The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by budgie291
Hello, can anyone give me an idea of what my notice period is? I've only been working in Sainsbury's since the beginning of June but intend to leave mid-September so I will only just be out of my introductory 3 months. I'm not sure when to hand my notice in as my induction pack just says something like "Ask line manager for individual notice periods". I don't want to let them know I'm going to leave yet incase they get rid of me first, which they can because I haven't passed my probation period, and I really need the money for now!

The standard notice period is 4 weeks. On my resignation letter, I told them the date my resignation period began and the date of my last shift. No one questioned that. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
The standard notice period is 4 weeks. On my resignation letter, I told them the date my resignation period began and the date of my last shift. No one questioned that. :smile:

Ok thanks! :smile: I wasn't sure if it differed according to length of service.
Original post by budgie291
Ok thanks! :smile: I wasn't sure if it differed according to length of service.

I'm not sure about that. I think once you have been there a month or so, you are expected to give that set 4 week notice period. [Although I am sure some people don't, especially if they don't care about the reference etc.] :smile:
Reply 8963
I think for every year you've been there after 4 years, you have to give them another weeks notice, i.e. 5 weeks if you've been there 5 years. I think that goes up to 12 weeks for 12 years, and then it stays at 12 weeks regardless.

That's what I seem to remember from my contract but I haven't read that for a while.
Reply 8964
Does anyone know when the 3 day waiting rule for sick pay no longer applies, like after how many years of service?
Original post by DDS
Does anyone know when the 3 day waiting rule for sick pay no longer applies, like after how many years of service?

I'm pretty certain I was told it's 2 years.
Original post by FXX
I think for every year you've been there after 4 years, you have to give them another weeks notice, i.e. 5 weeks if you've been there 5 years. I think that goes up to 12 weeks for 12 years, and then it stays at 12 weeks regardless.

That's what I seem to remember from my contract but I haven't read that for a while.

Oh my. That is a hell of a long time isn't it! Especially if you were working as a checkout assistant or something, rather than being in the office or being a manager of some sort. :eek:
Original post by DDS

yep, 2 years
Reply 8968
Original post by FXX

No, that's not right; that's how long they'll give you if your store is going to close or you're about to lose your job - and that's only in an RGS contract [of which most Sainsbury colleague contracts are].
Reply 8969
Might seem like a stupid question but,

Me and my friend were told if we were finished we could leave early by our line manager (we had places to go).

We left an hour early, so do we owe that time back?
Original post by Swell
Might seem like a stupid question but,

Me and my friend were told if we were finished we could leave early by our line manager (we had places to go).

We left an hour early, so do we owe that time back?

I don't think so, your manager probably would have said then. You'll probably not get paid for that hour though. Was it a contracted shift or overtime?

Anyone know what we're supposed to do with uniform that doesn't fit us anymore? I keep meaning to ask when I'm working but I keep forgetting and now I'm off until Saturday.
Reply 8971
Original post by Debbie2709
I don't think so, your manager probably would have said then. You'll probably not get paid for that hour though. Was it a contracted shift or overtime?

Anyone know what we're supposed to do with uniform that doesn't fit us anymore? I keep meaning to ask when I'm working but I keep forgetting and now I'm off until Saturday.

Contracted hours, i'll probably make the hour up but just thought i'd better check. Cheers :smile:
Original post by Debbie2709

Just go and ask HR if they have any uniforms in stock if not you'll need to order some and it might take a while for you too get it.
hi ive been working in online for the past year, 6am starts. seeing as im going back to college next month i asked to switch departments for later starts just so i can rest and catch up on coursework and revision.

I'm moving to checkouts and was just wondering if theres any positives working on this department because ive been mostly seeing negative posts lol its got me a bit worried :eek: :confused:.

if anyone could help then id appreciate it :smile:
Original post by confused1993
hi ive been working in online for the past year, 6am starts. seeing as im going back to college next month i asked to switch departments for later starts just so i can rest and catch up on coursework and revision.

I'm moving to checkouts and was just wondering if theres any positives working on this department because ive been mostly seeing negative posts lol its got me a bit worried :eek: :confused:.

if anyone could help then id appreciate it :smile:

I just want to say that a lot of my complaints are store specific so don't worry about anything I've said too much.

Positives:
You can meet some lovely customers that just make your day.
The work is so easy when you get the hang of it.
There is opportunity for variation through basket runs, left behinds, self scan, kiosk and CID.
If the shop is quiet or you are overstaffed you can get away with sitting there doing nothing.
You're told to take your break (can be good if you're like me and don't really want a break if you like what you're doing) and you can get away with extending them a bit sometimes.
There's usually lots of overtime available (unless your store is cutting back).
You usually don't have to take people to the shelf so you don't really have to know exactly where everything is.
Reply 8975
Had my first proper day today in store - training in store as a CTS. The people there are genuinely amongst the nicest people I have ever worked with. The best kind of people to be around!

I LOVED the till part, just a shame I shan't be doing much [if any] till work once I've my probationary period is over and I'm a fully qualified CTS :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8976
Original post by WDooley1
Well the training thing is quite alarming as I like to be re-trained to another company's standard and ethics. The interview process was quite good - I like the test, I enjoyed the roleplay [the interview itself was a tad shoddy, I don't think the manager was on the ball that day, so to speak].

The maximum 3% bonus for colleagues and the lower management [i.e. team leaders, CTS] is appalling, not going to lie. Really appalling. This is mainly because I come from the hospitality sector, where the bonus scheme is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE - as a shift manager for JD Wetherspoon, you can walk out with up to 25% bonus of your salary per month as a shift manager, and as a pub manager up to 50% + free meals on shift, and 50% off in any Wetherspoon pub in the country. So compared to this, Sainsbury's doesn't really live up. However, the package as a whole is good enough, and the prospects are great.

What was the induction like for some of you guys? I've read EVERY single page of this thread over the last week, and there's not a whole lot about the induction. One question I am begging for somebody to answer - my induction is 9:30-3:00 on Friday - after this, will I settle into my rota straight away? I've already been given my hours, I just want to know how soon it will be that I begin to work them. Need a good pay packet! :biggrin:

Once your induction is finished, you'll start working straght away.

You've probaally had your induction already, but i'll explain it for the benefit of others.

Induction ends to to be spread over a period of 2 days. Day one will be legals stuff, like health and safety, fire training, think 25 training, company policies etc. People usually get their uniform on this day. If you have special requirements for uniform, it will be ordered now.

Day two will usually consist of finishing anything from day one that didn't get covered, and then any job specific training.

Depending on your stores policy, (Ad your job isn't already on checkouts), you may be told you need to be till trained on day 3.
Reply 8977
Original post by gunners r us
when they say "applicants must live within 5miles of the store" are they serious?

I worked for Sainsburys for 2 years before i went to Uni and the store i worked at was around 9miles away and i still got there fine.

It probably means its a local store, and you'll have very early shifts, at which time, busses/trains may not be running. It may also mean there is no car parking facilities.
Reply 8978
How does this 'dual store' system work?

Because i'm off to uni in September so i'd like to move to a Sheffield store. Every time i've mentioned it i've always got the reply 'sort it out nearer the time' which is fair enough but i'd just like to know what goes on...

Cheers in advance.
Reply 8979
I would also like to know how this dual store things works and when is the best time to apply for it given that we get our results on the 18th of August and if I get in then I have to move in by the 7th of September.

Latest

Trending

Trending