The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Uni Halls 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by G550NDH
nice one mate ! Cool cool ... do you mean the glasgow bit or the arsenal bit ? :wink:

Arsenal! :P
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 41
Just got accepted at Cairncross House. Cheapest one, but still much more expensive than the Hungarian fees (it is maximum 12000 HUF per month here which is roughly 40 pounds, but most rooms are cheaper than that). Looking forward to it!
Reply 42
Original post by EffigyWellington
Murano gets a lot of bad rep, and while some of it certainly is due, some of it is grossly exaggerated. Sure, Maryhill/Ruchill is a ****hole without any qualifications. The facilities are ****ty. Everything's crowded. You share the loo.

But sod it, it's still the cheapest, and from my experience the people most prone to partying generally end up there, meaning you get the feeling that everyone knows each other. It's not that far from uni either. While I would never live in Murano again, I sure would never choose any other uni accomodation over it.

QM appears completely dead, from what I hear. I get the impression that a lot of people less interested in meeting new people end up there. Wolfson is hardly even in Glasgow, and is only really convenient if you're a Vet.

This made me feel alot better about coming to Glasgow (I know it's a bit pathetic but everyone else I know is staying alot closer to home)! I've applied for 10-12 person flat in Murano, CANNOT WAIT to partaaaaay :wink:
Reply 43
I can't wait to get my offer made unconditional so I can get my number 1 choice - 10/12 person murano flat. What's the point of being a student if you don't party all the time? I'm gonna be 250 miles away from home so want something to take my mind off being homesick! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by -Jake-
I can't wait to get my offer made unconditional so I can get my number 1 choice - 10/12 person murano flat. What's the point of being a student if you don't party all the time? I'm gonna be 250 miles away from home so want something to take my mind off being homesick! :biggrin:

Well, I'm gonna be about 1,200 miles away from home so I hope for the same :biggrin:
Original post by Rajna
Well, I'm gonna be about 1,200 miles away from home so I hope for the same :biggrin:

Well, I'm going to be 10,200 miles away from home!! :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by drunkenbozo
Well, I'm going to be 10,200 miles away from home!! :biggrin:

You won, congrats :P hopefully exam results will be directly proportional to distance from home :biggrin:
Reply 47
I've not applied yet, when is a reasonable time to apply to have a good chance of getting a decent choice?

I'm not entirely sure what catagory I fall under either, I live in Edinburgh which I had sort of assumed would be far enough away but apparently it might not be. Can't imagine commuting every day to Glasgow to go to Uni but apparently that might be catagory B.
Reply 48
Original post by Jmothecat
I've not applied yet, when is a reasonable time to apply to have a good chance of getting a decent choice?

I'm not entirely sure what catagory I fall under either, I live in Edinburgh which I had sort of assumed would be far enough away but apparently it might not be. Can't imagine commuting every day to Glasgow to go to Uni but apparently that might be catagory B.

I was always told the best accomodation goes, so I applied like the day the applications went online back in febuary, and did get my first choice. But don't worry about the category, I'm from Edinburgh too and it's category A or whatever, so you will get some halls :smile:
Reply 49
what rubbish that QM will be crappy for social life! your halls will be what you make them to be - not what you've heard from one or two people!! I can't wait to go to QM in September, I'm sure everyone there will be up for as much as the other halls :smile: I know I am definitely be up for meeting new people and going out as much as possible!
Reply 50
Original post by piseag
what rubbish that QM will be crappy for social life! your halls will be what you make them to be - not what you've heard from one or two people!! I can't wait to go to QM in September, I'm sure everyone there will be up for as much as the other halls :smile: I know I am definitely be up for meeting new people and going out as much as possible!

spot on .. **** YEAH ! This is exactly what i think. You make your own experience ! I got accepted into QM so i can't bloody wait =D Maybe il see you around there haha !
I'm wondering about Accommodation. I went on the tour of Murano today and the place looked bleak and fairly depressing.

Is all the uni accommodation for Glasgow uni in the middle of nowhere (like there seemed to be no high street, bars, nothing of note anywhere near it)?

Murano does look like a prison, but if you want a party hall that's the place to be. It's got a reputation of being very social.

QM is near Byers road but since it's ensuite it's more expensive.

Cairncross is near Finnieston, which is basically right by the River Clyde, and is nearer to town so you can save on travel.

I'd say out of all the halls (theres about 5 I think) Murano is the one that's furthest away and in the middle of nowhere.

Apply as soon as you can the deadline for guaranteed accomadation is sometime this month. The sooner you do it the better chance you'll get a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending