The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Unirider - worth it or not?

Just wondering whether or not a Unirider is worth buying? I'm living at Richmond Park in Fallowfields and I've been on the official website and it seems to be pretty good value? But does it actually serve the areas that students need to get to and from and are the buses regular? Would I be able to use my unirider to get to Asda, for example? How far does the network go? Is it significantly better value than buying a weekly pass or just buying individual trips?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it. I also read on another thread that you can get special deals during freshers weeks, if so, roughly what price would it be and what time scale does it cover?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unirider is Stagecoach and covers all of South Manchester. The ASDA has over a dozen buses pass by it very regularly and the Unirider is used on the majority of these buses. Stagecoach buses do operate throughout Fallowfield and all the way into central Manchester therefore you'll also have no problems getting to the University buildings especially since Oxford Road is one of the busiest bus routes in Europe.

It's well worth the money in my opinion.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Yeah it's definitely worth it. You can also use the nice stagecoach buses and avoid the more crowded (but cheaper) magic buses, the unirider works for both though.
Reply 3
Original post by euanb23
Just wondering whether or not a Unirider is worth buying? I'm living at Richmond Park in Fallowfields and I've been on the official website and it seems to be pretty good value? But does it actually serve the areas that students need to get to and from and are the buses regular? Would I be able to use my unirider to get to Asda, for example? How far does the network go? Is it significantly better value than buying a weekly pass or just buying individual trips?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it. I also read on another thread that you can get special deals during freshers weeks, if so, roughly what price would it be and what time scale does it cover?

Yes, without a doubt it is worth it. It'll work all over Manchester, in all the areas you want to go to. You would be able to go to Asda, but the route is a bit inconvenient (you have to take the 86 from the city), but doable. No way does it work out easier buying individual trips, and the weekly passes are more expensive too.

It works September - July (all the time you should be in uni) but I'm not sure how good the Fresher's deals are; if you can buy it online, then I would do so, it's normally cheaper there anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Strangey
Yes, without a doubt it is worth it. It'll work all over Manchester, in all the areas you want to go to. You would be able to go to Asda, but the route is a bit inconvenient (you have to take the 86 from the city), but doable. No way does it work out easier buying individual trips, and the weekly passes are more expensive too.

It works September - July (all the time you should be in uni) but I'm not sure how good the Fresher's deals are; if you can buy it online, then I would do so, it's normally cheaper there anyway.

They usually do the deal you can get online (£10/20 off or something) at the welcome fair in the union.
Reply 5
They are definitely worth it as a weekly Megarider (ticket for all Stagecoach & Magic buses) is £11.50. I regret not buying the unirider when I was in college as they work with college IDs as well.
Reply 6
If you live in Fallowfield then it's definitely worth it as you'll be getting a bus to uni everyday!

Original post by lukeyN
They usually do the deal you can get online (£10/20 off or something) at the welcome fair in the union.

As LukeyN said, there'll be a stall during the welcome fair / freshers week where you can get unirider at a discounted price I believe, don't quote me on that though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
hey what is this unirider? I'm thinking of living in Didsbury if I can find somewhere so would I be able to use it on routes from didsbury to centre??
Reply 8
Original post by 93294
hey what is this unirider? I'm thinking of living in Didsbury if I can find somewhere so would I be able to use it on routes from didsbury to centre??

I live in that area and yes you would. You can use it on any stagecoach/magic bus. The alternative is a mega rider for about £11.50 a week which you can use on the same two types of bus. Or a pass that costs about £7 a week (possibly called an easy rider, can't remember the exact name) that you can only use on blue magic buses.

The Uni rider is great value and will get your use out of it living in didsbury. The only thing is if you lose it, that's it.
Reply 9
100% worth it. Especially since your in Fallowfield.
Reply 10
Is it worth it if you live in victoria hall (UBS)? It's kinda close to uni...
Reply 11
Original post by ilovefood
Is it worth it if you live in victoria hall (UBS)? It's kinda close to uni...

Most people still get the bus passes in victoria, unless you know you'll be walking all of the time.
Reply 12
I'll be getting the unirider because I work in Stockport which is around half an hour away on a bus. Unirider is good because it gives you flexibility of being able to work anywhere in East and South Manchester (including Stockport borough)
Reply 13
Original post by Subclique
I'll be getting the unirider because I work in Stockport which is around half an hour away on a bus. Unirider is good because it gives you flexibility of being able to work anywhere in East and South Manchester (including Stockport borough)

Hey thats good to know, do you know if it covers as far south as Pear Mill Industrial Estate SK6 2BP. As i'm hoping to do quite a bit of climbing there and if the bus also goes there then it is a no brainer :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by dipless
Hey thats good to know, do you know if it covers as far south as Pear Mill Industrial Estate SK6 2BP. As i'm hoping to do quite a bit of climbing there and if the bus also goes there then it is a no brainer :biggrin:

Sorry to but in, stagecoach runs all over stockport. (Sk postcodes). I very rarely see another bus company.

To get to stockport you would want a 192 from town, which runs every couple of minutes. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by snufkin_
Sorry to but in, stagecoach runs all over stockport. (Sk postcodes). I very rarely see another bus company.

To get to stockport you would want a 192 from town, which runs every couple of minutes. :smile:

Not butting in at all :biggrin:

Thank you very much and is the Uni rider usable on this route?
Reply 16
Is there not a bus pass for the entire city?
Reply 17
Original post by dipless
Not butting in at all :biggrin:

Thank you very much and is the Uni rider usable on this route?

Yep, the 192 is all stagecoach.

The magic busses are the busses that run all the time from fallowfield to town, they look different to most stagecoach busses but are still run by stagecoach, so you can still use them :smile:

If you go on the stagecoach website you can do a route finder, which tells you which busses to get.

I've never had a problem with the stagecoach busses.

Ooo and you can also get the 203 from town to stockport, but it goes through gorton and reddish and takes a little longer than the 192 but only by about 5-10 minutes.
Reply 18
Original post by snufkin_
Yep, the 192 is all stagecoach.

The magic busses are the busses that run all the time from fallowfield to town, they look different to most stagecoach busses but are still run by stagecoach, so you can still use them :smile:

If you go on the stagecoach website you can do a route finder, which tells you which busses to get.

I've never had a problem with the stagecoach busses.

Ooo and you can also get the 203 from town to stockport, but it goes through gorton and reddish and takes a little longer than the 192 but only by about 5-10 minutes.

Cheers for that :biggrin: makes the bus pass a no brainer for me really as i'll be heading that way at least a couple of times a week :biggrin:

So Uni Rider is pretty much any stage coach in south and east of Manc? yeah?

Thanks for the replies :awesome:
Reply 19
I remember trying to work out if it would be cheaper for me to buy weekly tickets for the whole of the year, but I just ended up coming to the conclusion that the yearly UniRider actually is worth it. I can't remember by how much cheaper it was, but it means you don't have to buy a new one every week anyway. I lived in Fallowfield.

You'll get annoyed if there isn't a bus into Uni within 3 minutes, seriously.

Original post by Davethedavedave
Is there not a bus pass for the entire city?

I remember someone telling me that the UniRider is only Oxford Road, but I'm not sure about that. Admittedly I'm not even sure because I don't think I've ever used a bus that wasn't on the main Oxford Road route. Perhaps I should explore a bit more...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending