The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amy Luo
will they definitely send out the letters today?

Probably all colleges do it differently. My sister received her letter from Downing last year first thing in the morning so they obviously posted it the day before.
Best of luck to you all!

I'm sure nobody wants to consider it right now, but as someone who didn't meet their offer first time round, I can assure you that, whilst it's pretty devastating at the time, it really is NOT the end of the world. I got feedback from the college, it was good feedback, so I reapplied the next cycle and got in unconditionally. Just something to bear in mind!

If Cambridge is where you want to be, and you've shown yourself capable of receiving an offer, there's no real reason why you shouldn't end up there in the long run (even if, like my boyfriend, you have to reapply three times :P). So, GOOD LUCK.

P.S. It seems a shame to have negged this. Obviously I hope everyone gets in - it's just worth considering that if you don't, it's absolutely not the end of Cambridge forever and forever...Anyway, good luck everyone :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jsadapa1
:bawling::eek4::grumble::headfire::hmpf::mad2::pinch::puppyeyes::rant::zomg::banghead:

My sentiments exactly!!!
Original post by steve_hall
Is it likely that we'll receive letters today? Has anyone received one, or even their post for today yet?

I got a letter, but it came at like midday (we no longer get a morning post in our area).
Reply 2404
Original post by Amy Luo
will the results be to our schools by the end of today or tomorrow?

They should already be there as far as I'm aware.
Original post by Amy Luo
will the results be to our schools by the end of today or tomorrow?

Today !!:smile:
Reply 2406
Original post by cpdavis
I just hope tomorrow a miracle happens and Emma are still taking me in :afraid:

I really feel for you! I remember how stressed out I was about A levels, and I didn't even have STEP on top of that. Just remember that not only do they frequently take people who miss their STEP offers, but that those people can go on to do really well. Fingers crossed for you :smile:

Is it likely that we'll receive letters today? Has anyone received one, or even their post for today yet?

Original post by Amy Luo
will they definitely send out the letters today?

There is no guarantee as to when you'll receive a letter. Different colleges will send them out at different times. It's exceedingly unlikely that anyone will receive a letter today, it's most likely to be tomorrow or Friday. In this case, your A level results and Track are probably going to be speedier indicators of your success than a letter. And don't forget, if you've met your offer then they have to take you, and if Track changes to Unconditional that means you're in. Don't panic if you don't receive a letter straight away.
Original post by musti123
I got a letter, but it came at like midday (we no longer get a morning post in our area).

No, we don't get a morning post here, either. So you heard from Cambridge before you received your results??
Original post by Zoedotdot
I really feel for you! I remember how stressed out I was about A levels, and I didn't even have STEP on top of that. Just remember that not only do they frequently take people who miss their STEP offers, but that those people can go on to do really well. Fingers crossed for you :smile:

Thanks :hugs: I really hope that I get to meet you, you are such a supportive person :biggrin:

:hugs:
Reply 2409
Original post by cpdavis
Thanks :hugs: I really hope that I get to meet you, you are such a supportive person :biggrin:

:hugs:

Aww, thanks :colondollar:
Reply 2410
is it possible to beg Imperial as well? or Imperial is even crueler since they didnt ask for my UMS marks to be sent.
Original post by Amy Luo
is it possible to beg Imperial as well? or Imperial is even crueler since they didnt ask for my UMS marks to be sent.

Imperial seemed a little tougher as they told me implicitly in my interview that they would not consider me if I missed the offer grades. They also told me that they didn't really like mature students as well - don't know if that affected it at all...
Reply 2412
Original post by PeeWeeDan
You're still an offer holder 'till you get there - and really most people do.

I know, but you can't help but freak out.

I think the reason I'm panicking so much is because it's Cambridge - there's so much more at stake in my mind.
Reply 2413
Original post by darkestskies
That's a VERY good thought. I'll cling on to that. :biggrin:

You should!
HAPPY THOUUUUGHTS :biggrin:

And now, for something completely different: A man with 3 buttocks....:biggrin: (just to make you smile :smile: )

:biggrin: (That's a Monty Python reference btw. xD)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2414
Imperial seemed a little tougher as they told me implicitly in my interview that they would not consider me if I missed the offer grades. They also told me that they didn't really like mature students as well - don't know if that affected it at all...

What? They don't like mature student? Well......
Original post by kpatb
I know, but you can't help but freak out.

I think the reason I'm panicking so much is because it's Cambridge - there's so much more at stake in my mind.

If it helps at all... dropping the C-bomb doesn't help with women at all. I know if I was told that when I was at your stage a large amount of the attraction to Cambridge would be gone!

Spoiler

No, we don't get a morning post here, either. So you heard from Cambridge before you received your results??

No first I heard was on UCAS track, which was a confirmation (I checked at like 8am, although i think judging by my FB newsfeed it was available from like 6am). I only got my letter after I got my A-level results.

UCAS track had my uni places at the status had changed from Firm to Confirmed (or something like that).
And it also had my results (actually I needed an A in all my further maths modules, so I wudnt have been able to tell if I got my offer from the results section alone)
Original post by Amy Luo
What? They don't like mature student? Well......

To be fair, the interviewer made it clear that this was his own view, not necessarily that of Imperial.
Very few people miss their offers. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll all be fine :smile:
Reply 2419
Original post by PeeWeeDan
If it helps at all... dropping the C-bomb doesn't help with women at all. I know if I was told that when I was at your stage a large amount of the attraction to Cambridge would be gone!

Spoiler

Don't tell me this now!!!! This was my main aspiration in applying to Cambridge :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending