The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2660
Original post by shinysheep
Christ's, for German and ab initio Russian. And thee?

Another ab initio Russianist :teeth: It's the best language :smile:
Original post by joe17292
Got in for natural sciences at Corpus Christi. :biggrin:

I got a pack of stuff from my college today, including a reading list (which was already on their website) and some maths questions and a form asking for exact results in all my modules.

I got in to corpus christi too :smile:

In your letter did you get a sheet about cambridge parties or something to go to before going to uni :s-smilie:
Hellooooo!
I haven't been on this in a while, so a massive well done to everyone who met their offer :biggrin:
I'm for French and Spanish (ab initio) at St John's...I'm still in a state of complete shock that I got in!
Original post by Zoedotdot
Another ab initio Russianist :teeth: It's the best language :smile:

But of course :biggrin: you are now, in my eyes, awesome. Which college?
Original post by kpatb
Hiii, Physical or Biological?
I'm doing Physical NatSci.

Just to know, is your reading list significantly different to the one on the NatSci Website?
(I'm only asking because post will take about 2 weeks to reach me -_- )

Which options are you interested in taking this year?

Hii :biggrin: No problem :smile: Excited? :biggrin:

Very very very :biggrin: yet also strangely terrified
I know I'm so keen, but anyone know when we find out who our college parents are ? :colondollar:
Christ's, for German and ab initio Russian. And thee?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey fellow Christ person...!:smile:
Original post by gethsemane342
Your mate's wrong. Essentially.

Exams are done in this way. Everyone is given a candidate number, on paper. They can't tell anyone (or any tutors) their number. The examiner will only see the number and not the name.

The exam is set by 1-2 academics and is then marked by 3-4 of them. Every paper is double-marked. This is because, although it is anonymous, some tutors will be able to recognise handwriting or maybe even ideas (for example, my land law supervisor probably set our paper this year. He's seen my handwriting before and I have a fairly distinctive style. He might not remember it was mine but it's possible he'd realise it was one of his supervisees. My EU supervisor was probably an examiner and I actually told him the week before the exam that if a certain point came up, I'd give a certain answer just for fun. That point, coincidentally, *did* come up and I gave the answer I told him I would). However, the double-marking ensures that someone who doesn't know you will also mark the paper and thus eliminate bias. For example, I didn't know any other land law academics (or rather, they don't know me. OK, one knows me as the girl she caught talking and giggling in a lecture but that's it) and I did know another EU supervisor who could have taken a guess, feasibly, as I was one of 8 2nd years doing the paper (compared to 220 3rd years). But that's the best she could have done.

If you are a borderline candidate your paper will be triple-marked. For example, I got 70 for my contract paper. This means 3 examiners marked my paper to check if I really was at a 1st standard rather than a 2.1.

Some subjects triple-mark anyway, just to be sure. They are also triple-marked if there is a large disrepancy between the first two examiners.

The law exam system is done in a painstaking manner to make sure there's no chance of favouritism or dodgy marking.

That was very helpful. Thanks. Whilst revising for my A levels i never thought i would say this but Im actually looking forward to working again...one other question: regarding pre reading, in how much should the books be read?
Reply 2668
Original post by 00Trooper00
NatSci at Jesus

Wooo

hey, i'm studying engineering in 2012 at Jesus college too.
Do you know much about Jesus college? I haven't got any infomation about it yet.
ie welcome pack and accommodation etc
Original post by rosietheology
I know I'm so keen, but anyone know when we find out who our college parents are ? :colondollar:

When they write to you, I'd imagine. In other words, :iiam:. Probably within the next week or two though. :p:
Reply 2670
Original post by bobby
Wow man I'm jealous. All I got today was a financial information document. Hopefully get some more interesting stuff soon.

Why would someone give you posrep for this? Anyway, don't worry, Robert, you'll get some more stuff soon.
Reply 2671
Original post by kpatb
Hiii, Physical or Biological?
I'm doing Physical NatSci.

Just to know, is your reading list significantly different to the one on the NatSci Website?
(I'm only asking because post will take about 2 weeks to reach me -_- )

Which options are you interested in taking this year?

They're exactly the same. I'm doing physical natsci, so probably maths, physics, chemistry and maybe material sciences. What about you?
Reply 2672
Original post by iammichealjackson
I got in to corpus christi too :smile:

In your letter did you get a sheet about cambridge parties or something to go to before going to uni :s-smilie:

Nice! Yeah, but I doubt I'll be going to one, however appealing it sounds...
Reply 2673
I'm in :smile: English at John's, a bit worried that I haven't received a reading list or anything other than my acceptance letter... should I have done?
Original post by nadz123456
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey fellow Christ person...!:smile:

And a hellooooooooo to you too :biggrin: What subject?
Reply 2675
But of course :biggrin: you are now, in my eyes, awesome. Which college?

I'm at Emma, but I'm about to start my fourth year :smile: I spent my year abroad in Moscow. So if you have any questions about Russian fire them my way :smile:
Original post by Zoedotdot
I'm at Emma, but I'm about to start my fourth year :smile: I spent my year abroad in Moscow. So if you have any questions about Russian fire them my way :smile:

Very snazzy and (and very kind of you ):smile:
How was the year abroad? Did you spend the whole time in Russia?
And a hellooooooooo to you too :biggrin: What subject?

Law for me, I take it you're doing languages. Are you an international/home student....?

You excited much...? I can't wait to start in October...:smile:
Reply 2678
Original post by joe17292
Got in for natural sciences at Corpus Christi. :biggrin:

I got a pack of stuff from my college today, including a reading list (which was already on their website) and some maths questions and a form asking for exact results in all my modules.

Yay for more Corpus people! :smile: I'm going to do engineering there, apparently as one of only three people. But I guess I should have expected that chosing such a small college...

Anyway, did you get your letter in the mail or in email? Because the only thing I got so far was an email with reading I need to do before the course starts. No standard moving-to-college-related welcome package or anything.
Original post by nadz123456
Law for me, I take it you're doing languages. Are you an international/home student....?

You excited much...? I can't wait to start in October...:smile:

Ooo law, very nice - congratulations :smile:
I am indeed doing languages and am ridiculously excited.
A home student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending