The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jesss9
Thanks :smile: and no i'm not going to uni as I'm only 16 :colondollar: so I'm starting sixth form next year :cool:

:awesome: I remember starting sixth form, it was super fun. I moved schools and I met loads of new friends and had a blast. Are you staying on at your school or moving to a college? Both can be good as there's an influx of new people and you can make new friends. I met three of my best female friends at sixth form and we're still in frequent contact despite having graduated from university! :yes:
Reply 6261
Original post by Réglisse
:awesome: I remember starting sixth form, it was super fun. I moved schools and I met loads of new friends and had a blast. Are you staying on at your school or moving to a college? Both can be good as there's an influx of new people and you can make new friends. I met three of my best female friends at sixth form and we're still in frequent contact despite having graduated from university! :yes:

That's good :biggrin: I'm moving to a new one so I guess that's an opportunity to meet new people :cool:
Well really good luck! I hope you make lots of friends and have an awesome time :biggrin:
Hi guys,
Just joining because my boyfriend of 14 months has just left to spend a year in China, for his year abroad as he is a languages student.
Any tips? Feeling pretty miserable about it already, but trying to keep my chin up x
Hi,

So me and my boyfriend of 8 months will be going to different unis come September - Kent and Warwick - and we've decided to try the whole LDR thing, but I can't stop thinking about how much our relationship is going to change and how difficult it's going to be. We've talked about it many times and we think it's worth a shot, but I just don't know how it can work when we will see each other at best once a month. I just don't want what we've got to change and I know it will. And I don't want to his time at uni to be ruined because of me, because he's missing me or whatever, but at the moment the idea of breaking up is abhorrent.
Any advice - literally any - on LDRs would be really appreciated! Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So me and my boyfriend of 8 months will be going to different unis come September - Kent and Warwick - and we've decided to try the whole LDR thing, but I can't stop thinking about how much our relationship is going to change and how difficult it's going to be. We've talked about it many times and we think it's worth a shot, but I just don't know how it can work when we will see each other at best once a month. I just don't want what we've got to change and I know it will. And I don't want to his time at uni to be ruined because of me, because he's missing me or whatever, but at the moment the idea of breaking up is abhorrent.
Any advice - literally any - on LDRs would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Look, you will be fine, whatever happens. Encourage each other to go out, make friends, have an active social life. That is what university is for; make sure you both make the most of it or you'll wind up resenting each other. On the other hand, organise times to skype each other and plan trips and fun things to do when you do meet. (Apart from the obvious, lol :wink: ) Try your best not be jealous and build up a good network of friends. You never know, time apart might strengthen your relationship :smile:
Reply 6266
Original post by scaryhair
Hi guys,
Just joining because my boyfriend of 14 months has just left to spend a year in China, for his year abroad as he is a languages student.
Any tips? Feeling pretty miserable about it already, but trying to keep my chin up x

Private message me if you feeling that lonely : )

On a serious note, one year will pass so quick you will hardly notice. Just stay caliber for a year, not that difficult if you ask me. Where there is a will there is a way, depends how much you like your BF and how much he cares for you...

Just read the above statement by Réglisse and apply it to yourself too : )
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by scaryhair
Hi guys,

Oh, that's what I'm doing too :smile: Basically, keep in contact as much as possible without it being an intrusion on your life. Give each other skype calls at a certain hour, emails as much as possible, and plan things to do when you see him next.
It will get easier, trust me :smile:
Reply 6268
read this thread a lot, never post..

in a so far successful LDR! we've not known any different tho.. it's always been LDR. last seen him 2 weeks ago, next time, next weekend :smile:
Reply 6269
Original post by chi'ch
read this thread a lot, never post..

in a so far successful LDR! we've not known any different tho.. it's always been LDR. last seen him 2 weeks ago, next time, next weekend :smile:

How long has it been going on for?

are you planning on living together anytime soon?

:smile:
Well I guess I've kinda just got into an LDR...no idea if it'll work/how it'll work, but get to spend all next weekend with him before probably not seeing him for quite some time :frown:
Reply 6271
Original post by C_B_C
How long has it been going on for?

are you planning on living together anytime soon?

:smile:

ehh about 9 months, tho friends beforehand since 2004 time

and if things are still going good when we finish uni then yeah.. it's likely, but that's still ages away, so still time to see how serious things are, decide etc

we both finish around the same time (i'm in a spring intake, and i'm half way thru yr 2, so by the feb after next, and he's a yr on placement and then his final yr of uni.. so the summer time just after me)

so we'll see how things are then :smile:

but for now.. bring on next weekend :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fou
Private message me if you feeling that lonely : )

On a serious note, one year will pass so quick you will hardly notice. Just stay caliber for a year, not that difficult if you ask me. Where there is a will there is a way, depends how much you like your BF and how much he cares for you...

Just read the above statement by Réglisse and apply it to yourself too : )

Original post by Réglisse
Oh, that's what I'm doing too :smile: Basically, keep in contact as much as possible without it being an intrusion on your life. Give each other skype calls at a certain hour, emails as much as possible, and plan things to do when you see him next.
It will get easier, trust me :smile:

Thanks for the advice guys, we're planning to email as much as possible and then skype once or twice a week. The longest we've not seen each other was 5 weeks but that was right at the start of our relationship so it seems a lot harder now! I'm hoping once uni gets started again we'll both have enough distractions to think about it too much!
I'm going to Uni in October and thus will be leaving my darling man (who has already completed uni and his Masters). Thankfully we're not as far away as some of you guys, it's only an hour on the train and the trains are quite regular.

I'm just scared! I really do adore him but everyone always says that university changes people and I don't want to be so changed that he feels we can't be together any more.

How often do you recommend we Skype/FaceTime and talk on the phone? I'd love to be able to talk to him constantly, but I don't want to a) have no friends at uni or b) suffocate the relationship. I'm just really nervous. He's been so helpful with getting me ready for uni and I kinda feel guilty that I'm leaving him...
Reply 6274
Original post by skunky x
I'm going to Uni in October and thus will be leaving my darling man (who has already completed uni and his Masters). Thankfully we're not as far away as some of you guys, it's only an hour on the train and the trains are quite regular.

I'm just scared! I really do adore him but everyone always says that university changes people and I don't want to be so changed that he feels we can't be together any more.

How often do you recommend we Skype/FaceTime and talk on the phone? I'd love to be able to talk to him constantly, but I don't want to a) have no friends at uni or b) suffocate the relationship. I'm just really nervous. He's been so helpful with getting me ready for uni and I kinda feel guilty that I'm leaving him...

An hour is NOTHING. You could be in the same city and take that long to see each other.
About the skype thing... there's no rule to it. It's not a balance. Just play it by ear! If you feel like seeing him on skype, text him and ask if he has half an hour to spare. If your both busy, I'm sure you'll be seeing eachother a few days later (if that!).
At an hour away, you'll end up spending a lot of nights together. You'll def. make friends, and he'll meet them when he comes over to see you.

Yeah, you'll change. You'll change for the better. And there's no reason you'll end up breaking up with him or anything.

Uni's ****ing awesome, you'll love it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by C_B_C
An hour is NOTHING. You could be in the same city and take that long to see each other.
About the skype thing... there's no rule to it. It's not a balance. Just play it by ear! If you feel like seeing him on skype, text him and ask if he has half an hour to spare. If your both busy, I'm sure you'll be seeing eachother a few days later (if that!).
At an hour away, you'll end up spending a lot of nights together. You'll def. make friends, and he'll meet them when he comes over to see you.

Yeah, you'll change. You'll change for the better. And there's no reason you'll end up breaking up with him or anything.

Uni's fu*king awesome, you'll love it.

I know it's only an hour- I mean it takes an hour to see him at the moment, but I have free bus travel and occasionally get lifts from my Dad (and it's 1/2 an hour by car which isn't too bad). It just feels different because we no longer live in the same place. It's weird... If he's paying for trains, he won't be able to come up nearly as much.

Thank you for the vote of confidence/
Original post by skunky x

That's basically a short distance relationship tbf. See each other on the weekend and keep in touch a bit throughout the week. And yeah you might change but I can speak as someone who also has a mister who's done his masters and so on and say you'll probably just be closer if you work at it since he's been through it all as well and it's something to bond over.
Both my boyfriend and i are going to uni this september (im going to wales and he's in notts) so we probably wont be able to see eachother much but we are still going to try :smile:
One teenie problem--My parents don't know i'm in a relationship with him (they dont really know him-met him once while drunk- but still think he's not right for me), i've been with him for 6 months now by just sort of not quite telling them exactly who i'm in town with/sleeping over with (yes i hate lying but if you met my parents you'd get it) so i'm just wondering will it be easier or worse once i'm in uni???
Does anyone else have very controlling parents? Did it get better once you were living somewhere else??
Original post by IsabelleMarie
Both my boyfriend and i are going to uni this september (im going to wales and he's in notts) so we probably wont be able to see eachother much but we are still going to try :smile:
One teenie problem--My parents don't know i'm in a relationship with him (they dont really know him-met him once while drunk- but still think he's not right for me), i've been with him for 6 months now by just sort of not quite telling them exactly who i'm in town with/sleeping over with (yes i hate lying but if you met my parents you'd get it) so i'm just wondering will it be easier or worse once i'm in uni???
Does anyone else have very controlling parents? Did it get better once you were living somewhere else??

Surely your parents won't know you've gone to see him whilst you're at uni? In any case it would be easier and uni will give you the confidence to be whoever you want to be and do whatever you want to do :smile:
Original post by IsabelleMarie

Surely your parents won't know you've gone to see him whilst you're at uni? In any case it would be easier and uni will give you the confidence to be whoever you want to be and do whatever you want to do :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending