The Student Room Group

Should I try long distance at 17?

I've been dating this boy for 2 months (we've known 1 year) and it's been the most lovely time. We've met only twice, and that for short intervals, but the latter of the time we text a lot and video call frequently. His mom and my own mom knows about this even though mine is very strict so she doesn't really agree with the idea of me dating (We come from a VERY controversial country where dating as a teen is almost taboo)
We share almost the same interests, and we connect with each other really easily. I feel special with him and i know he's an innocent guy cz my friends have gone to tuition classes with him and thus, know him really well.

I'll be moving to the UK in a few months and our only concern is : Are we going to continue?
I surely do love him but even I feel the time we've dated is too short to say I REALLY LOVE HIM FROM THE DEEPEST OF HEARTS. Another concern is, we're 17, and to end this long distance it'll take up at least another 3 years minimum to reunite and if we'll ever be able to cope up that long...

Pls, help me on this matter
I was also really really in love with my boyfriend after just a short amount of time of being together and thought he was the one and that we were exactly the same people and we also struggled to meet up at first, and then it became a kinda long-distance relationship and it broke down badly and we broke up (still not over it). So, not to be pessimistic, but it probably won't last, specially cos you're only 17. But there's no harm in trying. Just be realistic. And make sure to communicate properly.
Original post by SinaliB
I've been dating this boy for 2 months (we've known 1 year) and it's been the most lovely time. We've met only twice, and that for short intervals, but the latter of the time we text a lot and video call frequently. His mom and my own mom knows about this even though mine is very strict so she doesn't really agree with the idea of me dating (We come from a VERY controversial country where dating as a teen is almost taboo)
We share almost the same interests, and we connect with each other really easily. I feel special with him and i know he's an innocent guy cz my friends have gone to tuition classes with him and thus, know him really well.

I'll be moving to the UK in a few months and our only concern is : Are we going to continue?
I surely do love him but even I feel the time we've dated is too short to say I REALLY LOVE HIM FROM THE DEEPEST OF HEARTS. Another concern is, we're 17, and to end this long distance it'll take up at least another 3 years minimum to reunite and if we'll ever be able to cope up that long...

Pls, help me on this matter

Hey! I can sort of relate to this as well. Before when I was dating my ex we were going long distance. Some words of advice before starting LDR ask him, if he is ready to put in the effort and will communicate with you regularly (i.e., schedule calls). I would also suggest if he has any intentions in ever visiting you? My ex broke off with me because he missed my physical presence and our different paths. I sometimes wish I ended things with my ex before we went LDR as I was very naive and thought my needs were being met (when in reality they were not).

On the positive note LDR can be very rewarding as I have seen with my friend! Who went through what you are currently now. She has been with this guy since 18 and it has been almost 2 years :smile: So as long as your communication is strong and you both have intentions to visit each other I would go for it.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey! I can sort of relate to this as well. Before when I was dating my ex we were going long distance. Some words of advice before starting LDR ask him, if he is ready to put in the effort and will communicate with you regularly (i.e., schedule calls). I would also suggest if he has any intentions in ever visiting you? My ex broke off with me because he missed my physical presence and our different paths. I sometimes wish I ended things with my ex before we went LDR as I was very naive and thought my needs were being met (when in reality they were not).

On the positive note LDR can be very rewarding as I have seen with my friend! Who went through what you are currently now. She has been with this guy since 18 and it has been almost 2 years :smile: So as long as your communication is strong and you both have intentions to visit each other I would go for it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

ah he's the one who actually suggested long distance. We initially started off as a short term thing but we...got attached. TOO attached. we have strong communication like we text a lot, catching up on our days and we also get serious when discussing matters. We're gonna try and see what'll happen, and yes, THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE <3
Original post by Anonymous
I was also really really in love with my boyfriend after just a short amount of time of being together and thought he was the one and that we were exactly the same people and we also struggled to meet up at first, and then it became a kinda long-distance relationship and it broke down badly and we broke up (still not over it). So, not to be pessimistic, but it probably won't last, specially cos you're only 17. But there's no harm in trying. Just be realistic. And make sure to communicate properly.

the fact we're still young is something that bothers us a lot. long distance terrifies me but i'm willing to give it a try, just on the promise to him that if it doesnt work out we'll still stay good friends? does that sound good?
Original post by SinaliB
ah he's the one who actually suggested long distance. We initially started off as a short term thing but we...got attached. TOO attached. we have strong communication like we text a lot, catching up on our days and we also get serious when discussing matters. We're gonna try and see what'll happen, and yes, THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE <3

Original post by SinaliB
the fact we're still young is something that bothers us a lot. long distance terrifies me but i'm willing to give it a try, just on the promise to him that if it doesnt work out we'll still stay good friends? does that sound good?

To be honest, with my LDR ex we said we would remain as friends. Even though we ended on good terms, I think I will probably not talk to him ever again mainly because we have different life paths. It really depends how you break up, if feelings were mutual at the time then maybe you might stay as friends. If one breaks up as they feel their needs aren't met, whilst the other thinks things are going fine, could be a bit more awkward to stay as friends.

Overall, I think you should try LDR. If it works kudos to you! I really do from the bottom of my heart hope it goes well. On the flip side if it doesn't work out this break up will teach you many lessons that will be useful in future relationships.
Original post by SinaliB

There's definitely no harm trying if that's what you both really want. But be wary about promising to stay good friends if you break up- that literally all depends on how messy your break-up is and is not something you can promise. It's hard to get past resentment in break-ups and that probably means you can't be friends for a least a good while after you break up, and possibly never. But you never know, sometimes young love actually does work out and you might be one of those lucky people and you'll never know till you try!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending