The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTallOne
When I applied (2009 entry) UCL gave more or less automatic offers to anyone who wrote on their PS that they got into BMO1 :colonhash:

Outside of Oxbridge, I'd say the applicant to offer rate for Maths courses are quite high (some like Warwick offer it to 93% of applicants).

I don't think that's true. In fact Warwick is the special case since they give out STEP offers as standard. I believe most others have very low offer rates - except also Cambridge which gives out offers to around 45% of applicants (due to the very high STEP offer).
Reply 1041
Which one out of Kings and Nottingham would you say is better for Maths? :smile:
Original post by ms93
Which one out of Kings and Nottingham would you say is better for Maths? :smile:

i would say kingz :colone: i will be applying there.....they ask around a*aa apparently :confused:
Reply 1043
Original post by Rahul.S
i would say kingz :colone: i will be applying there.....they ask around a*aa apparently :confused:

Its AAA if you have further maths :biggrin:
Yeah I'm applying there too, maths with management and finance :biggrin:
Original post by hassi94
I don't think that's true. In fact Warwick is the special case since they give out STEP offers as standard. I believe most others have very low offer rates - except also Cambridge which gives out offers to around 45% of applicants (due to the very high STEP offer).

Ok, from 2009 figures so about 1/3 of people with an offer firm Warwick and of those about 30% end up at Warwick in October. However, Oxbridge/Warwick/Imperial/Bristol/UCL/LSE/Durham are all very common choices for applicants and each of them (save Oxbridge) will have to offer at least three times the number of places they have. At an approximate applicants per place ratio of 7.5 - that's 40% of applicants getting an offer. If we then take into account some people miss this offer this figure could be more around 50%.
Gah, still can't choose universities:
For sure: Cam+Imp
Probably: UCL
Not sure: Warwick, Bristol, Soton and Kings.
Warwick in particular is bugging me. The course seems awesome and the number of modules in the 1st year looks really cool but I have no idea if I want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere for 3/4 years. Advice?
Original post by ben-smith
Warwick in particular is bugging me. The course seems awesome and the number of modules in the 1st year looks really cool but I have no idea if I want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere for 3/4 years. Advice?

visit them! I absolutely loved it at Warwick but I prefer the idea of a campus uni than a city uni. Its only half an hour away from Birmigham so not far from a big city. But if you are really worried about it go and visit the uni and local area to see how it is.
Original post by ms93
Its AAA if you have further maths :biggrin:
Yeah I'm applying there too, maths with management and finance :biggrin:

sik aaa is a good offer i guess....i heard sometimes they specify A in certain modules :confused:
dnumberwang
x

I'm sorry, I'm defecting from our not-applying-to-Warwick club. I've had a massive re-evaluation of unis, and the course at Warwick looks great enough to almost make up for the fields. I'd put York as an "well, I'll at least get one offer" place, but as Warwick gives everyone evil offers I don't need it, so I'm switching it to Warwick. Imperial's still just about in there. :biggrin:

Is anyone else going on the Warwick open day (24 September)? I'll be by myself.

You have similar choices to me last year :smile: It's worth visiting Warwick, I only went there for the first time long after I had my offer (and before I did visit I thought a campus university would be quite boring), but it's a lot better than it sounds, it's not really in the middle of nowhere like some people say.
Original post by TheTallOne
When I applied (2009 entry) UCL gave more or less automatic offers to anyone who wrote on their PS that they got into BMO1 :colonhash:

Outside of Oxbridge, I'd say the applicant to offer rate for Maths courses are quite high (some like Warwick offer it to 93% of applicants).

Original post by Reminisce
I just put olympiads on my PS since I went through to the Junior one, one or two IMOK (Cayley and ... can't remember now), Kangaroo and BMO1. Seems unfair to just put BMO1 since it took some effort to get into the others as well. :smile:

Original post by TheMagicMan
A guy I talked to at cambridge said one of the most common things on application were people saying they took the maths challenges, and that you should ony put something like that if you got to subsequent rounds such as BMO 1 and 2, FIST etc... Although I have heard very mixed opinions on exactly how correlated BMO and Tripos performance are.

Wow, OK... I thought my Best In School for Intermediate in Y10 was enough of an achievement! I've got some Golds in the Maths Challenge as well - should I just ignore all those for my PS then? :s-smilie:

Also, does anyone have any ideas as to roughly how many Maths applicants are successful in Maths Challenge before getting into/getting rejected by Cambridge (or Oxford)? That's got me worried now :colondollar:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Wow, OK... I thought my Best In School for Intermediate in Y10 was enough of an achievement! I've got some Golds in the Maths Challenge as well - should I just ignore all those for my PS then? :s-smilie:

Also, does anyone have any ideas as to roughly how many Maths applicants are successful in Maths Challenge before getting into/getting rejected by Cambridge (or Oxford)? That's got me worried now :colondollar:

I have no idea if there is a correlation between success in the Maths Challenges and an offer. I suspect there is some but as long you have some gold/silver at least, then it should be fine. Most people may take a liking to mathematics in year 12 (so indifferent in the years before) and may not have bothered with the MC before yet are actually quite capable of studying mathematics in Oxbridge. Plus, the style of the MC and Olympiads are different from what universities assess.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
I'm sorry, I'm defecting from our not-applying-to-Warwick club. I've had a massive re-evaluation of unis, and the course at Warwick looks great enough to almost make up for the fields. I'd put York as an "well, I'll at least get one offer" place, but as Warwick gives everyone evil offers I don't need it, so I'm switching it to Warwick. Imperial's still just about in there. :biggrin:

Is anyone else going on the Warwick open day (24 September)? I'll be by myself.

tbf I was always going to visit, just so I could confirm that I didn't want to go there :lol:

I might go to that open day or I might just go on any random day, I dunno lol
Original post by like_a_star
visit them! I absolutely loved it at Warwick but I prefer the idea of a campus uni than a city uni. Its only half an hour away from Birmigham so not far from a big city. But if you are really worried about it go and visit the uni and local area to see how it is.

University of Warwick: 50% in fields and 50% in Coventry :colonhash:

I'd suggest to anyone considering it to visit it first (especially if you are having doubts - the open days is late next month, registration opens in just over a week) the course and the department building is top notch and the degree is flexible from day one. In year one around 40% of your modules is your choice, rapidly increasing in later years. While it is a campus university, you have to live off campus after your first year and there are towns like (Royal) Leamington Spa where the majority of people live. So yeah, some people like city life and some people like campus life. I preferred the atmosphere at Warwick over Imperial and UCL, others may see it differently.

In 6 months time there will be threads like "Warwick or Imperial" posted on here - ultimately the course and career prospects are so similar that I think anyone who finds themselves in such a situation should consider the university as a whole, including cost, atmosphere and social life (I'd argue that it's better at Warwick :p:)
Reply 1054
Original post by Rahul.S
sik aaa is a good offer i guess....i heard sometimes they specify A in certain modules :confused:

Oh right, I have that. What are your grades like? Where else you thinking of applying? :smile:
Wow! I really kicked off a debate didnt I? haha :P

Original post by TheMagicMan
A guy I talked to at cambridge said one of the most common things on application were people saying they took the maths challenges, and that you should ony put something like that if you got to subsequent rounds such as BMO 1 and 2, FIST etc... Although I have heard very mixed opinions on exactly how correlated BMO and Tripos performance are.

I never got to those rounds but got 1 gold, 2 silvers....should I mention them? :/ I was actually quite proud!!

Original post by Xero Xenith

Im going to mention my gold/silvers....im proud of them and they're maths related so..... :smile:
Original post by ms93
Oh right, I have that. What are your grades like? Where else you thinking of applying? :smile:

my sig answers pretty much all of your questions. i'm firm on my choices now..
...just preparing for interview and exams in jan now :colone:
Reply 1057
Original post by Rahul.S
my sig answers pretty much all of your questions. i'm firm on my choices now..
...just preparing for interview and exams in jan now :colone:

Huh? :s-smilie:
Original post by ms93
Huh? :s-smilie:

ehh :confused: only confusion i guess....sig is signature....thing at the bottom lol :colone:
Reply 1059
Original post by Rahul.S
ehh :confused: only confusion i guess....sig is signature....thing at the bottom lol :colone:

I don't get how that answers my questions? :colondollar:

Latest