The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9400
Original post by cherrycola32
^ you don't get any special induction on bakery and I'm pretty sure its the same for counters, you just get thrown in the deep end on your first day!

as far as i know its health and safety the first day watching dvds and knowing the fire exits. I dont know about the 2nd day and if its in the evening then it will be probably be 3days.
Original post by hasm
The induction is definately at my place because they already told me. Also its for the counter (customer service assistant) but however they said to me they dont do individuals, it has to be a few people. Also i rang HRSS who said they have emailed the store. However it has been a day but still the store has not replied to the email. The inductions start next week on 5th so i dont know what will be happening. Il try give the store a call and also if they can only provide me with inductions which i cannot attend will have to withdraw my application?

All inductions that happen at my store are 3 days 9am-6am and its doesnt depend on the job you've got, everyone does the 3 days of health and safety, filling out forms and showing you around the store. If they have already given you the job then they should rearrange the induction, you might have too wait a while until they get more people to join you. Why is it you can go to the 9am-6am? If you dont mind me asking.
Reply 9402
Last shift today at 5 :biggrin:
Reply 9403
Original post by xangelinax

All inductions that happen at my store are 3 days 9am-6am and its doesnt depend on the job you've got, everyone does the 3 days of health and safety, filling out forms and showing you around the store. If they have already given you the job then they should rearrange the induction, you might have too wait a while until they get more people to join you. Why is it you can go to the 9am-6am? If you dont mind me asking.

Firstly you rote 9am-6am, its 9am to 6pm.

Its just that the inudction is 5 & 6 september, i can attend the 5th but cant attend the 6th as i will be starting college. How long do you reckon it will be? Because the interviewer told me they are desprate for people therefore you will be starting next week meaning starting on the 5th september or something.
Looks like I'm leaving Sainsbury's.

However, if I resign and the job falls through what is the likelihood of being able to return?

It's just that the job I have been offered still needs to collect references (I was offered today after an interview yesterday) but with a definite start date at the end of September so in order to work with the notice period I'm going to have to resign tomorrow despite the new job still seeking the reference.
Original post by KatrinaLou
Looks like I'm leaving Sainsbury's.

However, if I resign and the job falls through what is the likelihood of being able to return?

It's just that the job I have been offered still needs to collect references (I was offered today after an interview yesterday) but with a definite start date at the end of September so in order to work with the notice period I'm going to have to resign tomorrow despite the new job still seeking the reference.

Is one of the references Sainsbury's? :holmes:
Original post by morris743
Is one of the references Sainsbury's? :holmes:

Yes
Original post by hasm
Firstly you rote 9am-6am, its 9am to 6pm.

Its just that the inudction is 5 & 6 september, i can attend the 5th but cant attend the 6th as i will be starting college. How long do you reckon it will be? Because the interviewer told me they are desprate for people therefore you will be starting next week meaning starting on the 5th september or something.

Oh sorry for the am to am bit lol. Just let them know you cant do it, they obviously liked you if they gave you the job. In my store atm they are doing inductions and interviews every week, sometimes its just two people and other times I've seen 10 turn up. Also alot of people just cant start the job there and then if they have another job and have to give a few weeks notice or commitments like you have with college, if it was me and I was to start college or uni I'd try and get them to rearrange it. Phone the store if you can and talk to the trainer who will be doing your induction and explain to them and see what they say.
So applied yesterday, got email about interview today but I'm away from anywhere near home until the 14th.. keeping fingers crossed they'll have later interview dates but their speediness in giving me an interview is worrying :o:
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
So applied yesterday, got email about interview today but I'm away from anywhere near home until the 14th.. keeping fingers crossed they'll have later interview dates but their speediness in giving me an interview is worrying :o:

I applied for my job on the Monday evening, arranged the interview the next day, had the interview on the Friday and was supposed to start the induction the following Monday!
does anyone know if we get discount tickets for sainsburys super Saturday? :smile:
Reply 9411

Oh sorry for the am to am bit lol. Just let them know you cant do it, they obviously liked you if they gave you the job. In my store atm they are doing inductions and interviews every week, sometimes its just two people and other times I've seen 10 turn up. Also alot of people just cant start the job there and then if they have another job and have to give a few weeks notice or commitments like you have with college, if it was me and I was to start college or uni I'd try and get them to rearrange it. Phone the store if you can and talk to the trainer who will be doing your induction and explain to them and see what they say.

Yes i did this yesterday since i was too worried so i rang and guess what, it was the right option too. They told me inductions will be next week and they will give me a ring when they have the dates. Also, is it the store that updates induction date and times on the system which is when people ring HRSS and book an induction. So its basically HSRR as the middle guys. This is what i was told by HSRR that once the store updates with more dates and times on the system i will be able to book.

Hopefully all of it happens without a problem :smile:
Reply 9412
sainsburys say their jobs are temporary, but when i went to the interview they said all of the jobs are temporary for 12weeks, however if you pass meaning your doing well or something then they keep you on.

Meaning first 12weeks is like a test, if you pass then it becomes permanent, if you fail then you lose the job.

Is it true?
I'm not sure about that.
When I started, my contract was permenant from the off. Whereas some of the others taken on at the same time were given temporary contracts - of them, only one was kept on after the end of the contract and that was because he got 100% on a mystery shop.

I know the first twelve weeks are meant to be probation and they reserve the right to finish you etc during that time if you do something wrong. However, I didn't have any review during that time. I didn't have a review until I'd been working there nearly four months lol. :smile:
Reply 9414
Original post by affinity89

Original post by affinity89
I'm not sure about that.
When I started, my contract was permenant from the off. Whereas some of the others taken on at the same time were given temporary contracts - of them, only one was kept on after the end of the contract and that was because he got 100% on a mystery shop.

I know the first twelve weeks are meant to be probation and they reserve the right to finish you etc during that time if you do something wrong. However, I didn't have any review during that time. I didn't have a review until I'd been working there nearly four months lol. :smile:

What do you think my contract is? temporary? or permanent? they are hiring 12 people in total and theres to for every shift so could it be that after 12weeks they keep 1 person from the 2 for each shift?

The interviewer said to me "call it permanent, but a 12 week trial" as far as she knows. She they need more staff because they have got students leaving.
Reply 9415
Managed to sort my induction out with the sainsburys store just need to confirm it with HRSS as soon as system gets updated. Also my inductions approx 28hours, 12hours split into 3 days which i think is health & safety, then a 6 hour shift which will be training on a counter(or something similar) then a 10hour shift including a break and lunch in-between (anyone know how long the break and the lunch is and at what time if i start at 8am and finish 6pm).

Why is it 28hours in one week induction?

Also wonder what the last day of induction would be the 10hour shift?
Original post by hasm
Managed to sort my induction out with the sainsburys store just need to confirm it with HRSS as soon as system gets updated. Also my inductions approx 28hours, 12hours split into 3 days which i think is health & safety, then a 6 hour shift which will be training on a counter(or something similar) then a 10hour shift including a break and lunch in-between (anyone know how long the break and the lunch is and at what time if i start at 8am and finish 6pm).

It will be 1hr lunch but the time you will take it will depend on the needs of the store, it should be between 12 and 2 though. They will tell you when but they obviously can't have everyone on a department taking lunch at the same time.

I don't think it will be 28hrs all on induction, 2 days are normally health and safety and then after that you get trained on your department but they might move things around a bit if someone suitable to train you on your department is around one day but not another day. After that you start working your normal shifts.
Original post by hasm
What do you think my contract is? temporary? or permanent? they are hiring 12 people in total and theres to for every shift so could it be that after 12weeks they keep 1 person from the 2 for each shift?

The interviewer said to me "call it permanent, but a 12 week trial" as far as she knows. She they need more staff because they have got students leaving.

Your contract is permanent. Every one has 12 weeks probationary period but I don't know anyone who has been fired after that. You'd have to seriously mess up for them to not keep you on.

Temporary staff on the other hand have to really work hard to be kept on purely because Sainsbury's doesn't necessarily need them after their contracted period.
Reply 9418
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in Sainsbury's employing Army Reserves.

I'm looking into becoming a reserve and although the TA says Sainsbury's supports it, I just want to know if anyone knows the procedure.

I don't want to go to HR just yet, as I haven't fully made up my mind.
Reply 9419
Original post by hasm

Original post by flipshot
It will be 1hr lunch but the time you will take it will depend on the needs of the store, it should be between 12 and 2 though. They will tell you when but they obviously can't have everyone on a department taking lunch at the same time.

I don't think it will be 28hrs all on induction, 2 days are normally health and safety and then after that you get trained on your department but they might move things around a bit if someone suitable to train you on your department is around one day but not another day. After that you start working your normal shifts.

It 3 days, 4 hours per day since i wanted evening. so that would be health and safety.

Then a day later 5-11 evening, checkouts training, and then saturday 9-6, which might be me working on the checkouts or something with a supervisor however this is not my shift.

Also on the saturday 9-6 how many breaks do i have, how long is 1 break and roughly when will i have the breaks.

Also the friday where i will do 5-11 when will i have the break?

Latest

Trending

Trending