The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for a job at sainsburys using their online application, but am a bit worried about the referee boxes. I stopped education last year and haven't been in contact with any of my former teachers since then, who else could I get a reference from? I haven't had a job before either. help!!
Reply 9441
Original post by totally-wired
I'm applying for a job at sainsburys using their online application, but am a bit worried about the referee boxes. I stopped education last year and haven't been in contact with any of my former teachers since then, who else could I get a reference from? I haven't had a job before either. help!!

When I worked there they didn't even check my references.

You could just put your school address down and they'll probably just confirm you went there and say something positive.
Reply 9442
Mine didn't even ask for a reference until after my probationary period which I thought was a really weird thing to do. They're very disorganised (at the least)
Reply 9443
Original post by Lukely

Original post by Lukely
Mine didn't even ask for a reference until after my probationary period which I thought was a really weird thing to do. They're very disorganised (at the least)

When you applied, what did your job description say, permanent or temporary? If temporary did they tell you that its only temporary because your on probation and if you pass then you get permanent?
Reply 9444
How much do sainsburys pay for 16 nd 17 year olds.?
Reply 9445
Pay day in 2 days! :biggrin:
Interview tomorrow! Any tips guys? :biggrin:
Original post by hasm
How much do sainsburys pay for 16 nd 17 year olds.?

£4.89/h for your first six months, then it jumps to £6.54/h thereafter.
Reply 9448
when is your payday if your job is temporary or permanent?
Original post by hasm
when is your payday if your job is temporary or permanent?

I don't think it makes a difference if you're permanent or not but next payday is Friday :biggrin:. Next one after that is 5th October.
Reply 9450
I was a department manager for Sainburys on both day and night shift for 3 years, checkout, GM, dry goods and night shift.. Sainsburys are one of the worst companies to work for. They do not give a flying monkey!

In your interview, put forward that the customer is of paramount importance and you'll always follow instructions, but won't be afraid to mention if you think something can be done better. Say you don't mind staying longer as that's what you're expected to do most days (but really do kick up a fuss about it when they take the piss). You should have good communication skills and try and be as chatty as possible. They love a chatty Cathy!

Just be yourself. They are bum holes though. You get paid every 4 weeks. Good luck!
Reply 9451
Original post by Debbie2709
I don't think it makes a difference if you're permanent or not but next payday is Friday :biggrin:. Next one after that is 5th October.

So i start working at sainsburys next week, so i have to wait till 5th october for my pay?
Reply 9452
Original post by jamdear
I was a department manager for Sainburys on both day and night shift for 3 years, checkout, GM, dry goods and night shift.. Sainsburys are one of the worst companies to work for. They do not give a flying monkey!

In your interview, put forward that the customer is of paramount importance and you'll always follow instructions, but won't be afraid to mention if you think something can be done better. Say you don't mind staying longer as that's what you're expected to do most days (but really do kick up a fuss about it when they take the piss). You should have good communication skills and try and be as chatty as possible. They love a chatty Cathy!

Just be yourself. They are bum holes though. You get paid every 4 weeks. Good luck!

even though this ^^, sainsburys it doesnt matter i think for a first job it would be okay compared to other places that are even worser.
I handed in my resignation and everything 2 weeks ago but today i recieved a letter saying i have missed 3 shifts and have to attend a disciplinary meeting but have enrolment at college on the same day and time as the meeting will be at, i have effectively already quit working for sainsburys i would ring to tell them this but never recieved a number so that is out of the picture and i am not travelling 7 miles to the store to tell them i quit already so what would be the best thing to do, i dont want to use sainsburys as a reference in the future so just wondering whats the best way to go about this "disciplinary meeting"?
anyone else having issue with the Sainsbury's recruitment website?
Reply 9455
Original post by zigzak789
I handed in my resignation and everything 2 weeks ago but today i recieved a letter saying i have missed 3 shifts and have to attend a disciplinary meeting but have enrolment at college on the same day and time as the meeting will be at, i have effectively already quit working for sainsburys i would ring to tell them this but never recieved a number so that is out of the picture and i am not travelling 7 miles to the store to tell them i quit already so what would be the best thing to do, i dont want to use sainsburys as a reference in the future so just wondering whats the best way to go about this "disciplinary meeting"?

Send a letter back saying you've quit and you'll drop your uniform off at a later date.
Original post by greenfly125
anyone else having issue with the Sainsbury's recruitment website?

Yeah. There was 12 vacancies in my area (great!) and it took me over an hour of faffing about on it for the application to go through. I would answer all the questions and at the final hurdle, get an error page! I probably answered the assessment questions about 10 times in all... grr! It's not working at all now. I don't understand it either because on the new recruitment website it says 12 vacancies but only 5 on the old one (like when you click "apply" and have to login then re-search for the vacancy you want!

So annoying:angry:
Original post by FXX
Send a letter back saying you've quit and you'll drop your uniform off at a later date.

Ok i'll just do that, i got the letter today and they want me there at 9am tomorrow morning there is no way i can do that.
Im just afraid because i worked about 35 hours the past month and have a feeling that i wont get paid for the hours i've done because my manager was abit of an idiot :/
Reply 9458
Original post by zigzak789
Ok i'll just do that, i got the letter today and they want me there at 9am tomorrow morning there is no way i can do that.
Im just afraid because i worked about 35 hours the past month and have a feeling that i wont get paid for the hours i've done because my manager was abit of an idiot :/

Have you tried ringing them and ask them to rearrange a day where you could go to the disciplinary meeting. You can find your store number on the Sainsburys website. You could go on a weekend if that suits you?

You have to give 4 weeks notice if you quit. If you quit, and didn't work the notice period, then Sainsburys will not like that.

I would advise you to try and go to the disciplinary meeting on another day. As they still owe you money. If they don't owe you money and you don't need a reference, then that's fine, you don't need to go. You can just send them a letter.

If you don't go to the disciplinary meeting, then they might not pay you, they should, but you can't guarantee they will, even tho it isn't your fault you have to be at college the same day as the disciplinary meeting.

I been working for Sainsburys for 3.5 years, and I had loads of disciplinary meeting. I haven't even done anything wrong, the managers just feel like warning you for no reason.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jesska xD
Yeah. There was 12 vacancies in my area (great!) and it took me over an hour of faffing about on it for the application to go through. I would answer all the questions and at the final hurdle, get an error page! I probably answered the assessment questions about 10 times in all... grr! It's not working at all now. I don't understand it either because on the new recruitment website it says 12 vacancies but only 5 on the old one (like when you click "apply" and have to login then re-search for the vacancy you want!

So annoying:angry:

All the ones I was hoping to apply for when the site actually worked, have all gone!!
Absolute crap :angry:
Why bother advertising if they all go within like 10 minutes, and cock up the whole site.

Latest

Trending

Trending