The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mc^3
I might have got the wrong idea with student bank accounts, but unless you're with Natwest already (when the railcard makes it worth staying), isn't it best to go for the current account with the largest guaranteed interest-free overdraft (currently the Co-op), or possibly Lloyds (smaller overdraft, but free music and NUS extra card) and then stick anything you've got spare in an instant access savings account? Even if you don't intend to be overdrawn, you can put up to a couple of hundred pounds from your limit into the savings account and then move everything back when you get your college bill. That's what I'm probably doing... :colondollar:

Theoretically you can, although you'd be making about £300 over 3 years max if you move your whole overdraft limit and it won't do your credit rating any favours. Also the student account bank will always have a line in their terms and conditions which allows them to demand immediate repayment if they think you aren't using the account genuinely. If you are only planning to do a few hundred, an account like Santander's 5% is better than any instant access savings you'll get. (EDIT: Oops too late, they dropped the rate to 1% from last year for new accounts. :colondollar:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3081
It's very quiet in this thread...

Is everyone busy doing their preliminary reading or something?
Reply 3082
Original post by TomU

I bloody well hope not... because in that case, I am royally SCREWED.
Reply 3083
Original post by kpatb
I bloody well hope not... because in that case, I am royally SCREWED.

Lol, me too.

I don't understand why some colleges make it mandatory to do preliminary reading, some of them give a reading list and it's not that important and I've got absolutely no reading to do at all. Well, at least I hope I have no reading to do. I've got a meeting with my DoS on the 3rd October scheduled and that's all I know so far!

I would have thought that there would be at least some uniformity between the colleges...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3084
Original post by TomU
Lol, me too.
I don't understand why some colleges make it mandatory to do preliminary reading, some of them give a reading list and it's not that important and I've got absolutely no reading to do at all. Well, at least I hope I have no reading to do. I've got a meeting with my DoS on the 3rd October scheduled and that's all I know so far!
I would have thought that there would be at least some uniformity between the colleges...

Well I guess it depends on who your supervisors will be. Certain supervisors think different amounts of work are required before hand I guess.

In my case, I haven't done much, despite the college encouraging us to do some reading, particularly for some options.
The general consensus from current NatScis is to not read anything because it's not useful (obviously tis may be different for law)

So I'm not reading... instead, might do the maths workbook in the next couple of weeks before I get there :smile:

Also, I'm not reading because I KNow it will stress me out more - I Don't need that just yet xD So I'm not reading :tongue:

We've got meetings with DoS's and apparently that's one of the most useful academic things you can do, really :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chux
Hi guys, do any of you know if there's a website I can go to find out about freshers' week? I've had no information about it whatsoever, apart from that maltriculation is on the 4th...

All my fault :redface: I am still putting together your handbook, which will be put on CamTools on Monday probably. I could put the timetable on the JCR website if you like? It's not finalised or prettified yet though!
Reply 3086
I'm really looking forward to my freshers week - seems Hughes Hall MCR have put on some fun events:

- Pub Crawl
- Black & White Bop
- Punting
- Karaoke Shots
- Treasure Hunt (!)
- Historical Tour
- Swap with Murray Edwards
- Poker Night
- Ghost Tour
- 60's Music & Games
- Garden Party
- Dodgeball-Flag

Sounds fab to me! :awesome:
I am literally living in the most boring place in England. These days cannot go quickly enough.

Also, I'm only going to make a few more posts and then I'll leave this account forever on 666. :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TomU

Well, I was given a list (Philosophy at Sidney), but there are two things to it: I'd already read most of the 'classics' (on the list, they're like 5) for my interview and I can't get the other books in the country where I live. And anyway I'll be soon at Cambridge, so I guess it's fine. And don't worry, I don't really think even half the freshers are reading anything from the list.

I'm reading Foucault now, but it's continental philosophy, so apart from reading skills I don't think it'll help much. I think I'll also try and finish Plato's Meno before arriving at Cambridge and maybe JS Mill's On Liberty, but that sounds too ambitious... Haha, sorry for boring you with philosophy books! Which degree are you going to study?
Original post by no chance
I am literally living in the most boring place in England. These days cannot go quickly enough.

Also, I'm only going to make a few more posts and then I'll leave this account forever on 666. :ahee:

:nooo:

Why not just hide your post count and put "Home Posts:666" in the "Location" box on your profile so it wraps and looks like you're always on 666? :p:
Original post by Tortious
:nooo:

Why not just hide your post count and put "Home Posts:666" in the "Location" box on your profile so it wraps and looks like you're always on 666? :p:

And why don't I just print off my degree and not bother going to Cam at all, eh?
Reply 3091
Original post by HermesTrismegistus
Which degree are you going to study?

I'll be studying Law at Hughes Hall.
Reply 3092
Original post by SoapyDish
All my fault :redface: I am still putting together your handbook, which will be put on CamTools on Monday probably. I could put the timetable on the JCR website if you like? It's not finalised or prettified yet though!

Ohhh! No that's fine, take your time :smile: I was just a bit worried that I might have managed to miss all of the information somehow this summer because I've been travelling. As long as I know it's forthcoming I'm fine :smile:
Original post by chux
Ohhh! No that's fine, take your time :smile: I was just a bit worried that I might have managed to miss all of the information somehow this summer because I've been travelling. As long as I know it's forthcoming I'm fine :smile:

Have a look on CamTools - just for you :tongue:
Reply 3094
Have a look on CamTools - just for you :tongue:

You are amazing.
Original post by chux
You are amazing.

I hope you appreciate it - I stayed up til 2am finishing it, then got up at 6am to send it to the IT guy before I went to work! Got work tomorrow as well so I should probably go to sleep now...Two nights in a row of only 4 hours will kill me.
Reply 3096
I hope you appreciate it - I stayed up til 2am finishing it, then got up at 6am to send it to the IT guy before I went to work! Got work tomorrow as well so I should probably go to sleep now...Two nights in a row of only 4 hours will kill me.

Seriously, I appreciate it so so much and I'm sure other people will! It's perfect - it single-handedly answers all of my questions in just one document. Thank yooou!
How many people on here are arriving early? I've just asked permission to arrive on the 30th instead of the 1st.
Reply 3098
Original post by Hypocrism
How many people on here are arriving early? I've just asked permission to arrive on the 30th instead of the 1st.

I think you'll find quite a lot of people are there early - Mathmos, Classicists, some international students and any instrumental award auditioning people. Also some of the second years are there too i think :smile:
You won't be alone!

(Oh and I'm getting there on the 27th :smile: )
Reply 3099
Original post by Hypocrism

At Emma, the mathmos have an introductory day on the 30th, so I'm arriving on the 29th. I'd imagine quite a few international students will be arriving early too, as well as some of the current students (I think most college parents would probably want to arrive early, so that they don't have to arrive at the same time as the freshers, it's probably pretty hectic). There'll be loads of people!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending