The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9680
New store opening today. Was MANIC.
Well at least you guys got paid :frown: lol
Reply 9682
does it matter whether your contract says permanent or temporary?
does it follow the same rules(12 weeks probationary, if you pass you get kept on)?
Original post by hasm
does it matter whether your contract says permanent or temporary?
does it follow the same rules(12 weeks probationary, if you pass you get kept on)?

Temporary contracts normally have a finish date on them.
At my store, we had 100 temps when we opened/for Christmas but only one of those were offered a permanent contract when the temp one ended. It probably varies from store to store, but at my store, a temp contract really did mean you were only working there for a temporary amount of time. :redface:
Reply 9684
ALL contracts either say permanent, training or temporary.

Mine changed from "CTS training" to "CTS permanent" when I was signed off.
Reply 9685
my interview sed its called temporary because u have 12 week probationary period.
Reply 9686
Hi guys So this is my first job! I got threw the interview easy!

Now comes this evil sounding two day induction day I hate the acting game thing that some places do like u try and sell me this or you be an anger shopper and u be the shop worker I am no good at it I am working at sainsburys not Hollywood!! Do they ask u to do things like that? What would we be doing?

One member did tell me paper work but for two days 9-5 that's a lot of paper work!!!!!!

Thanks so much my induction is on Tuesday!!!
Reply 9687
Original post by Danny299
Hi guys So this is my first job! I got threw the interview easy!

Now comes this evil sounding two day induction day I hate the acting game thing that some places do like u try and sell me this or you be an anger shopper and u be the shop worker I am no good at it I am working at sainsburys not Hollywood!! Do they ask u to do things like that? What would we be doing?

One member did tell me paper work but for two days 9-5 that's a lot of paper work!!!!!!

Thanks so much my induction is on Tuesday!!!

Its nothing like that - hardly any - if any at all - roleplay. Just loads of talk from the trainer and forms and tests to fill in.
Reply 9688
Tests? Like what? Are they easy obvious answer tests?
Also what do I ware? Do I just bring Bankstatment Nat number ID (driving licence passport) anything else?
(my first job don't want to mess it up)
Do codecheckers get paid more than general assistants?
Can i get fired for this?

I applied for a weekend warehouse job at Sainsburys and got it. 3 weeks in and the HR manager calls me in and tells me that they hired me because they thought their current warehouse guy was leaving, but apparently he's not anymore so i can't do that job. She offered me a different position (freshfoods), with different hours, sunday/tue/thur. I told her i couldn't do the weekdays as I have University classes all week. She then said she will try and sort something out. Is there any possibility of them firing/letting me go because they don't actually need me? I hope not... I really need this job. AND the current warehouse guy, whos been training me told me he's going to be away for like 3 weeks in November for his apprenticeship. Surely it's good to have atleast 2 Warehouse guys, incase one needs to take a long holiday...
Reply 9691
Original post by Slapstick
Can i get fired for this?

I applied for a weekend warehouse job at Sainsburys and got it. 3 weeks in and the HR manager calls me in and tells me that they hired me because they thought their current warehouse guy was leaving, but apparently he's not anymore so i can't do that job. She offered me a different position (freshfoods), with different hours, sunday/tue/thur. I told her i couldn't do the weekdays as I have University classes all week. She then said she will try and sort something out. Is there any possibility of them firing/letting me go because they don't actually need me? I hope not... I really need this job. AND the current warehouse guy, whos been training me told me he's going to be away for like 3 weeks in November for his apprenticeship. Surely it's good to have atleast 2 Warehouse guys, incase one needs to take a long holiday...

No, they'll keep you on, but they'll probably get you to work in other departments as and where you're needed if the warehouse is covered.

EDIT: just realised you've only been there for 3 weeks. When you're on the probationary period they can let you go at any time without notice iirc, so honestly I'm not really sure. Someone else here should know.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hai! I've got an Induction week at Sainsburys tonight! from 6pm-10pm

Tuesday 6pm-10pm

Saturday 8am-5pm

I'm only 17 But I was just wondering what to expect I would love to be mentally prepared for what is going to come really? Would I have to do Roleplay or shizz? And will I have other people in the room with me?

Thankaaa
Maria (:
Got an interview next Friday for counter assistant, different store to the one I worked in before. Bit of a pain to get to, but at least I know what the interview process is like :smile:
Original post by MariaLloydyz!
Hai! I've got an Induction week at Sainsburys tonight! from 6pm-10pm

Tuesday 6pm-10pm

Saturday 8am-5pm

I'm only 17 But I was just wondering what to expect I would love to be mentally prepared for what is going to come really? Would I have to do Roleplay or shizz? And will I have other people in the room with me?

Thankaaa
Maria (:

It's s group induction, mainly filling in forms and watching DVD's, we also had a tour round the warehouse/shop floor. It's absolutely fine, nothing to worry about :smile:
Thankyouu! (: I had it and I have to go back tonight! It was pretty awesome the thing I'm ****ting bricks is the test at the end where you have to get 100% D:

eepp.

Maria :smile:
Reply 9696
The trainers tell you the answers so dont worry about it :smile:
Oh ahaha thankyouu:3
Reply 9698
Got an interview for next Wednesday, and have read through what to expect DVD test, some math questions, 1x1 etc...

However (and I'm probably going to sound a right idiot for saying) what does a General Assistant actually do?? Are they simply shop floor that do stock replenishment or do they occasionally do other jobs like checkouts?

If it helps I have grocery tagged as my possible department. :dontknow:
Reply 9699
Hey guys, I have a question.

Do people have time to eat and drink during a 15 minutes break during a 5 hour shift?

If I have a break at 9pm, I look to see what I want to eat and drink at, get to the clock in machine at around 9.07pm. I then go to get money from the locker in the canteen, and take 15 minutes, so return to work at 9.22pm.

However, I been told that the 15 minutes break include looking for food that you want to eat and drink. So, if I decide to go for my 15 minutes break at 9pm, I get to the clock in machine at 9.02pm, get money from the locker up stair, come back down stair, takes 3 minutes, look for food and drink, takes 5 minutes, queue and pay at self checkout, takes 5 minutes, go back up stair to the canteen, takes 3 minutes.

This takes 15 minutes, so how can I eat and drink?

I would have to eat or drink nothing for 5 hours, because there isn't enough time to eat and drink. Unless I get chocolate from the vending machine, and drink water.

I would have to take food and drink to work, leave in the fridge before my shift, and microwave it.

Latest

Trending

Trending