The Student Room Group

Quick Fish Oil Question

Hey :hi:

A lot of people on here will recognise and know me, but basically I'm a first year medical student at Barts and the London and also one of the mods for universities and higher education colleges.

If you could answer these questions honestly then I'd appreciate it, we'll be choosing the most appropriate to go onto a poster for our project so would appreciate replies :yep:

Two questions:

What do you think/know about fish oils and their impact on your health?

Did you have fish oils as a child/growing up?

That's all! Very short, very quick. Just need some data :smile:

Thanks to all those who answer :top:

a moist feeling
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They are supposed to be healthy, everyone should have omega 3 :yep:

Only when I was eating fish...
Reply 2

To be honest, I don't know anything. All I know is that one day, adverts and people started, practically out of the blue, raving about "omega 3" and that it is supposedly good for you... I don't even know what omega 3 is or why it is good for you :tongue:

Not really, I hate fish :yucky:
Reply 3
- I had a diagnosis with a GP, relating to depression, my dad went and did a bit of research, and bought some Extra High Strength cod liver oil. Talking to a pharmacist, he found out that the EPA and DHA components of Omega 3 can have a positive effect on the brain, to help counter the symptoms of depression; you also get a much greater concentration in liquid, than capsules. Cod liver oil, and fish oils, can have a healthy impact on hair, skin and nails.

After taking it daily for a few weeks, I found that my nails, especially toenails, were growing much healthier, there was a distinct line and difference between the old and new growth. This is not even mentioning the primary use of fish oils, which is for maintaining healthy joints, especially useful when lifting weights, and becoming more important in later (elderly) life.

I think fish oils are a great superfood to supplement anyone's daily diet. The taste was rank at first, but I managed to man up and get used to it.

- The odd capsule here and there, but unfortunately no.
Reply 4
Ive heard they are healthy and a good source of omega 3 and 6 also good for growing long hair and nails well that's what my mum always told me.

umm yh I did we had cod liver oil from time to time and i still take the cod liver oil tablets when my nails break to strengthen them :P
Reply 5
They are really healthy
they are part of a balanced diet
have omega-3 (and 6 i think)

not direct fish oil liquid
but i had oily fish
and still do once a week (forced upon by my dad but i dont mind!)
1) That fish oils are good for you, contains omega 3 and 6 which can be good for the brain

2) Never had any fish oils

Good luck with your SSC!
Reply 7
i don't really know much, but i do know that some research showed it could be beneficial to brain activity but think that its silly to believe things like that because theres probably a load of other research that shows it has no effect. plus, i know that omegas are obtained naturally through our diet, so supplements are basically giving you expensive, nutritious wee.

i didn't take them as a child, but then again i do eat a lot of fish in my diet anyway :coma: and i didnt take any supplements apart from the odd chewable vitamin so it didn't cross my mind to take fish oils.

hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 8
Post this in Fitness and I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses.
1. Something about omega somethings that are good for you and usually found in fish, which would make sense if they're in fish oil also. I think they sound like something that holland barrett make a lot of money from, but not necessarily something useful to your health. Though I do recall something from GI clinic where lots of patients came in enquiring about whether they should take it or not, and they were told it wasn't going to do them any harm, but it sure wasn't going to cure them.

2. No. Mainly cos I was vegetarian for most of my growing up years.
Reply 10
1. they contain omega oils which supposedly boost 'brain power' (no idea how!)

2. No (vegertarian)
Reply 11
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

A lot of people on here will recognise and know me, but basically I'm a first year medical student at Barts and the London and also one of the mods for universities and higher education colleges.

If you could answer these questions honestly then I'd appreciate it, we'll be choosing the most appropriate to go onto a poster for our project so would appreciate replies :yep:

Two questions:

Reduces cholesterol level, helps burn fat, reduces soreness from training (weights),reduces inflammation, it's omega 3 fatty acids, it is recommended to have about a teaspoon a day, extracted from oily fish, good for the heart (reduces arterial pressure), because it contains healthy fats it helps maintain testosterone levels.

Well I ate a lot of oily fish whilst growing up according to my mum, but now I use fish oil capsules, if I don't have enough oily fish in my diet.

I think they've got omega 3 in them, and that they're good for lowering cholesterol and the consequences of that like lowering blood pressure etc, I think? And that they're good for lubricating joints, something to do with the synovial fluid, maybe I'm talking *******s. Oh yeah, and effects on the brain, forgot about that.

Nope, but I've had some recently, after gym etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
1) Really healthy for you, good for brain development in young children / foetuses (I think :s-smilie:)

2) None - I'm a vegetarian; could have got capsules but didn't really bother with it :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Never really thought about it to be honest. However, its high Omega 3 concentration, I would say that it has a positive impact on our health as it is known to be able to reduce cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation. Additionally, I read something about it having a slight chance of increasing the risk of bleeding in high doses.

Yes. But as oily fish / extra ingredients in soup.

Cod liver oil? euuuuuuugh :s-smilie:
Reply 16

Flora say they are good for your heart.

Presumably they come from fish, so yeah.
Reply 17

Two questions:

I have been given fish oil since I was 7 as my mum thinks it's good for my eczema and helps brain development.She also told me that vitamin D was good for bones. I'd probably agree with her but some of the oils taste disgusting!
H
They're healthy and particularly good for your brain.

Yes, but infrequently (mother was a bit of a health fad person)
Sorry for the bump, but needs to be done for this...

a moist feeling
x

Quoted for attention

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending