Original post by transcendental
on their websites,
b'ham 954/75 places
sheffield 950-1050 apps/75 places
kings 1200 apps/180 offers
leeds 1600 apps/ 85 places
cardiff 700 apps/76 places
manchester 966 apps/75 places

if you add all the applicants who have applied and divide by 4, as each applicant i suppose applies to 4 university's =1592 and there are a total of 566 places. so therefore each applicant on average has 35.5% chance of getting a place.
however this is not always the case i imagine has some applicants may have more than one offer.

have i done my calculation correct, if not can someone please correct me, and how does this figure make everyone feel.
Reply 884
Original post by undertaker1
if you add all the applicants who have applied and divide by 4, as each applicant i suppose applies to 4 university's =1592 and there are a total of 566 places. so therefore each applicant on average has 35.5% chance of getting a place.
however this is not always the case i imagine has some applicants may have more than one offer.

have i done my calculation correct, if not can someone please correct me, and how does this figure make everyone feel.

looks about right but to account for discrepancies eg not all people will apply to 4 dental unis id say around 30% but other wise it looks right. i kinda feel better about this as on the open days all unis were like its 1/15 chance you will get a place in our uni.
Original post by hamhead94
looks about right but to account for discrepancies eg not all people will apply to 4 dental unis id say around 30% but other wise it looks right. i kinda feel better about this as on the open days all unis were like its 1/15 chance you will get a place in our uni.

i agree. however we must look at number of offers available and not places available because all i need is an offer and not a seat. so i assume most dental schools offer more than 100 offers so the number 35% is roughly correct.

oh well no point calculating now as i have sent my application off lol.
Has anybody else had any acknowledgement emails apart from sheffield?
Reply 887
Original post by undertaker1
i agree. however we must look at number of offers available and not places available because all i need is an offer and not a seat. so i assume most dental schools offer more than 100 offers so the number 35% is roughly correct.

oh well no point calculating now as i have sent my application off lol.

oh yeah suppose your right , also yes i have recieved acknowledgement from queen mary but i am awaiting reply from leeds and newcastle
Hi fellow applicants, :biggrin:

I'm a student from Vienna, Austria and one of the unis I want to apply for is UGlasgow. for some reason, I've just realized that I missed the piece of information about the required work shadowing experience. :O Will my application be rejected right away?

The thing is, I did search for work experience but it seems that healthcare institutions here in Vienna don't accept ppl who have not had studied the relevant field at university and who only want to "shadow for two weeks"/who don't intend to make an internship, full-time, for half a year/who don't have good connections.
And it's not like I was rejected and therefore I made this assumption, I also heard that from many people and there is even a summer internship application redirecting service provided by the government where you can submit your application and indicate your field of interest and this service will send your application to all relevant institutions, but this service is NOT provided for those who wish to work in dental practices or hospitals in the summer like I did... uggh..

But I made my decision to become an orthodontist because I'm having orthodontic treatment for 4 years now and got to experience my orthodontist's and his assistant's work as a patient. And I researched about different fields of dentistry on the internet since I was 13... and I included that in my personal statement as well.
but, can this compensate for the "lack of work experience"? will they, like, have a look at the "employment" field in my application, see nothing, and reject me right away? :s-smilie:

I'm sorry that was a real long question but I would be really really REALLY grateful if anyone could give me instant advice! ugghh... tomorrow is deadline xD
Original post by dieu2phoenix
Hi fellow applicants, :biggrin:

I'm a student from Vienna, Austria and one of the unis I want to apply for is UGlasgow. for some reason, I've just realized that I missed the piece of information about the required work shadowing experience. :O Will my application be rejected right away?

The thing is, I did search for work experience but it seems that healthcare institutions here in Vienna don't accept ppl who have not had studied the relevant field at university and who only want to "shadow for two weeks"/who don't intend to make an internship, full-time, for half a year/who don't have good connections.
And it's not like I was rejected and therefore I made this assumption, I also heard that from many people and there is even a summer internship application redirecting service provided by the government where you can submit your application and indicate your field of interest and this service will send your application to all relevant institutions, but this service is NOT provided for those who wish to work in dental practices or hospitals in the summer like I did... uggh..

But I made my decision to become an orthodontist because I'm having orthodontic treatment for 4 years now and got to experience my orthodontist's and his assistant's work as a patient. And I researched about different fields of dentistry on the internet since I was 13... and I included that in my personal statement as well.
but, can this compensate for the "lack of work experience"? will they, like, have a look at the "employment" field in my application, see nothing, and reject me right away? :s-smilie:

I'm sorry that was a real long question but I would be really really REALLY grateful if anyone could give me instant advice! ugghh... tomorrow is deadline xD

so what work experience have you got
I think it's still worth applying. Recently dental contracts changed in the UK and new rules about patient confidentiality came in, meaning that more of UK students might not have been able to get work experience. Also, on some university websites they say that they accept that some people may not be able to find work experience, but should include in their personal statement that they made an effort, and reasons they couldn't find it. I don't think they'll rule you out right away!
Original post by transcendental
Has anybody else had any acknowledgement emails apart from sheffield?

I've had them from Cardiff and Barts plus myapplication details from kings
Original post by Patchey1000
I've had them from Cardiff and Barts plus myapplication details from kings

I've not had anything from kings at all ahhhh
Reply 893
have barts changed their ukcat system this year?
Reply 894
i got an acknowledgement from kings today
Thanks so much transcendental! i guess ill have to include my circumstances somewhere.

undertaker1, I don't have any work experience. in Vienna (i say vienna cuz i don't know whether this applies to the rest of Austria as well) adolescents usually work in the summer for the money and not because of their true interest for the job (of course there are exceptions). many employers accept students who want to do a summer internship so they can say that they're furthering the young generation's education and qualifications and that they're contributing to the development of blabla... all PR stuff. most of my friends ended up just sitting in some office watching gossip girl or killing time on facebook because they didnt get any assignments and weren't allowed to shadow much because the other employers were "busy"... or they had to make photocopies and their day was done. since i didnt get a place at a dental practice or hospital, i preferred spending my summer with my family...

but i understand that other work experience other than shadowing dentists is only relevant if it has sth to do with communication. right? if so, i used to be class president, advertise in primary schools for my secondary school and ive also given guided tours to prospective students and their parents on open days... so yeah.. communication...
Hi everyone :smile: Just wanted to say good luck! I know how stressful it is but stay positive, pm me with any questions and I will try to reply even though I'm not very good at it atm :tongue:
Reply 897
Gcse: A*a*a*a*,aaaaa,bb,c
predicted:a*aa (biology,chemistry,religious studies)
ukcat: 635
applied: Birmingham, cardiff, dundee, liverpool

did my 4th a level early - panjabi - a*
Original post by HGS*
Gcse: A*a*a*a*,aaaaa,bb,c
predicted:a*aa (biology,chemistry,religious studies)
ukcat: 635
applied: Birmingham, cardiff, dundee, liverpool

did my 4th a level early - panjabi - a*

smashed it bro!!!.

do you know how cardiff use the ukcat score i.e. do they have a cut off score, if not...

do you know how they shortlist there candidates
6 hours and 19 minutes to go

Quick Reply

Latest