The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What about Birmingham V Manchester? All my friends keep telling me to apply Manchester, saying it's better than Birmingham, but I had thought they were both on the same level? :l
Original post by derangedyoshi
Why Computer Science at Imperial, won't you just get rejected if you have a Maths PS?

CS at imperial, simply because I will get rejected if I apply for imperial maths...

And my PS isn't one sided, I spoke about how I want to go into game development/game programming and spoke about the enormous amount of mathematics involved in the field/ my favorite topic in maths.

A CS admin would think "oh, ok, he's a gamer", but a maths admin would think "oh, not your typical aspiring accountant/banker". With a mathematics degree you can certainly go into game programming so it will be accepted.

even on wikipedia it says "However, most job solicitations for game programmers specify a bachelor's degree (in mathematics, physics, computer science, or equivalent experience".
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Argh, I can't decide between Lancaster/St Andrews/ Bath/ Birmingham. Two spots! :'( So confused.

I would certainly go for bath and st ands
Original post by House Dagoth
CS at imperial, simply because I will get rejected if I apply for maths...

And my PS isn't one sided, I spoke about how I want to go into game development/game programming and spoke about the enormous amount of mathematics involved in the field/ my favorite topic in maths.

A CS admin would think "oh, ok, he's a gamer", but a maths admin would think "oh, not your typical aspiring accountant/banker". With a mathematics degree you can certainly go into game programming so it will be accepted.

even on wikipedia it says "However, most job solicitations for game programmers specify a bachelor's degree (in mathematics, physics, computer science, or equivalent experience".

Fair enough. Just seemed a bit odd but you've obviously thought about it and researched it and so on... :thumbsup:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Bath is really nice and isn't Scottish, so you don't get discriminated against if you're English :smile:

What, what, what ?, I hope this was a joke :eek:
Original post by S119234
What, what, what ?, I hope this was a joke :eek:

Haha, it was joke-ish but serious in terms of fees. I deliberately avoided all Scottish unis because they don't charge fees to anyone in Europe - except people from England, like me.

Sorry, but I refuse to fund a system that discriminates against me. I'd much rather go somewhere where I'm charged the same fees as everyone else. :smile:

Haha, it was joke-ish but serious in terms of fees. I deliberately avoided all Scottish unis because they don't charge fees to anyone in Europe - except people from England, like me.

Sorry, but I refuse to fund a system that discriminates against me. I'd much rather go somewhere where I'm charged the same fees as everyone else. :smile:

Phew :biggrin:, I thought you ment in terms of people being discriminated against on the streets etc. As a person with a strong English accent living in Scotland I can say I get no trouble what-so-ever.

But luckily you didn't mean that, my apologies haha :smile:

+ repped
You forgot to mention that that system which discriminates against the English is also (partially) funded by the English:angry:

I think for this reason I will apply to Bath and Birmingham, I emailed Lancaster and they seemed abit to eager. Also I don't trust their rep :redface:
Original post by Edwin Okli
You're an Emma Maths applicant! :biggrin: There are too many of us… but it's all right. Best of luck.

What's Emma maths?
Original post by BeccaCath94

What's Emma maths?

Maths at Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
Argh, I can't decide between Lancaster/St Andrews/ Bath/ Birmingham. Two spots! :'( So confused.

I'd go for Lancaster! A great top 10 uni campus based with surprising enterance requirements...AAB....
Original post by jameswhughes
Maths at Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

Ahh thanks...not me then :P

I totally agree with you about the fees. I went to heriot watt open day on Saturday and being from yorkshire was definately in a minority. We went to the fees presentation to find they would spend 20 mins talking about Scottish fees then 5-10 mins about rest of UK (ie England) this is totally biased and unfair.

Luckily its my fifth choice back up...too much of a trek...but still a nice course etc :smile:

I totally agree with you about the fees. I went to heriot watt open day on Saturday and being from yorkshire was definately in a minority. We went to the fees presentation to find they would spend 20 mins talking about Scottish fees then 5-10 mins about rest of UK (ie England) this is totally biased and unfair.

Luckily its my fifth choice back up...too much of a trek...but still a nice course etc :smile:

You're from Yorkshire? :five:
I'd go for Lancaster! A great top 10 uni campus based with surprising enterance requirements...AAB....

Dammit you're confusing me now! :P Are they really that good, Lancaster Vs Birmingham now. Which should I have as a back up?!
Dammit you're confusing me now! :P Are they really that good, Lancaster Vs Birmingham now. Which should I have as a back up?!

dont snake BRUM! :colone:

Sorry - accidental neg rep. My bad.

But seriously, first of all check out the courses.Lancaster has much more of an emphasis on pure maths, which is quite different at uni, compared to at school. Birmingham has a more typical mix. It depends which you'd prefer. Oh and entry requirements.

Then I'd think about the cities themselves; do you want to be in a very large city right in the centre or in a smaller one on the outskirts. Also think about journey times and costs for you etc.

I personally chose Lancaster, because I don't think I'd be able to stand the giant city
culture.

:smile:
Original post by ben-smith
+ repped
You forgot to mention that that system which discriminates against the English is also (partially) funded by the English:angry:

Not true. The Scottish government, like Wales and NI, receives a certain amount of money from the UK parliament to cover devolved issues (similar to the amount of money spent in England on these issues): agriculture, economic development, education, environment, police and fire services, local government, sport and the arts, transport, etc. Scotland chooses to spend some of its money on providing free tertiary education, at the expense of other issues (such as, say, hospitals). Different priorities. You can't blame the Scottish government for not making up for England's neglect. English people are outside their jurisdiction, and anyway, if Scottish universities charged no fees to the English they'd be overwhelmed with applications. It's an unfair system, but blame Westminster for your fees, not Holyrood.

I want my Warwick offer now!
Reply 2139
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Not true. The Scottish government, like Wales and NI, receives a certain amount of money from the UK parliament to cover devolved issues (similar to the amount of money spent in England on these issues): agriculture, economic development, education, environment, police and fire services, local government, sport and the arts, transport, etc. Scotland chooses to spend some of its money on providing free tertiary education, at the expense of other issues (such as, say, hospitals). Different priorities. You can't blame the Scottish government for not making up for England's neglect. English people are outside their jurisdiction, and anyway, if Scottish universities charged no fees to the English they'd be overwhelmed with applications. It's an unfair system, but blame Westminster for your fees, not Holyrood.

I want my Warwick offer now!

Where is Scotland worse off than England though?

Latest