The Student Room Group
Reply 9960
Can't wait for Christmas, like last year LOADS of overtime before & after and all the money :smile:

Just hope I'm not ill this year after Christmas :/ still got paid for the overtime I was suppose to do though lol

What I found funny was on the last day I called in the DM was like "you don't sound ill". The next day I was in she saw me & said "you look ill". Like WTF, am I ill or not women!
Does anyone know how to book overtime?

I was told by my Night Shift Leader and other colleagues to just ring the store (HR Dep) and tell them to book you in. I did that an hour ago and the lady on the phone told me i can't do that and that I need to talk to my Team Leader and book it according to schedule. Why was I told otherwise? Also, I work a 9pm-7am shift....am i allowed to book the same amount of hours for overtime? :confused:
Reply 9962
Original post by JohnnyGat.
Does anyone know how to book overtime?

I was told by my Night Shift Leader and other colleagues to just ring the store (HR Dep) and tell them to book you in. I did that an hour ago and the lady on the phone told me i can't do that and that I need to talk to my Team Leader and book it according to schedule. Why was I told otherwise? Also, I work a 9pm-7am shift....am i allowed to book the same amount of hours for overtime? :confused:

no idea why the shift leader told you that? at the checkouts we have a folder with all the available overtime in & you just put your name down next to the shift you want to work.
Does anyone know the process for getting someone to cover your shift? I'm gonna have to miss a shift due to unforeseen circumstances, and i'm within my 12 weeks probation. I don't want to call in sick as i have work the next day which i can definitely go to.

If i ask a colleague (someone my age and who i get along well with) to cover my shift, what will happen with pay? I know i'll have to cover their shift (at least i think so), but surely i won't get paid if i don't clock in? Anyone help me? :smile:
Original post by Tom_Andrews
Does anyone know the process for getting someone to cover your shift? I'm gonna have to miss a shift due to unforeseen circumstances, and i'm within my 12 weeks probation. I don't want to call in sick as i have work the next day which i can definitely go to.

If i ask a colleague (someone my age and who i get along well with) to cover my shift, what will happen with pay? I know i'll have to cover their shift (at least i think so), but surely i won't get paid if i don't clock in? Anyone help me? :smile:

If you do one of their shifts and they do one of yours, it's fine. You'll both get paid the same amount as you would have done if you hadn't swapped the shifts (provided the shifts you swap are the same length). :smile:
Reply 9965
Original post by Tom_Andrews

If it genuinly is unforeseen cirumstances - such as a death or someone close to you is very ill - sainsbury's will give you the time off.
Reply 9966
I received the sharesave booklet on Monday and was thinking of joining. I was thinking of investing £20/month for 3 years. If shares are £3.04 on March 2015, I would make a profit of around £200. I can only make money if share prices goes up, as there is no interest or bonus for investing.

If I invest £20/month in a ISA account, the highest rate I could get is 2.8%, I would make a profit of around £32 on March 2015.

Sounds good to invest in sharesave, but I am worry that I would get fired or decide to quit the job and that I won't be able to get my money back. I should, as the booklet says, even if you leave, you get the amount you invested. I don't mind losing out on the £32, as it isn't a lot of money.

If the sharesave was one year long, I would definitely apply, but three years is a long time.

Should I invest or not? Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9967
Is it easy or hard to become permanent at sainsburys?
Original post by hasm
Is it easy or hard to become permanent at sainsburys?

depends on their needs, really.
Reply 9969
Original post by GuyUK
I received the sharesave booklet on Monday and was thinking of joining. I was thinking of investing £20/month for 3 years. If shares are £3.04 on March 2015, I would make a profit of around £200. I can only make money if share prices goes up, as there is no interest or bonus for investing.

If I invest £20/month in a ISA account, the highest rate I could get is 2.8%, I would make a profit of around £32 on March 2015.

Sounds good to invest in sharesave, but I am worry that I would get fired or decide to quit the job and that I won't be able to get my money back. I should, as the booklet says, even if you leave, you get the amount you invested. I don't mind losing out on the £32, as it isn't a lot of money.

If the sharesave was one year long, I would definitely apply, but three years is a long time.

Should I invest or not? Thanks

Personally, I think it is well worth it. I joined last year, wish I started it the year before really. I never had the intention of still being at Sainsbury's when I started in November 2008 but since I'm still there and thought I may as well go for it. There is nothing to lose in my opinion apart from anything you would have gained from the isa which isn't much at the current rates.
I would earn £377 in an isa on a 2.8% rate in 3 years.
If the share price is £3.04 on March 2014 i get £212 profit (my option price is £2.97).
If the share price is less than £2.97 i'll just take the cash.

I see for joining this year, the option price is £2.38. may even consider joining that too.

I don't think there is a problem getting my money back if I leave, you get and online account that you can manage your sharesave or sspp where it allows you to close your accounts.
Does anyone know when we get paid and when the next payday is? I know it's every 4 weeks but I'm a little confused:s-smilie:

I did my 2 day induction on the 1st (Tuesday) & 2nd (Wednesday) November and immediately did overtime on the 4th (Friday) & 5th (Saturday) and now am working normal contracted hours (Thursdays & Fridays).
Next payday is on December 2nd. Four weeks after the last payday, which was November 4th. :smile:
Reply 9972
Original post by mug51
Personally, I think it is well worth it. I joined last year, wish I started it the year before really. I never had the intention of still being at Sainsbury's when I started in November 2008 but since I'm still there and thought I may as well go for it. There is nothing to lose in my opinion apart from anything you would have gained from the isa which isn't much at the current rates.
I would earn £377 in an isa on a 2.8% rate in 3 years.
If the share price is £3.04 on March 2014 i get £212 profit (my option price is £2.97).
If the share price is less than £2.97 i'll just take the cash.

I see for joining this year, the option price is £2.38. may even consider joining that too.

I don't think there is a problem getting my money back if I leave, you get and online account that you can manage your sharesave or sspp where it allows you to close your accounts.

£2.97 is quite high for an option price. I think it's a big risk investing at that price, considering share price are only £3.04 at the moment.

You can hold your shares for 6 months after March 2014, so you could earn a lot more then £212.

If you decide to leave Sainsburys, can you can your money back by closing your online account?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Liam6993
Next payday is on December 2nd. Four weeks after the last payday, which was November 4th. :smile:

Thanks.

So payday after December 2nd would be December 30th or is it January 2nd which is a Monday......but then I thought it was every Friday?:s-smilie:

Damn im thick:rolleyes:
Thanks.

So payday after December 2nd would be December 30th or is it January 2nd which is a Monday......but then I thought it was every Friday?:s-smilie:

Its December 30th. The best way to think of it is every fourth Friday.
Thanks.

Yeah, what Debbie2709 said. The one after that will be December 30th. :smile:
Reply 9976
Original post by GuyUK
£2.97 is quite high for an option price. I think it's a big risk investing at that price, considering share price are only £3.04 at the moment.

You can hold your shares for 6 months after March 2014, so you could earn a lot more then £212.

If you decide to leave Sainsburys, can you can your money back by closing your online account?

yeah, £2.97 is quite high considering todays price, but the time I took it out the share price was around £3.80.

Yep you can close the sharesave account anytime online, but if you leave the brochure it seems to indicate that they will send you a letter and it would be closed automatically.
Original post by Debbie2709
Congrats! What department did you apply for?

I applied as a General Assistant and was given the Health and Beauty department but my department manager wants to swap me to Frozen which is coming up soon. Thanks

I originally applied for Sunday, Monday, Friday. I asked at interview if I could change the Friday to another day(I was in uni) but they said no, they were the hours I'd have to work. Because I thought I'd only have the job for a few weeks, I said that was fine, I'd work something out. On my first day though, the manager came up to me and was all like 'I heard you want to change your hours, what day can you do instead?' so I ended up doing Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. :biggrin:
Pretty sure something similar happened to another girl who started at the same time as me as well. You won't be able to do under the 12 hours, as people have said, but maybe try asking them if you can change your hours anyway. They might have another candidate in the same position, and you can just do a swap. A lot of it will depend on your store though, mine has always been pretty good with changing my hours...
[QUOTE="Debbie2709;34879063"]Congrats! What department did you apply for?

I applied as a General Assistant and was given the Health and Beauty department but my department manager wants to swap me to Frozen which is coming up soon. Thanks
I work as a online shopper and I'm now down to work 3 nights coming up to christmas, just wondering if anyone knows if I will get the night shift premium pay or will i just get my normal pay for these 3 nights?
Reply 9979
Original post by stargirl92
I work as a online shopper and I'm now down to work 3 nights coming up to christmas, just wondering if anyone knows if I will get the night shift premium pay or will i just get my normal pay for these 3 nights?

You get the night shift premium for the hours you work before 6am. My manager hasn't spoken to me about xmas yet, I've heard she wants me to do twice my normal hours - this will be my fourth xmas in online and don't particularly want to spend too many hours there, it's absolute hell.

Latest

Trending

Trending