The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bella_trixxx
I love this thread! :biggrin:
When my mum told me that Captain Kirk was going to be killed off in Star Trek, I was genuinely sad and impressed, because I thought that meant they were going to actually kill the actor and he was so dedicated to the show he was prepared to die for it! Strange mind...

When I was little I thought Titanic was a documentary and wondered how the camera crew managed to film the ship sinking :facepalm2:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I remember the first time I read that :rofl: :rofl:

Enjoy the website:
http://www.kissthisguy.com/
Reply 442
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Enjoy the website:

Me and my friends used to constantly be on that website in our ICT lessons in year 8/9, ah, memories :lol:
Original post by philistine
When people say 'pressurised' instead of 'pressured'. Although pressurised may be acceptable vernacular (not too sure, though considering its wide usage...), it is indeed incorrect in the strictest sense.

Exempli gratia (that's e.g, aye!):

My family have been pressurising me into studying classics at university.

No.

omgggggggggg

We should totally get married

WHY DOES NO ONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE??!!

Air is pressurised. People are pressured. People are also stupid beyond belief.

It shouldn't pass into acceptable vernacular. Why does language evolve to accommodate uneducated people?!

As Oscar Wilde said, the public need to become more cultured, culture should not dumb down for the public :rolleyes: (OK I'm paraphrasing but still)
(edited 12 years ago)
Enjoy the website:

I love you.

God knows what time I'll get to bed at. I LOVE misheard lyrics :rofl2:
Generally and Genuinely.

"I generally didn't know that Delilah was your middle name!!!1!!dhdbcfhj"

**** off.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

I love you.

God knows what time I'll get to bed at. I LOVE misheard lyrics :rofl2:

:colondollar: I'm awaiting the end of an auction on ebay. We all have our sleep avoidance tactics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Noirla
lol nope its not in Birmingham. The one I'm on about has been converted to something a bit less seedy I think!

How on earth would you know where the last one in the whole of the UK would be? And I should hope they ALL have blacked out windows!

There are only ten- four in London, four in the midlands, one in Huddersfield and one in Brighton. Taboo, Amsterdam, Adultworld, Foxy Lady, Fantasy Video, Oscars, Abcat, Soho Cinema, Empire X, forgot the Brighton name.

None of them can be seen into but some have blinds, or just a plain door. And only four of the ten have a shop.

One was converted to a vodka bar on Oxford Road Manchester a few years ago, used to be called VIP.
:colondollar: I'm awaiting the end of an auction on ebay. We all have our sleep avoidance tactics.

What are you buying? :ninja:

lol my flatmates can probably hear me laughing my ass off in here :colondollar:
Original post by ScheduleII
There are only ten- four in London, four in the midlands, one in Huddersfield and one in Brighton. Taboo, Amsterdam, Adultworld, Foxy Lady, Fantasy Video, Oscars, Abcat, Soho Cinema, Empire X, forgot the Brighton name.

None of them can be seen into but some have blinds, or just a plain door. And only four of the ten have a shop.

One was converted to a vodka bar on Oxford Road Manchester a few years ago, used to be called VIP.

And to think I made my comment above in jest....
Original post by KlaireDelilah
Generally and Genuinely.

"I generally didn't know that Delilah was your middle name!!!1!!dhdbcfhj"

**** off.

I know someone who does that on so many of her facebook statuses, it's so tempting to correct....but I'd feel like an arse if I did lol.

So stupid but when I was little I used to get really confused about "taking over" and " over taking" cars ....foolish child lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 451
Because of the show, The Flintstones, I used to think that the world was like cartoons back in the day. :colondollar:

I thought that most shows that weren't cartoons were actually made by filming real incidences.

I was one stupid child...
I thought Sony Ericsson was Sony Excretion. :s-smilie:
And was then told what Excretion meant.
Original post by Fusion
Today I found out it's not 'just desserts' but rather 'just deserts'.

de·sert The state or fact of deserving reward or punishment.

As it's Halloween I must mention I used to think 'trick or treat' was 'trickle treat'

What about when fans at football matches see themselves on the big screen and by default wave at it, as oppossed to the camera. lol

Oh. My. God. I could have carried on my entire life not knowing this. Now I question all I know.
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
I know someone who does that on so many of her facebook statuses, it's so tempting to correct....but I'd feel like an arse if I did lol.

So stupid but when I was little I used to get really confused about "taking over" and " over taking" cars ....foolish child lol.

I've started doing it to the one girl irl. It kinda just slips out though, and then I feel like a dick after.. haha
Alexander Bell DID NOT invent the telephone...
When I was in primary school I mistook "ramadam" for "Rotterdam", which I knew from the song...embarrassment ensued o_O
Original post by stifa
Because of the show, The Flintstones, I used to think that the world was like cartoons back in the day. :colondollar:

I thought that most shows that weren't cartoons were actually made by filming real incidences.

I was one stupid child...

Me too :indiff: Especially 'Kenan and Kel' :colondollar:
Reply 458
Basghetti. (My younger brother, not me. Thank God.)
Original post by Ice Constricter
I don't know if it's just americans but I always see people online type I could care less instead of I couldn't care less.

For example they'll say "I could care less if you hate me".

It's not even a typo, so I have no idea why alot of people seem to say that :confused:

Yeh, Americans often say stupid **** like this, and a year or so later, so do we.

EDIT: 'Irregardless'. That one pisses me off.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest