The Student Room Group

Looking harder for jobs does not reduce unemployment

Its pretty obvious that looking harder for jobs will not decrease unemployment.

Looking harder for a job does not increase the numbers of jobs, it might change who will get a job but not the overall level of unemployment.

So all the plans that the govt is doing such as the £1 billion scheme to pay employers to hire people temporarily is pointless since it does nothing to increase the numbers of jobs since it does not increase demand for the goods or services these companies produce.

Scroll to see replies

tbh, looking harder for jobs increases the probability of finding the right one.
on the other hand, the unemployed who want the job already look as hard as they can; others will not be bothered to.

and even if you get a temp job, you get paid, you spend those money, economy grows. a clear injection into the economy - a hope for a multiplier effect, look it up.
Reply 2
Government schemes are make-believe. They throw all this valuable money and hope it goes way. It DOESN'T. With more money comes more discrimination, more bullying, more threats, more stalking, more pain. Get rid of A4e, and you save millions for a start and make the world immediately a better place.

I don't think you can look harder, you can just look more often, and/or have your standards lowered. Unless you've become a zombie that is clicking links every waking hour before hanging yourself.

But better to be unemployed than to work for a job with high staff turnover. You know, working for bad companies like Co-op, KFC, A4e, where people walk out or leave after a couple of weeks all the time, where the manager bullies (until s/he is repalced in a few months by a new manager, who will be replaced in a few months etc.). Waste of time and emotion.

The turnover is high for a reason, after all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by trouble-trouble
tbh, looking harder for jobs increases the probability of finding the right one.
on the other hand, the unemployed who want the job already look as hard as they can; others will not be bothered to.

and even if you get a temp job, you get paid, you spend those money, economy grows. a clear injection into the economy - a hope for a multiplier effect, look it up.

All you do is displace someone else if you look harder for a job, be it permanent or temp.

Looking harder for a job does not create any new jobs.
Original post by Maker
All you do is displace someone else if you look harder for a job, be it permanent or temp.

Looking harder for a job does not create any new jobs.

I'm sorry, can you please point out the part of my post that states that looking harder for a job creates one?
Reply 5
on the other hand, the unemployed who want the job already look as hard as they can; others will not be bothered to..

and even if you get a temp job, you get paid, you spend those money, economy grows. a clear injection into the economy - a hope for a multiplier effect, look it up.[/QUOTE]

There
(edited 12 years ago)
Maker

There

That was referred to a £1mn injection into the economy.
How do you relate a multiplier effect to job creation, may I ask?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplier_(economics)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
That was referred to a £1mn injection into the economy.
How do you relate a multiplier effect to job creation, may I ask?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplier_(economics)

What is it and how does it apply to jobs?
Reply 8
I would have thought this was p obvious
Original post by Maker
What is it and how does it apply to jobs?

An injection of money into the economy will generate greater demand for goods and services; a greater demand will force companies to increase their capacity in order to satisfy the market - either by employing more labour or getting more capital; even if they do get capital, their supplier would have to increase their capacity through employing labour. now, the new hired labour will have some money to spend as well - so now they also increase demand, etc etc => a cycle, that multiplies the original injection and gets the economy grow faster.

that's how I remember it from the a-level economics curriculum.
Reply 10
Original post by Maker
Its pretty obvious that looking harder for jobs will not decrease unemployment.

Looking harder for a job does not increase the numbers of jobs, it might change who will get a job but not the overall level of unemployment.

So all the plans that the govt is doing such as the £1 billion scheme to pay employers to hire people temporarily is pointless since it does nothing to increase the numbers of jobs since it does not increase demand for the goods or services these companies produce.

You are right about the demand, although by hiring workers it will increase supply lowering prices/inflation, it will redistribute income giving the workers more disposable income which will be reused in the economy as a multiplier effect.

Workers will also gain skills, which will increase future employability and also are more likely to remain within the company, as they possess the skills already and it would be pointless retraining new workers.

The government will also raise more tax revenue from the various outlets in which the workers spend money, although i don't know the ins-and-outs of the plan it should generate more tax revenue than received from benefits alone.

Basically they can't shift demand although they can create a movement in demand due to lowering prices.

The advantages of this scheme surely merit it a try.
Reply 11
Looking harder for a job nay not decrease the level of unemployment but it will decrease the chances of you personally being one of those unemployed people.
Reply 12
An injection of money into the economy will generate greater demand for goods and services; a greater demand will force companies to increase their capacity in order to satisfy the market - either by employing more labour or getting more capital; even if they do get capital, their supplier would have to increase their capacity through employing labour. now, the new hired labour will have some money to spend as well - so now they also increase demand, etc etc => a cycle, that multiplies the original injection and gets the economy grow faster.

that's how I remember it from the a-level economics curriculum.

Doesn't explain recession.
Reply 13
Original post by emi_sarb
Looking harder for a job nay not decrease the level of unemployment but it will decrease the chances of you personally being one of those unemployed people.

Which is irrelevant to the OP.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Doesn't explain recession.

elaborate.
Reply 15
elaborate.

Its obvious, look up geometric progression.
Original post by Maker
Its obvious, look up geometric progression.

ok, you obviously don't know what you are talking about, don't embarrass yourself.
Reply 17
ok, you obviously don't know what you are talking about, don't embarrass yourself.

When people are reduce to insults, its usually because they have nothing intelligent to say.

So insult away.
Original post by Maker
When people are reduce to insults, its usually because they have nothing intelligent to say.

So insult away.

there was no insult, you refused to answer my question by saying "it's obvious" and referring to geometrical progression, which I know of, but there is no connection between job market, recession and geometric progression.

so obviously there is nothing for us to talk about as you are not as knowledgable as you want to look.
Reply 19

Wow with you're AS level in economics you're such an expert! We'll have to look it up now as we're not as economically knowledgeable as you are :albertein:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending