The Student Room Group

MA in Publishing at UCL - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by IK237
Let's just see what transpires. I am getting nervous regarding my interview though.

Thursday 2pm isn't it? Keep me updated of how you get on! You should be ok with that crazy overall average lol just dress as a batman:biggrin:
Reply 181
Original post by vinc10
They said they got some technical problem with portico:confused: anyway.. how long should I be expecting for a response? (they said 6 weeks on portico!)

(I sent you a PM as I don't understand the wall thingy)

The time frame they provide is a guideline really. They can take much longer :tongue:
Reply 182
Original post by vinc10
Thursday 2pm isn't it? Keep me updated of how you get on! You should be ok with that crazy overall average lol just dress as a batman:biggrin:

I will let everyone know how my interview goes IF I get an offer. If I fail to get an offer after my interview, you will never hear from me again on this thread or on the whole of TSR:s-smilie:
Reply 183
JUST HAD MY INTERVIEW FOR MSC MANAGEMENT! Basically all she was asking me was how I want to develop my career. Also, she said that most people who are in the MSc Management programme have already had experience and that I have no experience so I wont be offered a place:frown: but she gave me her card and told me to contact her personally if I can get an internship for next summer. If i can, she will offer me a place.
Reply 184
Original post by IK237
JUST HAD MY INTERVIEW FOR MSC MANAGEMENT! Basically all she was asking me was how I want to develop my career. Also, she said that most people who are in the MSc Management programme have already had experience and that I have no experience so I wont be offered a place:frown: but she gave me her card and told me to contact her personally if I can get an internship for next summer. If i can, she will offer me a place.

Damn, dude, sorry to hear that!

Bit crappy that they called you in, just to tell you that you wouldn't be getting a place. :s-smilie:

Wouldn't worry at all tbh seen as your average is insanely high..and it sounds like if you do an internship they will take you next year! That's pretty awesome.

Did she basically say that because you haven't done any internships etc. that you wouldn't get a place?
Reply 185
Original post by Akkuz

Bit crappy that they called you in, just to tell you that you wouldn't be getting a place. :s-smilie:

Wouldn't worry at all tbh seen as your average is insanely high..and it sounds like if you do an internship they will take you next year! That's pretty awesome.

Did she basically say that because you haven't done any internships etc. that you wouldn't get a place?

yes. She said I need some experience. But I am dissapointed. How the hell do I find a summer Internship this late?
Reply 186
Original post by IK237
yes. She said I need some experience. But I am dissapointed. How the hell do I find a summer Internship this late?

Look on the bright side, all they're basically doing is deferring your entry till next year.

Ask around your personal network of contacts and apply to as many schemes as you can.

It's not too late. A lot of schemes are still open. You got plenty of time to apply.
Reply 187
Original post by IK237

You are late? I interned at several multinational, Forbes top 75 companies that look for both summer grads as "1 year grads" that are not spending money on marketing efforts for attracting students. Please PM me if you need some names of those companies. You'd be surprised that these prestigious companies have problems attracting summer interns. Bottom line: do not worry. Even 1 month in advance you'd fine enough.
UCL Apply Online will be unavailable between 1800 on Wednesday 30th November and 2359 on Friday 2nd December 2011 due to an annual system upgrade. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

:angry:

I was finally ready to submit everything, and now this happens.
Reply 189
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];35154854']:angry:

I was finally ready to submit everything, and now this happens.

sucks, doesn't it D:

after waiting for my referee to upload my references for almost 3 weeks, she chooses TODAY to finally get it done.
guess this means she wont get to upload them until Monday, because portico doesnt work on weekends...?
Reply 190
Original post by Akkuz

I don't understand. They won't just invite you for an interview just to let you know you are not qualified. So as long as you get a summer intern (even at Sainsbury's as a cashier!!) they'll take you? :wink: Apart from that, how did the interview go, IK237?
Reply 191
Original post by vinc10
I don't understand. They won't just invite you for an interview just to let you know you are not qualified. So as long as you get a summer intern (even at Sainsbury's as a cashier!!) they'll take you? :wink: Apart from that, how did the interview go, IK237?

Well she told me she really likes my personality and enthusiasm but she also told me that the MSc Management programme is different this year and that they only accept candidates who have some work experience so that when they graduate with the MSc, they have a job waiting for them. She gave me her card and told me to contact her personally if I get into a relevant internship such as consultancy or finance and she will give me an offer.

I'm thinking of applying to kings college by tuesday but I am disheartned by the whole event today.
Reply 192
Original post by IK237
Well she told me she really likes my personality and enthusiasm but she also told me that the MSc Management programme is different this year and that they only accept candidates who have some work experience so that when they graduate with the MSc, they have a job waiting for them. She gave me her card and told me to contact her personally if I get into a relevant internship such as consultancy or finance and she will give me an offer.

I'm thinking of applying to kings college by tuesday but I am disheartned by the whole event today.

Keep your head high. Seriously given your marks it'll take you to any interview stage as long as the application form is well completed. Try to get an internship and apply KCL as a back up choice.
Reply 193
Original post by IK237

how long was your interview? more than 30 min?
could you please write the questions that they asked?:smile:
Reply 194
:mad:
Original post by zziippoo
how long was your interview? more than 30 min?
could you please write the questions that they asked?:smile:

She didn't ask me any questions but asked me to elaborate what I wrote on my personal statement. My interview lasted about 20 minutes.
Reply 195
Original post by IK237
:mad:

She didn't ask me any questions but asked me to elaborate what I wrote on my personal statement. My interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Thank you very much ...
Good Luck ..:smile:
Reply 196
From what I gather postgrad interviews (for business/management) just tend to ask you general questions. Nothing academic related.
Original post by zziippoo
I have applied on 24th of Oct. I am still waiting my second reference.
You? When did you apply?

What are you studying and where?

27th November. Am so anxious!

Am studying maths at york. How about you?
Reply 198
Does anyone think that I should include the fact that I've been given a conditional offer to study MSc management at UCL on the basis that I sucessfully complete a management consultancy internship on my CV when applying for internship? would that strengthen or weaken my CV?
Reply 199
Original post by IK237
Does anyone think that I should include the fact that I've been given a conditional offer to study MSc management at UCL on the basis that I sucessfully complete a management consultancy internship on my CV when applying for internship? would that strengthen or weaken my CV?

I would say definitely NOT to do that. What you have to do is to demonstrate why you want to work / gain insight in that industry but not finding a stepping stone so that you could get into UCL. Try think from employers' point of view...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending