The Student Room Group

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotoMimo
Some vegans and vegetarians can be quite snide about it, and add little underhanded comments into the mix, but some are really overt with "YOU KNOW HOW THEY MAKE THAT, RIGHT?"

I knew a vegetarian who *slowly* converted to SUPERVEGAN to the point where initially, she actually ate chicken and fish and eventually she was irritating everyone in our class about "YOU KNOW THEY MAKE THOSE (it was skittles or something, I can't recall) WITH BEETLE SHELLS, RIGHT? BEETLES. HOW DISGUSTING IS THAT. URGH. URGH. YOU'RE STILL EATING THEM? THAT CRUNCH IS LIKE YOU'RE CRUNCHING BEETLES."

We all kinda just ignored her, if she was doing it tongue-in-cheek we would've tolerated it fine, but she was being genuine and it irritated us no end.

I'm a girl who loves all sorts of food :biggrin: Once I went for a nosey on a vegetarian/vegan thread on here because I thought it would give me some new ideas for recipes or dishes I could try. I'm not vegetarian, I am a happy meat eater but it's always nice to taste new things :smile:

I was so disappointed and annoyed that it was just a group of hardcore vegans bitching about how eating meat/not being vegetarian should be made illegal since there is enough vegetarian produce anyway. :mad:

Nobody is taking steak away from me!
Reply 801
Saying you're going to make a "chip butty" and then returning with a sandwich filled with those "Fries to Go".

THAT IS NOT A CHIP BUTTY.
Reply 802
By the way, the above was something I encountered today. Anyone else as disgusted as I was at calling a sandwich filled with fries a "chip butty"? Man, it SHOULDN'T irritate me so much, but IT'S NOT A CHIP BUTTY!!

NO:

OH YEAH:

Reply 803
By the way, the above was something I encountered today. Anyone else as disgusted as I was at calling a sandwich filled with fries a "chip butty"? Man, it SHOULDN'T irritate me so much, but IT'S NOT A CHIP BUTTY!!

NO:

OH YEAH:

A sandwich with fries? :O omgwherehaveyoubeenallmylife?!
Reply 804
I love a Chip butty
A white crusty roll with butter is delicious in its own right
Now add a filling of proper chip shop chips with salt, vinegar and some sauce
mmmmmmmmm
Reply 805
Skyja, why did it never occur to you to put fries on a sandwich?

Anyway, you're welcome to do it... JUST DON'T CALL IT A CHIP BUTTY.

Now, I'm sure you'd enjoy a Lucky's OVERSTUFFED SANDWICH:

All your fillings, plus chips, salad and coleslaw on the sandwich too...

Reply 806
Original post by nadiah
One of my friends used to live with a vegan. Now I have no problems with vegans/vegetarians, and if I'm honest I have a lot of respect for them!

However all of my respect goes out of the window when stuff like this happens; every time she used to cook meat, he would be all "OMG THAT USED TO BE ALIVE, UR EATING ITS FLESH HOW GROSS" and similar things when she used to drink milk like "OMG ITS SO WRONG".

How rood :mad: She didn't judge him for being Vegan and in fact was always asking him questions/being genuinely interested, so I don't understand why he had to be so judgemental to her!

I love the way omnis never consider the possibility that their constant eating animal products around veggies ruins their enjoyment of their meals more than any outraged comments ever could. :rolleyes: Not even after you've pointed it out to them repeatedly! A lot of the time I have to wait until my flatmates finish eating dinner and aerate the kitchen before I can make my dinner because the stink of fried meat turns my stomach inside out. But, of course, while complaining about eating meat being gross is very judgemental, making me sick by eating meat in front of me all the time is very open-minded and accepting.
Reply 807
Original post by andyyy
I love the way omnis never consider the possibility that their constant eating animal products around veggies ruins their enjoyment of their meals more than any outraged comments ever could. :rolleyes: Not even after you've pointed it out to them repeatedly! A lot of the time I have to wait until my flatmates finish eating dinner and aerate the kitchen before I can make my dinner because the stink of fried meat turns my stomach inside out. But, of course, while complaining about eating meat being gross is very judgemental, making me sick by eating meat in front of me all the time is very open-minded and accepting.

It is however a huge difference for all of your flatmates to have to change what they eat to please on person compared to sitting next to someone and telling them what they eat is gross. Being open minded is not about changing what you do but about accepting that there are people doing things different from you.

And Toto I don't knoooow! Have to say though that if I would've done this where I live someone would most likely put it in this thread (;
Reply 808
Original post by andyyy

So she should have not eaten meat, at all? Just because someone had a different opinion from her? I lived with a veggie and she didn't care if I was cooking meat, in fact she'd always say she could appreciate that I liked it :o:rolleyes:
Reply 809
Original post by andyyy

So are they supposed to only eat in the middle of the night when you can't smell it?
Your 'stomach turning inside out' is purely psychological, you being vegetarian doesn't change your sense of smell - if you feel sick smelling meat then you're being over dramatic in your own head. I'm veggie but my entire family eat meat and if I happen to smell bacon, I don't go mental opening windows. You chose to be veggie so if it upset you so much you should have gone to live with other vegetarians.
Insisting on 'educating' everyone is patronising. Yes, most people DO know how that was made, and they've decided to eat it anyway...that's allowed :P!
Reply 810
A food crime to me is when people put Jam Roly Poly in a trifle instead of Boudoir Biscuits/Ladyfingers/Sponge Fingers/whateveryouwanttocallthem.

SPONGE FINGERS ARE GOD.
A food crime to me is when people put Jam Roly Poly in a trifle instead of Boudoir Biscuits/Ladyfingers/Sponge Fingers/whateveryouwanttocallthem.

SPONGE FINGERS ARE GOD.

I'd swap my own fingers for fingers made of sponge. Hell it'd mean I'd probably have to type on here with my nose..but I'd deal with it.
Reply 812
CRIME:

Cross contamination of the Four Section Crisp Dip Selection.

Reply 813
definitely chucking out the crusts of sliced bread - BEST bit for toast, normal slices go floppy by the time you eat it, the crust stays nice and crunchy!! :biggrin:

- leaving the crusts off your sandwich - why?!

- not eating the skin off the jacket potato - it's the best bit!

- going to subway and ordering a meat roll with no salad - salad is what MAKES a sub!!

i;m sure ill have more to write tomorrow!
People who hate sushi. I mean, c'mon, it's so good :wink:

NO:

OH YEAH:

A good thing to do when making potato wedges is to make far to many, so you can have potato wedges sandwiches the day after. They're better than chip butties cos of the herbs and spices you put on. :smile:
CRIME:

Cross contamination of the Four Section Crisp Dip Selection.

And that brings up the obvious:

No dipping an already bitten item into the communal dip. :mad:
Original post by divina commedia
People who hate sushi. I mean, c'mon, it's so good :wink:

It's all right, it's just that portion sizes are ridiculously small :erm:
Reply 818
When girls just dont eat enough. C'mon, you're too skinny! Eat a proper lunch, not an apple and a diet coke!
Original post by dnumberwang
It's all right, it's just that portion sizes are ridiculously small :erm:

That's kind of true, but it's also quite filling :smile: make some :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest