The Student Room Group

MySQA 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosie9391
What do you need help with? :smile:

It was just the named examples. Im all good though now thanks. I had my geography prelim today... didnt go to well though!!

Did you do higher chemistry or biology? Because I need serious help with calculations :smile:
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
It was just the named examples. Im all good though now thanks. I had my geography prelim today... didnt go to well though!!

Did you do higher chemistry or biology? Because I need serious help with calculations :smile:

Cool beans! Em, I've done higher biology but not chemistry. Post your problems anyway, as someone will be able to help. :p:
It's pretty obviously not the original SAM anymore

;_;
;_____________;

Toss them at me, I should be able to help you with the Biology and Chemistry questions.
As to not spam this thread with them, though - ask in here, for now.

I'm amusing the idea of creating specific threads to act as a dumping place for help with specific problems in subjects, like a "Chemistry help" thread, or a "Geography help" thread. Feedback? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I'm amusing the idea of creating specific threads to act as a dumping place for help with specific problems in subjects, like a "Chemistry help" thread, or a "Geography help" thread. Feedback? :tongue:

Nah cause then people would have to flick through loads of pages just to find help, and itll waste to much time

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Babb_zz
Nah cause then people would have to flick through loads of pages just to find help, and itll waste to much time

It wouldn't be anything like such. Instead it's as simple as open the thread, post question, read answer. No one's going to blame you for asking a question that was already answered on page 19 of 71. I'd hope not anyway. :tongue:

Original post by TheUnbeliever

Spoiler

It's the AH Maths thread which sparked the idea (you're right, it is 'entertaining an idea' I was looking for. :redface:), the thread's useful for all of us involved - albeit a bit cliquey - and felt sad that there wasn't one for subjects not at AH level.
As to being put off by the cliquey aspect of it all, I'd argue a similar point of making threads for all your questions; I know I've been put off creating a new thread for help with a homework question. Felt like I'd be spamming. So threads like the AH Maths thread work well as it gives someone a place to ask as many questions as they want without feeling they're being a nuisance to the forum, as that's what the thread's there for.

And also...

integrated group (e.g. the AH maths one)

:awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Toss them at me, I should be able to help you with the Biology and Chemistry questions.
As to not spam this thread with them, though - ask in here, for now.

Its a good idea. But i hate the fact that when you ask something, someone replies AFTER youve done the homework etc.
I dont understand the stuff about alcohols. When the c double bond o is on the inside its called something but then when its on the outside its referred to as something else. whats that all about? And same with the C to OH
Its a good idea. But i hate the fact that when you ask something, someone replies AFTER youve done the homework etc.
I dont understand the stuff about alcohols. When the c double bond o is on the inside its called something but then when its on the outside its referred to as something else. whats that all about? And same with the C to OH

The C=O is a carbonyl group, and if it's on the end if the molecule, it's an aldehyde, but anywhere else it's a ketone. This relates to the next point.

The hydroxyl group position relates to the idea of primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols. If the -OH is on the end of the molecule, it's a primary alcohol (and can be oxidised into an aldehyde), if it's attached to a carbon that has 2 carbons on each side of it (ie on the chain) then it's a secondary alcohol and can be oxidised into a ketone and if the -OH group is attached to a carbon that is attached to 3 other carbond eg a methyl group on the chain then it's a tertiary alcohol and can't be readily oxidised.

Go to HNS.net.uk > higher chemistry notes > Unit 2 Flow Diagram. Best thing for organic chem. :smile:

FWIW, I think the megathread is a bad idea. Newbies will make their own threads.

Yep, badumdumtsch beat me to it. I thought I'd add a bit in.

When it's on the end of a carbon chain, it's called an aldehyde (aka an alkanal), and when it's somewhere else in the middle, it's called a ketone (aka an alkanone), like he said. The reason chemists call them different names is because they have different chemical properties in some respects. The main difference you need to know about at Higher is that aldehydes can be oxidised into carboxylic acids, but ketones can't.
It's the same with alcohols, they have different names because they act differently. :smile:

What he said about the alcohols is spot on. :smile:
You mentioned trouble with calculations, feel free to make a few threads asking questions. ScotQuals has a plethora of scientists willing to help. :tongue:

When it's on the end of a carbon chain, it's called an aldehyde (aka an alkanal), and when it's somewhere else in the middle, it's called a ketone (aka an alkanone), like he said. The reason chemists call them different names is because they have different chemical properties in some respects. The main difference you need to know about at Higher is that aldehydes can be oxidised into carboxylic acids, but ketones can't.
It's the same with alcohols, they have different names because they act differently. :smile:

You mentioned trouble with calculations, feel free to make a few threads asking questions. ScotQuals has a plethora of scientists willing to help. :tongue:

That too. I'm doing a science degree so I'll be willing to help out with sciency things. :biggrin:

He?
Original post by badumdumtscht
That too. I'm doing a science degree so I'll be willing to help out with sciency things. :biggrin:

He?

****? She?

I've seen you posting about since I've joined the site and I've genuinely always thought you were male. My bad. :colondollar:

Oh thanks both of you. Do you have any tips on last minute revision for chemistry.
Units 1 and 2?

And you just made the kind of mistake that a woman never forgets!!! :tongue:
Are you male btw??
Oh thanks both of you. Do you have any tips on last minute revision for chemistry.
Units 1 and 2?

And you just made the kind of mistake that a woman never forgets!!! :tongue:
Are you male btw??

Male. Yep.
I can only hope that she'll ever forgive me. :sadnod:

I'd make sure you know all your types of bonding, why molecules have that type of bonding, and what the physical properties associated with that type of bonding is.

You'll get questions about mole ratios. Like "How many atoms are present in 1g of H2" in a multiple choice question. Or something like:
"In a mixture of CaCO3 and Na2CO3, there are 0.6 moles of carbonate ions, how many metal ions are present in the mixture?"
People mess up on these types of questions all the time, but they are honestly so easy. It's just proportions!

Make sure you can identify your functional groups, you should be able to look at a molecule and tell me if it's an alkane, alkene, alkanoic acid, aldehyde, alcohol - whatever! You should know reactions associated with these too, combustion, addition, condensation, oxidation, all of those!

Know your examples of polymers, I always forgot these, but you'll probably get a question about them and their properties.

Kevlar, Nylon, poly(ethenol), poly(ethyne), biopol and PVC.

You'll need your fuels and alternative fuels, too. How you can obtain them and what the products of their combustion is, advantages and disadvantages to this kind of fuel.

Emm...your biochemical molecules such as proteins, amino acids and fats & oils you'll need to understand too!

And last but not least, your dreaded calculations. Hess's Law, Percentage Yield, Molar volume, all of those. :tongue:

Calculations are just pure practice, just find some lists of them and practice them! Remember your formulas for them, real easy.

As for everything else, I can only advise revising them the way you learn best. I'd do past papers then clean up on the stuff that I don't know by reading through my notes, or writing little summaries out.

Hope I was some help. :tongue:
Yes you were... Helped to depress me even more :tongue:

No im kidding. Thanks and do you know the polymers do you have to know an example for EVERY one that you listed?
Male. Yep.
I can only hope that she'll ever forgive me. :sadnod:

I'd make sure you know all your types of bonding, why molecules have that type of bonding, and what the physical properties associated with that type of bonding is.

You'll get questions about mole ratios. Like "How many atoms are present in 1g of H2" in a multiple choice question. Or something like:
"In a mixture of CaCO3 and Na2CO3, there are 0.6 moles of carbonate ions, how many metal ions are present in the mixture?"
People mess up on these types of questions all the time, but they are honestly so easy. It's just proportions!

Make sure you can identify your functional groups, you should be able to look at a molecule and tell me if it's an alkane, alkene, alkanoic acid, aldehyde, alcohol - whatever! You should know reactions associated with these too, combustion, addition, condensation, oxidation, all of those!

Know your examples of polymers, I always forgot these, but you'll probably get a question about them and their properties.

Kevlar, Nylon, poly(ethenol), poly(ethyne), biopol and PVC.

You'll need your fuels and alternative fuels, too. How you can obtain them and what the products of their combustion is, advantages and disadvantages to this kind of fuel.

Emm...your biochemical molecules such as proteins, amino acids and fats & oils you'll need to understand too!

And last but not least, your dreaded calculations. Hess's Law, Percentage Yield, Molar volume, all of those. :tongue:

Calculations are just pure practice, just find some lists of them and practice them! Remember your formulas for them, real easy.

As for everything else, I can only advise revising them the way you learn best. I'd do past papers then clean up on the stuff that I don't know by reading through my notes, or writing little summaries out.

Hope I was some help. :tongue:

Whats Hess's Law??!
Whats Hess's Law??!

Oops. Sorry. Just looked up the course specifications and it's actually at the start of Unit 3. Never mind me. :tongue:
Oops. Sorry. Just looked up the course specifications and it's actually at the start of Unit 3. Never mind me. :tongue:

Lol. Its fine. Scared the hell out of me though.
Are you a student btw? And what are you studying? :smile:
Lol. Its fine. Scared the hell out of me though.
Are you a student btw? And what are you studying? :smile:

Nope. Still in 6th year. Doing AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths with crash Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending