The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obfuscator
I think that's true to an extent, but now I think about it, within the essay subjects, a lot of it comes down to essay writing skill. The people I know who get the really top marks in essay subjects like History and Englit are usually not the ones who are actually the best in the class, but they're the ones who know exactly what the examiner wants and somehow articulate it every time, despite paying little attention in class a lot of the time haha. This is the biggest flaw in the exam system, but somewhat off what you were originally talking about ahaha

I agree with this. With English lit you could have a perfect understanding of the book but if your exam technique isn't what the question requires then you're not going to get a high mark.
Reply 21
Original post by Obfuscator
I think that's true to an extent, but now I think about it, within the essay subjects, a lot of it comes down to essay writing skill. The people I know who get the really top marks in essay subjects like History and Englit are usually not the ones who are actually the best in the class, but they're the ones who know exactly what the examiner wants and somehow articulate it every time, despite paying little attention in class a lot of the time haha. This is the biggest flaw in the exam system, but somewhat off what you were originally talking about ahaha

Haha its off topic but I completely agree! :tongue:

I've always thought GCSE's a more a test of time management than anything else and to an extent I think it's true for Alevels as well. In the summer if I end up with more A*s at Alevel than I got at GCSE then I can't help but think this even more as doing less subjects has made Alevels seem slightly easier on the whole than I think I found GCSE's (which might sound stupid) but I'm quite bad at organising my time, I find it much easier to just have 3 text books than a shed load of text books, an art book, a camera and a blank canvas :biggrin:
Reply 22
I only got 1 A in my GCSEs and ended up with 3 A*s in my A-levels.
Reply 23
I got 3A*s and a B, and I'm one of the worst of my year at uni, despite working harder. A-Levels mean nothing.
Reply 24
Original post by pk550
I only got 1 A in my GCSEs and ended up with 3 A*s in my A-levels.

How did you do it?
Any tips? :colondollar:
They spend less time on TSR :wink:
Not many, but id imagine quite a few come close.

I was collectively 5 UMS marks away from 3A*s at A-Level.
Reply 27
Work really hard
Reply 28
Original post by spocckka
I got 3A*s and a B, and I'm one of the worst of my year at uni, despite working harder. A-Levels mean nothing.

What course you doing and where?
It's hard to obtain figures for candidates with straight A*, but something like 8% of A level entries are awarded an A*. However I reckon only about 1% of A level candidates achieve 3 A*'s or more.
Reply 30
Original post by somethingbeautiful
GCSE's nationally:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16730017

A-Levels are trickier to find info for (no idea why). I can find Local Authority Data but not overall national data.

Liverpool for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/education/school_tables/secondary/11/html/341.stm

Government A-level data (search by region):

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=GR&f=MVa1PhOftn&superview=p16&view=&sort=l_schname&ord=asc

Helpful: http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/16to18_05/howtoread.shtml

This article from 2011 claims that the national average for A* is 8% and national average for A is 18%

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/9210795.A_levels_results_exceed_national_average/

So 3 A*s would be
(0.08*0.08*0.08)*100?

0.05% of the population?
1/2000?
Reply 31
Original post by tehforum
So 3 A*s would be
(0.08*0.08*0.08)*100?

0.05% of the population?
1/2000?

If you've got one A* your much more likely to have a second and third.
Reply 32
G=ε E(I/i)
Where G = grade
E = effort from 1 to 10
I =intelligence from 1 to 10
i = interest from 1 to 2
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by mucgoo
If you've got one A* your much more likely to have a second and third.

Why?

I'm assuming uniform distribution, and that they are independent.

It gives a rough estimate.
Original post by tehforum
Why?

I'm assuming uniform distribution, and that they are independent.

It gives a rough estimate.

There's more than 1 in 2000 that get 3 A*'s. I think 1 in 100 is a more appropriate estimate.
Reply 35
Original post by Az_016
What course you doing and where?

Engineering at Durham.
Reply 36
Original post by 1platinum
There's more than 1 in 2000 that get 3 A*'s. I think 1 in 100 is a more appropriate estimate.

I really doubt its anything like 1 in 100, I'd say more like 1 in 1000

A large percent of college's and sixth forms will have nobody who gets 3 A*s or more
Original post by Benniboi1
I really doubt its anything like 1 in 100, I'd say more like 1 in 1000

A large percent of college's and sixth forms will have nobody who gets 3 A*s or more

Definitely not 1 in 1000! It's not that rare, maybe 1 in 200 is a little more realistic. :smile:
Reply 38
about 1 percent
Reply 39
A few virgins with really peado like mustaches

Latest