The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7960
hey guys, im a bit worried... im in a long distance relationship but only been together since january 1st and we've never lived near each other, always 2-3 hours by coach apart. this summer ive committed to going travelling around south america alone for two months but think its going to ruin everything with him... i know a lot of you will say we've only been together a short time but we get on extremely well. any advice? hes talked about coming out to see me but the flights are around £1000 and id feel guilty. but i know how much ill regret it if i dont take the opportunity to go. just a rant really... thanks x
Original post by jeh_jeh
It's like, NO ONE TOLD ME HOW IT WAS GOING TO BE. Ugh. And Brescia's so expensive (I got surprisingly used to seeing very expensive super-cars casually parked at the side of the road!) that I couldn't even afford to go and stay in a hotel even if he had visited. Then again, one of my friends was in collegio in Urbino and it sounds like she had an amazing time.

I know, exactly. My boyfriend's degree also means that I have to follow him round if we want to live together - to a certain extent he doesn't get that much choice about which hospitals he's in at the moment. Holding on to the light at the end of the tunnel, though.

And, really, I shouldn't complain too much - I'm seeing him tomorrow! I've got my oral exam first, though (a ten minute presentation on il percorso d'autonomia per le persone disabili (self-empowerment for disabled people). Ugh, never gonna learn it all!). :sad:

I understand perfectly :yep: The only thing we can do is to go on day by day and hope that everything will be alright very soon :redface:

Good luck for the presentation of tomorrow!!! If you need anything just write me! I'm here! :hugs:
Reply 7962
Original post by andrea13
hey guys, im a bit worried... im in a long distance relationship but only been together since january 1st and we've never lived near each other, always 2-3 hours by coach apart. this summer ive committed to going travelling around south america alone for two months but think its going to ruin everything with him... i know a lot of you will say we've only been together a short time but we get on extremely well. any advice? hes talked about coming out to see me but the flights are around £1000 and id feel guilty. but i know how much ill regret it if i dont take the opportunity to go. just a rant really... thanks x

Obviously you should definitely go still - this is an amazing opportunity - but you seem to know this already. In terms of the relationship, two months isn't that long. I mean, it seems like ages, but it's definitely doable. I went international long-distance (we're also long-distance ish when we're both at home and uni, too) with my boyfriend after four months of knowing him, and two of going out. And we routinely did six and seven week long separations. It won't be as bad as you think, honestly - especially because you'll be having an amazing time out there. Good luck!
Reply 7963
Original post by Ms. Snuffleupagus
I understand perfectly :yep: The only thing we can do is to go on day by day and hope that everything will be alright very soon :redface:

Good luck for the presentation of tomorrow!!! If you need anything just write me! I'm here! :hugs:

Thanks. It's just so hard to learn it all, and I'm having major issues with the words istitutionalizzate ("institutionalised") and guarigione ("healing") - pronunciation disaster! Think I'm going to have to go and find some synonyms!
Original post by jeh_jeh
Thanks. It's just so hard to learn it all, and I'm having major issues with the words istituzionalizzate ("institutionalised") and guarigione ("healing") - pronunciation disaster! Think I'm going to have to go and find some synonyms!

Some of our words are strange, I know! :rolleyes:
For "guarigione" I can think of "ripresa" or "miglioramento"...they mean the same thing. For "istituzionalizzate" you could use "legalizzate" or "riconosciute" maybe?
Reply 7965
Original post by andrea13

It's 2 months, that's nothing! I would give anything for my end date to be 2 months away!

Go and enjoy your trip, and I'm sure you will find a way of keeping in touch. You'll be so busy having an amazing time you won't even notice the time pass.
Original post by silverbolt
*Trumpet noise - its penis perspective time. See i have my uses. :biggrin: (should have used the :colone: smiley but there we go)

Ok on this i think you need to talk but do not accuse otherwise even with the best intentions you may come across as the demanding girlfriend. But at the same time you dont want to be too weak otherwise even with the best of intentions you could find yourself taking a back seat. Talk to him, tell him your feeling rather under appreciated and he only wants to see you when its convienient to him. Dont feel bad for wanting a little bit of attention.

a bit of give and take is needed here, give him time to take your own. Get involved in what hes doing that way it wont be "them and you" but make sure hes involved with what your going on as well.

Haha thank you for the male perspective. It's just hard because I know that (for example) if I dont put my foot down about seeing him next week I won't for a month and I don't think he views it in that way.

I'm scared that we're going to end up distant and he won't even feel like he has a girlfriend.

(again, I know there are people on this board who don't see each other for months and I shouldn't be complaining, but I feel we should be seeing each other more as the distant is not that bad)
Original post by hooked_on_it
Haha thank you for the male perspective. It's just hard because I know that (for example) if I dont put my foot down about seeing him next week I won't for a month and I don't think he views it in that way.

I'm scared that we're going to end up distant and he won't even feel like he has a girlfriend.

(again, I know there are people on this board who don't see each other for months and I shouldn't be complaining, but I feel we should be seeing each other more as the distant is not that bad)

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be an important valued part of his life. My gf has her friends and i have mine thats a given but at the same time part of being in a relationship is that your partner is of high import.
Ok this is a wierd one.

but i dont feel that i let her do "enough for me" Its hard to explain.

im very independant, im used to doing everything for myself with little support from my partner (well ex now obviously).

She is used to having to do everything for her partner and always being the one to handle everything (basically he took the piss). Now she likes/needs/desires to be the one that people lean on. She keeps offering to do things for me (for instance she offered to pay for me to ship something to Ireland so i didnt have to sell it, its a four foot case full of models it will cost a lot to do so). Or she will offer to wake up early to do a wake up call for me and i feel like i keep saying no. I just dont think its nessecary to put her out for the sake of putting her out when i can do it myself. but at the same time i dont want her to feel that i dont need her or want or appreciate the things she does for me. On one hand it could be a case of me being reluctant to relenquish control of myself, on the other hand it could be me carrying on like a bull in a china shop. Its making me second guess myself and i know thats not her fault - i just dont want to lose her. Of course am i simply over reacting or over analysing.

And i dont know if this will upset her or annoy her or whatever.
Reply 7969
Some of our words are strange, I know! :rolleyes:
For "guarigione" I can think of "ripresa" or "miglioramento"...they mean the same thing. For "istituzionalizzate" you could use "legalizzate" or "riconosciute" maybe?

"Ripresa" works, thanks!, but "istituzionalizzate" refers to disabled people who don't live with their families, but instead have to live in care homes in this instance. So I don't think "legalizzate" or "riconosciute" would be right in this context. :sad:
Original post by such_a_lady
I admire you so much for surviving that:smile:

Aw, thank you :smile: he was away this time last year... when I look back I have no idea how we managed it, but I suppose I wasn't anywhere near as stressed about my degree then as I am now, and stress always makes me feel needy.

We have to do it again, though :frown: he has to go away again for another 3-4 months (likely four) in order to finish the qualification he's studying for, and he'll be going in either December or January. I'm praying that it'll be January, as being at sea for Christmas and his birthday would just be horrible for him. :frown:
This time next week will be nearly there, cannot wait at all :daydreaming:

(...and now back to revising instead of wasting time on TSR :ninja:)
Reply 7972
Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on sex in a long distance relationship...

My boyfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for 7 months and we are doing well. But every time we meet (once every 3 weeks), we end up having sex. I mean, I'm not complaining, I love him and he loves me too, but sometimes I feel like we have it a bit too much and not enough 'talking'/communicating. I'm just worried that it will become a habit and it'll be all we do.

What are your opinions on this? Did you have worries like this or do I worry too much? :redface:

Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kar09
Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on sex in a long distance relationship...

My boyfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for 7 months and we are doing well. But every time we meet (once every 3 weeks), we end up having sex. I mean, I'm not complaining, I love him and he loves me too, but sometimes I feel like we have it a bit too much and not enough 'talking'/communicating. I'm just worried that it will become a habit and it'll be all we do.

What are your opinions on this? Did you have worries like this or do I worry too much? :redface:

Thanks in advance.

Hey! I had this worry when I first started going out with my boyfriend. We saw each other every 3 or four weeks to start of with and we did always just spend the whole weekend having sex. For a while I thought that's all he wanted from me but it turned out it wasn't!

My advice is to plan things to do when you see each other (like going out for meals and cinema, etc). That way it won't seem like that's all you do.

Being in a long distance relationship does mean you miss the intimacy/ physical side A LOT so it makes sense to make up for lost time! But I don't think you should worry about it. If it doesnt bother then I say enjoy it! Just plan to do other things as well.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi guys

Me and my boyfriend's 3rd year anniversary is coming up and I want to get him something special. I'd appreciate our suggestions!

In the past, I've gotten him comic books, quirky star wars things (because thats what he likes!), a love keyring (he kept half the heart and I have the other half)

I have no idea what to get him now. I want something that symbolizes our relationship, the future, love, etc and the fact that we have lasted 3 years (even though they have been extremely tough)

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance guys!
Reply 7975
Original post by greenjellybean
Hi guys

Me and my boyfriend's 3rd year anniversary is coming up and I want to get him something special. I'd appreciate our suggestions!

In the past, I've gotten him comic books, quirky star wars things (because thats what he likes!), a love keyring (he kept half the heart and I have the other half)

I have no idea what to get him now. I want something that symbolizes our relationship, the future, love, etc and the fact that we have lasted 3 years (even though they have been extremely tough)

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance guys!

Hey!

Thanks for the advice. Will plan well for other events as well. :smile:
I did feel like I was overthinking a bit... but I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.

Hmm, how about a photo frame or photo album (with maybe a few pages left for you two to complete the rest of the memories)? Like representing the three years of memories and more to come... :smile: Plus, you can also write him a letter/notes to reflect on the highlights of your relationship (the ups and downs), everything that you two have been through which has brought you this far in the relationship.

Just an idea... :smile: and hope it helps you too.

Congratulations for getting this far.
Keep strong. :smile:
hey, this is my first time posting on TSR so forgive me if I ramble :tongue:

basically I'm heading off to uni in september and the uni is literally ages away from where I live (aberystwyth).
Obviously I'm excited to be going and experiencing uni life and everything but I have just re-kindled the beginnings of a relationship with a girl that I have been with (on-off) since I was 19 (i'm now 22). I really do want to be with her, and we both want it to develop into a long-term meaningful relationship - BUT I have never been in a LDR before, and neither has she...
I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to ensure that our relationship works, and how to make it as easy as possible for us to continue being together :smile:

Anyways hope the vast TSR can help me out!!
Original post by rainbow drops
I was apart from my boyfriend for four months, not five, but during that time we barely spoke at all as he was on a navy voyage. We could send one email a day to each other and got to text/call each other about once a month, and that was it communication-wise.

Aside from keeping busy and basically 'getting on with it' as you've said, I found that the best thing to do when I felt super down (i.e. on my birthday and our two-year anniversary, both of which happened when he was away, ugh :frown:) was to surround myself with friends and family who made me feel so much better. Try and keep in contact as much as you can, too, obviously! I don't think I'd have found my four month separation from my guy anywhere near as horrendous if we'd been able to speak to each other over the internet or if we'd had more opportunity to text and call. Having something to look forward to also really helped me (aside from the prospect of seeing him again) because we'd booked a holiday to Paris before he went away, and I used to think of that whenever I felt down. With that length of separation, though, you just have to accept that there will be times when you feel horribly down about it all, but that feeling does pass, trust me. :hugs:

Thanks so much for the advice! We are planning to go on holiday together when I get back. I'm realising the key is thinking positively, having fun when I can, and not dwelling too much on the number of days we'll be apart. :smile:

I'll also keep in mind that we won't be apart for this long again, although it won't be the end of the LDR. I think if I was going to be away for 5 months, and come back only to be away for that long again it would crush me.
Uhmmm, he's being difficult today :s-smilie:

He woke up and already I could tell from his email that he woke up irritated - has a major exam in three days. I went along with it and acted cool.
Earlier this evening he brought up two things that are really annoying for me, and I tried to keep my cool, and now something else..something in the way he speaks, or better yet some words he's using more and more often, that gives me worry that he might have met some girl he might like... paranoia -.-'
I want to be good today, I want to take the high road and just avoid conflict, but I feel like a time bomb...one more comment and I'll hit the roof!! :frown:
Original post by andy__2111
hey, this is my first time posting on TSR so forgive me if I ramble :tongue:

basically I'm heading off to uni in september and the uni is literally ages away from where I live (aberystwyth).
Obviously I'm excited to be going and experiencing uni life and everything but I have just re-kindled the beginnings of a relationship with a girl that I have been with (on-off) since I was 19 (i'm now 22). I really do want to be with her, and we both want it to develop into a long-term meaningful relationship - BUT I have never been in a LDR before, and neither has she...
I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to ensure that our relationship works, and how to make it as easy as possible for us to continue being together :smile:

Anyways hope the vast TSR can help me out!!

Well the key to it all is communication! If you're both wanting to give this a go, you both need to know where you stand (i.e. no constant on-offing, trust me when i say itll mess with your head, i've been there, and it just makes it 1000 times harder) and make sure you're always open and honest with each other and willing to make time for each other :smile: good luck :smile:

Uhmmm, he's being difficult today :s-smilie:

He woke up and already I could tell from his email that he woke up irritated - has a major exam in three days. I went along with it and acted cool.
Earlier this evening he brought up two things that are really annoying for me, and I tried to keep my cool, and now something else..something in the way he speaks, or better yet some words he's using more and more often, that gives me worry that he might have met some girl he might like... paranoia -.-'
I want to be good today, I want to take the high road and just avoid conflict, but I feel like a time bomb...one more comment and I'll hit the roof!! :frown:

Exams is such a hard time :sad: :hugs: I know you want to take the high road but its a million times better you sit and talk to him about it calmly for half an hour than him saying something and you hitting the roof and spending hours sorting it out! Its your call, and obviously only bring up serious stuff like this close to exams if it just can't wait, but this sounds like it can't (make it clear to him that if it wasn't seriously important to you, you wouldn't be bringing it up, if you do decide to!) so whatever you decide to do :hugs:

Original post by rainbow drops

We have to do it again, though :frown: he has to go away again for another 3-4 months (likely four) in order to finish the qualification he's studying for, and he'll be going in either December or January. I'm praying that it'll be January, as being at sea for Christmas and his birthday would just be horrible for him. :frown:

:hugs: when do you find out when he goes? My fingers are crossed for you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending