The Student Room Group

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Hey! I got in to do biology and chemistry and I'm going to be in Common Lane House. I'm pretty nervous though! I don't know anyone else going, and I'm really scared of everyone else being stupidly smart and falling behind. Ahhhh, I'm excited but nervous at the same time!
Reply 521
glad to hear noone else has heard from eton either about receiving all the acceptance forms, dad checked today and the cheque hadn't been cashed in so i was getting really worried ahaha.. it's getting sooner ahhhhhhh can't wait to meet you all!
is there anyone else doing geography? :smile:
Something tells me we're probably not going to hear anything else, although it would be nice just so I know my acceptance form got back to them okay. I keep on worrying that something will have happened to it in the post! :L

Also, has anyone been accepted for any other summer schools? I got a place on the Cambridge sutton trust one today, and I kind of feel bad about accepting a place on two.. xD
I know! I get so worried that something happened to my form, and I'm gonna turn up and then I have to leave because they've given my place away... which Im sure wont happen but my mind thinks like that.

To ZoeMaloey, nope. I did apply to the cambridge sutton trust as well, but they sent me a letter saying I didnt get a place. If you want to go to two then do it. Cambridge is cool. I went there for 3 days in yr10 for a 'Chemistry Camp'. It was very nice there.
Original post by ZoeMaloey
Something tells me we're probably not going to hear anything else, although it would be nice just so I know my acceptance form got back to them okay. I keep on worrying that something will have happened to it in the post! :L

Also, has anyone been accepted for any other summer schools? I got a place on the Cambridge sutton trust one today, and I kind of feel bad about accepting a place on two.. xD

Me too! I can't help but worry about that kind of thing. Although, because my twin sister also applied, I at least knew it wasn't just me :smile:
Ugh, i really wish they would let us know that they got our acceptance form. I also need to buy the jumper. What colours did you all get? I am thinking green.

I'm going to be nervous when i get there. I'm not very good at talking to people i dont know. and of course im worried that i wont understand anything... still cant wait though.

Also, I wish you all good luck for your exams!!!
Original post by InvisibleInk
Ugh, i really wish they would let us know that they got our acceptance form. I also need to buy the jumper. What colours did you all get? I am thinking green.

I'm going to be nervous when i get there. I'm not very good at talking to people i dont know. and of course im worried that i wont understand anything... still cant wait though.

Also, I wish you all good luck for your exams!!!

I wish they could tell us too! Although I guess one way to find out would be to ask your parents if their cheque has been cashed? Which I keep meaning to do... I know my cheque for the jumper has been cashed, so that must have got there alright. I got a grey hoodie :biggrin:

And don't worry, I am ridiculously nervous too! I'm now panicking about the whole sport thing, because I'm really enthusiastic, but I'm also just really bad, and I'm worried I'm going to make a fool out of myself -.-
Reply 527
Original post by ZoeMaloey
I got a grey hoodie :biggrin:

And don't worry, I am ridiculously nervous too! I'm now panicking about the whole sport thing, because I'm really enthusiastic, but I'm also just really bad, and I'm worried I'm going to make a fool out of myself -.-

Totally butting in here, but hey ho.. I am keen to try out some of the sports too, but I will be equally awful, so I'm sure it won't matter too much!

Also, is anyone taking musical instruments? It did say to somewhere in the form, just wanted to get a consensus on that one...
woah, wait what? Sports? Did i somehow miss something in the letter? I dont remember anything about sports! I'm not sporty...

No, i'm not taking an instrument, mainly because i cant play any :biggrin: But you can take small instruments, and they have a drum kit and stuff if you want to do that. Im not doing anything for speeches, because i cant do anything... aw, that makes me feel talentless. But im looking forward to seeing what other people will do :biggrin:

I really need to get round to ordering a hoodie... my brain just doesnt remember to do these things.
Reply 529
Original post by InvisibleInk
woah, wait what? Sports? Did i somehow miss something in the letter? I dont remember anything about sports! I'm not sporty...

Neither am I! But I'm up for having a go at least, though I can guarantee I'll look like a huge fool. Maybe I should try out golf instead? :wink:
Just looked back at the letters and it kind of mentions sport. I think I may have just got that idea mainly from speaking to the year 13s from my school. Still it would be cool to give things a go, I will probably just completely fail :L Golf does sound good though :wink:

And no, I won't be taking an instrument, again just because I don't play one :L
Reply 531
Original post by Kalliope
I've got a place for English :grin: So excited! Anyone else in Common Lane House btw?

I don't know anyone else going on it and no-one from my school has ever applied before so I haven't got a clue what to expect. Little worried everyone else will have school friends with them.

The letter has just been sitting on the side next to me all morning because Mum didn't say I had any post.

I am also doing english! I am in Penn House :smile:. I've read everything now except Mrs Dalloway. I absolutely adored Disgrace!
Reply 532
Original post by EsmeA
Neither am I! But I'm up for having a go at least, though I can guarantee I'll look like a huge fool. Maybe I should try out golf instead? :wink:

I am so reassured to hear other people are bad at sports! It might be a laugh if we all fail together :wink:
Reply 533
Original post by Helen T
I am so reassured to hear other people are bad at sports! It might be a laugh if we all fail together :wink:

I'm so glad we're all in the same boat then! :wink: We better all be wearing our keen hoodies too, I wonder when they'll arrive...

Also, anyone doing humanities in particular (I'm doing History) who's been sent a reading list? I expected to get one, but I haven't heard anything and they've left it a little late to send a request for us to get down to some reading material if that's what they wanted. Anyone received a reading list?
Reply 534
only 24 days to gooo :biggrin: not going to lie, pretty excited! Biology and chemistry anyone? In reply to stuff above I ordered a grey hoodyy, would love for it to come soon though!
Ahhh! Thats so soon! I ordered a green hoody. But I ordered it on the 4th June and then I got an email saying that I'll get it when I arrive there.

For the speeches thing, what kind of skirt/dress are you wearing? I don't think I have anything suitable... and I'm afraid that I'll either overdress or underdress.

Considering that its a summer school, Im more excited for it than I thought I would be. But then again it sounds like fun and it was that or go to school. Im pretty happy with missing two weeks of school :smile:
You got an email? I sent my form off for the hoodie but I haven't heard anything back :/ I also have no idea what to wear, I'm going to have to sort that out pretty soon though or I know that it'll just never get done :L

I'm pretty excited to :biggrin: But talking about missing school... I got an email from my chemistry teacher talking about how he understood June/July seemed like the perfect time to go to lot's of open days, but that it was really important that we don't miss too much time because of coursework and stuff. I've yet to tell him I'm going to be missing two weeks worth of his lessons...
Perhaps I got an email because I ordered and paid by email?
I went shopping today and my goal was to buy a nice simple dress that I could just wear some nice jewellery with, but instead got stuff I didnt need...

Oh dear. Good luck with telling him that... actually, I havent told my school that I'll be missing two weeks. But I figured it didnt matter too much. I can copy notes from a friend, and anyway, I will forget everything over the summer holidays.

Speaking of open days, I really wanted to go to a cambridge open day, so its just my luck that they are on the 5th and 6th of July. (Also my luck that a quidditch match for a olympic torch ceremony in Oxford is on the 9th July...)
Ah, that would make sense. Sorry, I forgot you could order by email :P I've not even had a chance to go shopping yet, but I'm pretty sure that even when I do get round to going I probably won't find anything :L But I'm looking for the same sort of thing - just something nice and simple.

Aha, I'm not too sure how well he's going to take it xD I wouldn't really be all that bothered if it wasn't for the fact that we're supposedly doing a lot of our coursework in that time. My head of year knows though, and everybody else has been fine with it.

I know, I've had a similar problem with open days. I also wanted to to try and go to that quidditch match... I didn't realise that it was while we're away!
When I heard about the quidditch match i just thought 'I have to go!' so I was sad when I found out I couldn't. How often do you get to go and see a quidditch match? The UK doesnt have many quidditch teams, and I don't think there are any official teams (who enter the quidditch world cup).

I think I've figured out what to wear. I'll probably buy a skater dress from ebay. Plus some nice jewellery and I'm sorted.

I'm hoping that the summer school might help me a bit in deciding what to study at uni. Does anyone have any idea what they want to study yet? I thought I did until a few months ago...

Quick Reply

Latest