The Student Room Group

What will happen if I fail my science GCSEs?

I think I may pass Chemistry with a C if I'm lucky, but I don't stand a chance in Physics or Biology. I revised a lot for my Biology mock and still got a low D. :frown:

I'm not a stupid person, I just don't understand or have any interest in Science. The rest of my subjects I have been predicted As and A*s in.

I don't want to work in Science at all when I'm older.

So, what happens if I can't pass my Biology, Chemistry and Physics exams?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing, unlike math or English you don't necessarily have to pass science, so if you fail, well then...you fail.
Reply 2
You fail. That's all that happens, you're not going to get hunted down and killed or something :L
Reply 3
As long as you don't need to have them for the future for a-levels ect.. They aren't compulsory compared to maths and english :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by theGeezus
Nothing, unlike math or English you don't necessarily have to pass science, so if you fail, well then...you fail.

Well, I'm fine at Maths and good at English, so that should be fine.

It's just that my school is obsessed with getting a 100% pass rate in all the core subjects, so that's slightly concerning.
You may not need them for the future but it is good to have them. You never know, you might change your mind when your older and not having GCSE Sciences will rule you out of studying A level Sciences until you acquired them. Just try your hardest. If that is a C or a D then that's fine; as long as you give it your best. :smile:
Original post by Kitty11
Well, I'm fine at Maths and good at English, so that should be fine.

It's just that my school is obsessed with getting a 100% pass rate in all the core subjects, so that's slightly concerning.

Your school's ranking in the tables is not your concern. It's as though that's all they're interested in, rather than giving their students proper education.
If you aren't interested in Science in your future education and/or career then don't worry about it, just do what you can.
Nothing. Although, if you have the exams yet to come I'd suggest that you still devote a reasonable amount of time towards them. I've forgone revision for subjects I believed to have no real effect on my future before and in retrospect I wished I'd dedicated a bit more time to them.
But don't worry, If you simply don't feel like you'll do well there's no real problem. :smile:
Reply 8
Don't worry. I'm getting all D's in my science and I revise hard too. I feel I should have been placed in BTEC science. Just try your best, that's all you can do :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by sliceofcake
Your school's ranking in the tables is not your concern. It's as though that's all they're interested in, rather than giving their students proper education.
If you aren't interested in Science in your future education and/or career then don't worry about it, just do what you can.

That is literally all they're interested in. :/

Also, thanks for the answers, guys! I feel a bit better now. :smile:
Reply 10
Ace your other exams, as you feel more confident with them, and give it your best shot for science. You may be surprised with the result :wink:
Reply 11
You will be fine.
Reply 12
Go in to the exam knowing that you have revised to the best of your ability! That is all anyone can ask
Reply 13
Your school's managers might be mainly concerned with the league tables but your teachers will be pushing you to pass the sciences because they know you'll be poorer for it for the rest of your life, in terms of your general awareness of the world around you, if you fail. That said, it won't hurt lower end job prospects or further study into the arts.
Reply 14
Original post by Kitty11
I think I may pass Chemistry with a C if I'm lucky, but I don't stand a chance in Physics or Biology. I revised a lot for my Biology mock and still got a low D. :frown:

I'm not a stupid person, I just don't understand or have any interest in Science. The rest of my subjects I have been predicted As and A*s in.

I will personally come and hunt you down!
No one fails sceince and LIVES! I mean NO ONE :cool:
My mum always told me; "Look at it this way, if you apply for a job, and they look at your GCSEs, there may be someone with exactly the same grades as you going for the same job. If that other person got an A in science and you got a C, they'll choose the other person. Although it may not matter to you, being smart is a trait most businesses need"

Good advice tbh
Reply 16
Original post by Kitty11

I STARTED OFF YEAR 10 GETTING 11/60 For my chemistry.. now that ive revised im getting 35s and 40 even though i have no interest in them, i guess it just looks better if you get the pass in the biology and physics, just try and dont give up :smile:
Still revise as hard as you can for them, despite not having an interest in them as although it doesn't really matter, passes in science GCSEs will look good on your CV etc when you are older :h:
I hate most of my subjects (apart from maths + science) but I'm still going to try because the grades will be fairly useful in the future :smile:
Just realised this was from 2012...:colonhash:
Who finds these threads?!
Reply 19
Original post by _TwistedHD
My mum always told me; "Look at it this way, if you apply for a job, and they look at your GCSEs, there may be someone with exactly the same grades as you going for the same job. If that other person got an A in science and you got a C, they'll choose the other person. Although it may not matter to you, being smart is a trait most businesses need"

Good advice tbh

my english teacher always said then, then he left halfway through our studies so i guess all my class will fail anyway

Latest