The Student Room Group

Psychology a2 WJEC py4 help

Hi, so basically I have my a2 psychology exam on 18th June and I have to learn 4 topics; relationships, controversies, crime and levels of consciousness. These are for the WJEC exam board.
I have to learn 5 essays essays for each topic and each essay includes; 2 explanations, research studies to support/contradict the theories and strengths and weaknesses.
the exam is 2 and a half hours but we are advised to spend 35-40 mins on each essay and you get marked on a01 (description) and ao2 (evaluation).

I have two teachers and one of my teachers is asking me to write 7 pages with 20 research studies and 4 strengths and 4 weaknesses for each (in 40mins?!) while the other one is telling me to write 3 pages with 6 studies and 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses.I'm worried that with this method i will not write loads and will not get a good grade :frown:
They are telling me different things and i don't know what to do.
I want to get the best possible grade baring in mind that i have to learn all of this too...

Can anyone help me please? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking the very same exam.

I've only learned about twelve so far, though:/
How much have you learned?

Oh, and I was told by my teacher to write 3 pages with at least 6 studies, so I'm taking on that method. It's much more realistic, too - no way in hell would I be able to 7 pages in 35-40 minutes!
Reply 2
same i'm taking this and i can't remember any of the evaluation it's ridiculous
and i was told to write 4 pages which must include a page on description, 2 for evaluation and 1 for methodology of the studies. (like lab, natural, field etc..)

slightly worrying though, i'm such a slow writer :frown:
what grade are you aiming for??
Reply 3
hey,
thank you guys for replying! yeah i think i'll go with the 3 pages approach, it seems much more realistic! especially since I have to write 4 of these essays!

i've learnt all of my topics but it's just so hard to remember :frown:
how do you remember the research studies because that's what i find the hardest? I'm cool with the description but its just remembering the researchers and what they did whether it supports or contadicts etc.

I'm aiming for a C anyway, so it's achievable :smile:
Reply 4
it's ok :smile: and for the research studies i just quickly flicked through my PY2 notes but not revising it just a quick read. and we don't need to know the researchers names, my teacher wrote to the board asking if it's needed and they said no, just need to make it clear if a study supports or weakens the evidence etc....

and you'll get it! :smile: i need an A* for uni so i'm soooooo screwed if this is a horrible exam :/ i hate the controversies topic, really don't understand :frown:

but we'll all be fine *fingers crossed*
Reply 5
I'm taking the same paper. For the controversies, there's 6 possible essays but only learn 5 of them, you get a choice of 2 so you can afford to not learn one.

Levels of consciousness is my least favourite, I hate it - I'm fairly confident on Circadian rhythms (exogenous zeitgebers and endogenous pacemakers), hypnosis and theories of sleep, but for all the others I haven't the foggiest. I'm also doing Memory (hate) and Abnormal psychology (my most confident :smile: )
Reply 6
i just looked at all the past papers and the January 2012 one and for crime they haven't yet asked profiling and for memory they haven't asked the multi store model or the alternatives for the multi store model and the other ones came up once or twice
Original post by 05kubann
i just looked at all the past papers and the January 2012 one and for crime they haven't yet asked profiling and for memory they haven't asked the multi store model or the alternatives for the multi store model and the other ones came up once or twice

Tell me about it. In awareness they havent asked theories of hypnosis either.

If this were my dream paper those would be the topics. However, PY4 seems to have a nasty habbit of always covering a few subjects and missing the others.

If I knew where to complain I would - after all, what is the point of constantly year on year ( six years for me now) teaching the whole spec if all they are going to ask about is three topics?

There seems to be a pattern in controversies too - they repeat the question before last in the next paper and add one new question.

Of course they may change this year - and thats the problem. You cant risk teaching / learning according to what seems to be there/ not be there.

I wish I could.
IF ( if) offender profiling does come up just let me give you a tip- do not forget to include geographical profiling. Its specifically named on the spec. It isnt in all the books. The reason I say this is because on the old spec back in 2006 this question was asked and a lot of students did top down and bottom up profiling and forgot geographical . It was in the examiners report.

I got my students to do all three but I was lacking in detail on geographical at that time.

Similarly - punishment and treatment ( came up last year - not expecting it for an outing this time) - zero tolerance. You must include it for marks and what made this a bit trickey is that you must relate it to the behaviourist operant conditioning theories. Again it was on the examiners report.
Reply 9
Revision tips for any of the topics
im doing, controversies, abnormal, forensics/crime and memory

thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Does anyone have any tips on how to remember the names of all the researchers for the supporting and contradictory evidence sections? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by SorayaA
Does anyone have any tips on how to remember the names of all the researchers for the supporting and contradictory evidence sections? :smile:

try bullet pointing them like with their name and the study/description and max of 2 key words to do with their study

like Topic - factor - Researcher - Key words
e.g. Juries - Attractivness - Castello - Attractive victims=guilty verdict

then you have the key words to kick start your memory about the study, thats what i do so hope that helps :smile: good luck!
Original post by SorayaA

You don't need to remember names of researchers.
Reply 13
Is anyone using the complete companion A2 revision guide specifically for the WJEC?

The essay style is a bit different to the way it has been suggested here and seems easier, I'm just worried it won't get very good marks, yet my teacher thinks as long as you add extra AO2 it should be fine.
Reply 14
Original post by katie182
try bullet pointing them like with their name and the study/description and max of 2 key words to do with their study

like Topic - factor - Researcher - Key words
e.g. Juries - Attractivness - Castello - Attractive victims=guilty verdict

then you have the key words to kick start your memory about the study, thats what i do so hope that helps :smile: good luck!

Thankyou,Good luck in the exam x
Reply 15
and you! :smile: x
Reply 16
Does anyone know what came up in jan 2012 for memory, abnormalities, adolescence and adulthood and controversies :smile: ?
Reply 17
Original post by Ihai
Does anyone know what came up in jan 2012 for memory, abnormalities, adolescence and adulthood and controversies :smile: ?

controversies - is psychology a science and gender bias
disorders of memory, and aetiologies of schizophrenia

thats all i know sorry :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks for the reply anyway :biggrin:. Useful to know those :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by madders94
You don't need to remember names of researchers.

are you sure? because my teacher said that we do need the names otherwise we lose marks for the detail :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending