The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sharpshooter
I'm a 5'8 male and I've heard rumours that the vast majority of women do not like to do someone of this height or smaller. Although only around 25%-33% of men are 6ft and above so most men are smaller than this. I've never really taken notice of this nor cared until recently reading on the internet that the majority of women would refuse to date someone around my height under almost any circumstances and I'm just curious how true this is??

Now I understand that taller men are deemed more desirable, and women above 5'8 may struggle to date a 5'8 guy, that's also understandable.

Would you date a 5'8 male?? Or is that a no no under any circumstances??

I was never necessarily insecure about my height, but these forums have made me. :s-smilie:

I've heard rumours about Bigfoot, doesn't make it true does it?

I'm 5'7 and from my point of view, it really doesn't matter. There may be a FEW who won't date you because of your height, but these are the vast minority. The less you focus on it the less of a problem it becomes
I'm a 5'8 male and I've heard rumours that the vast majority of women do not like to do someone of this height or smaller. Although only around 25%-33% of men are 6ft and above so most men are smaller than this. I've never really taken notice of this nor cared until recently reading on the internet that the majority of women would refuse to date someone around my height under almost any circumstances and I'm just curious how true this is??

Now I understand that taller men are deemed more desirable, and women above 5'8 may struggle to date a 5'8 guy, that's also understandable.

I was never necessarily insecure about my height, but these forums have made me. :s-smilie:

Don't let it affect you, If you feel like you are inferior you'll never get anywhere.
Reply 22
Won't make much of a difference if your face looks like a bottom...but seriously stop making a fuss over nothing.
i do not see why it would stop me :}}}}

i date 5'9 guy,despite me being much the taller at 6'4 :teeth:
Im only 5ft :biggrin:

So I would have no problem with your height since your a penis taller than me :P
I am confuss. If noone cares, then why do 80% of women surveyed ask for a 6ft+ guy then? :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by Aisha~~
I am confuss. If noone cares, then why do 80% of women surveyed ask for a 6ft+ guy then? :s-smilie:

What survey is that?
Reply 27
Original post by dgeorge
What survey is that?

I think this is from experience and talking to women. Also, the internet.
Original post by dgeorge
What survey is that?

Extract from this book.
Reply 29
Original post by Aisha~~

I'd love to date a supermodel, does that mean I won't date normal women?
Reply 30
Original post by Aisha~~
Extract from this book.

Could you please quote the actual survey, since obviously I'm not going to buy and read the entire book just to make a comment!

Also, interesting that some of the most recent comments include "Misleading" and " A failed first attempt at Evolutionary Psychology"
Reply 31

I'm 5 ft 2...You think you've got problems!?!

Having said that, I did date a girl that was easily 5 ft 10. It was a bit awkward and it didn't last but if you really like someone I don't think it's an issue.
I think the main problem from being short is confidence, because you're short (you aren't, you're pretty much exactly average, but anyway) you don't think girls will like you and therefore you feel less confident - in actual fact I suspect that most girls are more attracted to confidence than height, I could be wrong though :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by ct2k7
I think this is from experience and talking to women. Also, the internet.

A survey is quite different from experience. Again, as a male who is 5'7, I don't find my height (or lack of it) has held me back greatly in terms of getting attraction
Reply 33
Original post by dgeorge
A survey is quite different from experience. Again, as a male who is 5'7, I don't find my height (or lack of it) has held me back greatly in terms of getting attraction

5'7" isn't short. Anything below 5'5" is short, IMO.
Original post by dgeorge
Could you please quote the actual survey, since obviously I'm not going to buy and read the entire book just to make a comment!

Also, interesting that some of the most recent comments include "Misleading" and " A failed first attempt at Evolutionary Psychology"

Don't have the eBook. But in short, they collected personal ads sent out by women. 80% requested a man of 6ft+.

Some other cool stuff:

Idunnolol. Just makes no sense to me why women set arbitrary standards that are so easily bypassed.
Reply 35
Original post by ct2k7
5'7" isn't short. Anything below 5'5" is short, IMO.

I'm below the average male height, so can be considered to be. Also, I'm about 5'6 on a bad day lol
Reply 36
Original post by dgeorge
I'm below the average male height, so can be considered to be. Also, I'm about 5'6 on a bad day lol

I'm 5 foot 9 but I feel short all the time, I think the average nowadays is closer to 5 11.
My boyfriend is 5"7 and he is utterly gorgeous. So yeah. I am a shortie though :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Aisha~~
Don't have the eBook. But in short, they collected personal ads sent out by women. 80% requested a man of 6ft+.

Some other cool stuff:

Idunnolol. Just makes no sense to me why women set arbitrary standards that are so easily bypassed.

Being tall certainly is a plus in terms of attraction. However, there are many other factors, and someone who is 5'8 will not be greatly disadvantaged. Sure, most women would LIKE a tall man, but they are willing to trade off for other qualities, just like anything else
Reply 39
Original post by Ilikecake
I'm 5 foot 9 but I feel short all the time, I think the average nowadays is closer to 5 11.

No, average is around 5'9 for the UK

Latest

Trending

Trending