The Student Room Group

Trouble at University...please help!!!

Hi,

I'm in my final year of my degree, but I've been having a few problems for the last couple of years. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or had been in a similar situation?

Basically, last year (first time of sitting my 4th year) I was diagnosed with cancer, so while I was going through treatment, I missed exams and my project submission (the project is 50% of the 4th year). I was allowed to re-submit my project and resit all of my exams without penalty (due to submission of extenuating circumstances). Due to the cost of University and since I had been to the classes, I thought I'd sit my exams externally which my school (I go to Cardiff University) didn't mind.

The trouble is, this year rolls around and I've only managed to finish my project (60 credits) and one module (10 credits) which means I'm still short of 120 credits to complete the year. I had an operation in my first semester (catheter ablation operation) which meant that I had to stay in bed for a little over a week (and couldn't leave the house for 2 weeks) and the final semester just gone I haven't been able to sit any due to some other problems that seem to be plaguing my department. Me and some other staff are being harassed and I've had to get the police involved. He knew where my exams were and, since I was so nervous about going, I took too many calming tablets and made myself ill. I had to phone my 3rd year project supervisor to come and get me from the hotel room and he ended up giving me loads of water and contacting my school. He's going to write a statement.

I have extenuating circumstances (doctor's notes and such) but I'm worried that since this is the second time of me repeating my fourth year, I might just be awarded my BSc and that's something that I really don't want. Will the exam board do this do you think?
Reply 1
I'm no expert on the matter, but I think that, presuming you do have reasonable extenuating circumstances, the school will probably be fairly flexible. If you've managed to get 70 credits this year, you won't need to resit the whole year anyway.

Tbh, they won't penalize you for having cancer and if the mixture of the operations and this harraser have made your life difficult, I don't think anyone can blame you! The fact that your project supervisor has come to help you implies that there is a real support for your difficulties. I really think you should contact the school, point out that you've managed to finish some credits and try and finish it part time.
Reply 2
I had a similar situation and I've been awarded unclassified honours degree (aegrotat degree).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending