The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by ghogho
gd luck for both of us :smile: hopefully we will mange to finish everything :smile:

happy to hear that u did gd in yesterdays exam :smile:

YUP finally my laaaast exam in my laaaaast year in skool isnt great :biggrin:
wat about u ??

Yeah hopefully we will! :smile: same here, finally summer is so close lol! Good luck :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3521
Original post by i Pav i
Oh god, sorry to hear that it was so hard!

I got quite lucky in my whole Bio A-Level because I got 120/120 in Unit 1 ahaha, so it's just pulled my average up loads.

I need like 70+/120 UMS in this exam to get a B. Hoping I get that!

Oh thats good lol im just aiming as high as i can in this exam because i did the whole a level in one year, so i dont know what ive got in any exams apart from unit 1! So just incase, i need to do well in this one lol im sure you'll get 70+! good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3522
Original post by ghogho
well so far so gd........
:borat:
wat about u ?

mine too....but disappointed after doing unit 4.....hope unit 5's gonna be good...
Reply 3523
Hi Everyone. I know this is late to post notes; but these are short, but really really ah-mazing. Found it online.
Enjoy (:

http://www.shortstories.ch/bio.html

Click on Topic 7 & Topic 8
Here's a streamlined copy of the pre-release I got from college a couple of days ago. It outlines the main points of the article that relate to synoptic stuff on the course. Hope this helps!
1.Brown adipose tissue (BAT) is activated by cold temperatures. Could this help us with weight loss?
2. Obesity is on the increase in the UK because of excess white adipose tissue (WAT). This can lead to a number of health risks.
3. Body dissatisfaction had been linked to eating disorders.
4. fMRI has been used to study the brain response to media images of thin and fat people.
5. When we are self-reflective, the activity within the medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) is increased.
6. Brains of women respond to both images and the printed word, but men do not respond the same way.
7. In females with eating disorders mPFC and amygdala (brain area associated with emotional responses) activated.
8. mPFC responsible for gender differences in processing words and images, and susceptibility to eating disorders.
9. Restricted calorie diets (and increased stress) lead to more cortisol (adrenal gland hormone - its primary functions are to increase blood sugar; suppress the immune system; and aid in fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism) release in females, causing higher levels of CHD, diabetes and cancer.
10. Stress leads to over-compensation of calorie rich foods (in rodent studies)
11. BAT - these cells have lipid in the form of droplets, not in one large (as in other fat cells)
12. BAT has many mitochondria, and lots of UCP-1 (uncoupling protein that disrupts respiration at the electron transport system level, and so prevents the production of ATP, so energy is lost as heat instead of being stored.
13. BAT cells are activated the SNS and thyroid hormones.
14. The SNS is also activated by exposure to cold temperatures and ingestion of high caloric food.
15. So BAT regulates Core Body Temperature and body weight by increasing energy expenditure.
16. BAT is found in most small mammals, and newborns of larger animals. It was not thought to be present in adults of these animals.
17. Babies have a large surface area to volume ratio so lose hear more easily - they are also unable to shiver.
18. Lumberjacks have been found to retain BAT deposits in their neck region - the amount of BAT present relates to the length of time in cold conditions.
19. BAT has also now been found in adults (neck region), with lean people having more BAT present in - so does it help against obesity?
20. How can we stimulate BAT in us to help us lose weight - would it help if we were kept in cold conditions?
21. BAT can be stimulated by high levels of thyroid hormones and drugs, but there are unpleasant side-effects.
22. How can we increase the amount of BAT in us?
23. A protein called PRDM 16 makes WAT precursor cells become BAT cells instead of WAT cells.
24. Could PRDM 16 be used to transform stem cells into BAT cells, which can be transplanted to us?
25. Diet affects gene expression.
26. Disturbed expression of dopaminergenic genes has been identified in eating disorders.
Original post by Thatguywelike.
Here's a streamlined copy of the pre-release I got from college a couple of days ago. It outlines the main points of the article that relate to synoptic stuff on the course. Hope this helps!

I found this very helpful, thanks!

(+1 :h:)
I'm so confused! for the pre release what kinds of questions can come up? Some one told me the questions are hardly related to the pre release just help you to focus your synoptic revision so like for this one it'd be about fats and the heart etc. from AS. Is this completely wrong? :s-smilie:
Reply 3527
when you guys do past papers, are you doing the pre release aswell? also how many past papers are there?
Reply 3528
Original post by DarrenDM
Could you post the rest please? :wink:

Hope you found the first few useful. I've been busy with exams the last couple of days, but I'll have the rest posted by midday tomorrow :smile:
oh god, chemistry over, biology time...
Original post by Dixie
when you guys do past papers?

Usually 1-2 weeks before the exam, I fell a little behind this time, so I've only had one week... :<

Original post by Dixie
Are you doing the pre release aswell?

Yes, see here:

Original post by Thatguywelike.

Original post by Dixie
Also how many past papers are there?

Not very many, since this course has only been around since 2009, there are only 4 Unit 5 past paper. :/ Jun 2010-Jan 2012. They're all on the EdExcel website.
Reply 3531
Original post by d_94
Hi Everyone. I know this is late to post notes; but these are short, but really really ah-mazing. Found it online.
Enjoy (:

http://www.shortstories.ch/bio.html

Click on Topic 7 & Topic 8

thx alot :smile:

but i dnt advice u guys to read new notes now this might confuse u........
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3532
pple i got a problem!!!!!!
i cnt get myself in the studying mood i dnt know wat to do i just feel like i wanna watch tv and chat with my frnd or at least just sit and do NOTHING i knw there is no time for all of that but any tips how to get bk to studying mood ??????
Original post by ghogho
pple i got a problem!!!!!!
i cnt get myself in the studying mood i dnt know wat to do i just feel like i wanna watch tv and chat with my frnd or at least just sit and do NOTHING i knw there is no time for all of that but any tips how to get bk to studying mood ??????

picture results day and feeling awful wishing you put that extra bit of effort in to revision!
Original post by cheekymonkey_x
I'm so confused! for the pre release what kinds of questions can come up? Some one told me the questions are hardly related to the pre release just help you to focus your synoptic revision so like for this one it'd be about fats and the heart etc. from AS. Is this completely wrong? :s-smilie:

there is a thread about the pre release on here, i have collected all of the questions people have put up and started to answer them. If you want i could put some of the practice questions people have put up so far on this thread? It covers quite a few things =/
Reply 3535
Original post by moodychopin
picture results day and feeling awful wishing you put that extra bit of effort in to revision!

aaaaaaah u knw wat that is just a very very bad feeling
well ya i should pressurise myself two more days then enjoy the vacation

many thxs that kinna worked ;D
Reply 3536
What is the role of ATPase in the Sliding Filament Theory?
Original post by Chris--

It recombines ATP + Pi to make ATP which releases the myosin head from the binding site once it has completed one movement.
It then returns to it's original position and the process begins again.
Original post by Chris--

Ca2+ attaches to the troponin causing it to move
Tropomyosin on the actin in moved exposing the myosin binding sites
Myosin heads bind with the myosin binding sites forming cross bridges
ADP and Pi on the myosin head are released
Myosin changes shape moving the actin over the myosin
ATP binds to the myosin head causing it to detach
ATPase on the myosin head hydrolyses the ATP forming ADP and Pi
Hydrolysis causes the myosin head to return to its original position and the cycle starts again. This causes the sarcomere to shorten and the muscle contracts.

so i think basically it breaks the ATP into ADP and Pi which moves the myosin head back to where it was :smile:
hope that helped!
Reply 3539
hows the rev going on ?!
this is the last exam !!! lol
any ideas on what can come ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending