The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by ConnorB
You have the PQRS complex? electrocardiogram records the electrical activity of the heart, the heart muscle depolarises as it loses electrical activity when it contracts and repolarises when it relaxes.

The Electrocardiograph records changes by using electrodes placed on the chest :wink:

CONNOR you explained the ECG ! lol he asked hot to measure heart rate from it ! :tongue:
Original post by ConnorB
You seem to be forgetting that there are K+ ions aswell?!

Read this http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ap.html

It will help loads :smile:

That websites brilliant, I found this little animation on it - so helpful!

http://brainu.org/files/movies/action_potential_cartoon.swf

Also, does anyone have a copy of the January 2012 Unit 5 paper? I didn't sit it and can't get it off the edexcel website. Would be forever grateful if anyone could send me a copy!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3982
Original post by PhantomPhreek
That is seriously wrong, the ratio has nothing to do with the potential, it's the permeability of the membrane to the two different ions that determines the potential. The membrane is more permeable to K+ ions moving out than Na+ moving in, this determines the potential not the Sodium potassium pump.

GOOSHH it doesnt make sense.
hyperpolarisation is that its more negative inside right ??!?!?
so how is this corrected ??
Na/K pump pumps Na+ ions OUT and K+ ions in right ? but K+ ions again diffuse out due to permeability. so overall theres more positive out !? THIS ISNT HELPING AT ALL ! its making inside even more negative ??! BIOLOGY FAIL :tongue:
Reply 3983
Original post by sammy-lou

Also, does anyone have a copy of the January 2012 Unit 5 paper? I didn't sit it and can't get it off the edexcel website. Would be forever grateful if anyone could send me a copy!

lol i love it !!
the Na pump was so mean ! it threw the Na and K ions ! :tongue:
If you dont do chemistry its an absoloute mare to remember all the different chemicals. Calcium ions involved in neurotransmitter release, negative chloride ions involved in unexcitory synapses, sodium and pottasium involved in depolarisation. Am i right? :smile:

Ps thank you for the answers to my previous question
Reply 3985
Original post by rudizzy123
If you dont do chemistry its an absoloute mare to remember all the different chemicals. Calcium ions involved in neurotransmitter release, negative chloride ions involved in unexcitory synapses, sodium and pottasium involved in depolarisation. Am i right? :smile:

Ps thank you for the answers to my previous question

when does that happen ??!
i think im loosing my senses right b4 the exam :tongue:
Reply 3986
When a nerve fibre is depolarised, and you're describing it, so saying the 'Na+ ions flow rapidly into the axon' .. Would you say 'axon'? My notes change between 'cell' and 'axon' lol so unsure of which one to use :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 3987
Original post by 19941994
When a nerve fibre is depolarised, and you're describing it, so saying the 'Na+ ions flow rapidly into the axon' .. Would you say 'axon'? My notes change between 'cell' and 'axon' lol so unsure of which one to use :s

yup say axon ! even cell can be said because the entire thing is a nerve CELL !
so i think both are correct.
Reply 3989
guys can we revise muscles and heart and all of that stuff cuz i think that has the most chances of coming.
Reply 3990
Original post by iesians
yup say axon ! even cell can be said because the entire thing is a nerve CELL !
so i think both are correct.

Oh good thanks a lot :smile:

Original post by iesians
when does that happen ??!
i think im loosing my senses right b4 the exam :tongue:

Because inhibitory synapses are at a resting potential of -90mv, not -70mv. This happens due to neurotransmitters from inhibitory synapses opening negative chloride channels and postive potassium channels in the postsynaptic membrane. So K flows out and Cl flows in, the result is a -90mv resting potenital making it harder for the post-synaptic membrane to depolarise :smile:
Reply 3992
Original post by rudizzy123
Because inhibitory synapses are at a resting potential of -90mv, not -70mv. This happens due to neurotransmitters from inhibitory synapses opening negative chloride channels and postive potassium channels in the postsynaptic membrane. So K flows out and Cl flows in, the result is a -90mv resting potenital making it harder for the post-synaptic membrane to depolarise :smile:

oh you were talkin about inhibitory !
now i get it ! :tongue:
Reply 3993
I am going to practically revise this whole unit in 1 and a half days! (half yesterday).

Can someone teach me respiration please?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3994
Original post by sammy-lou

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1971182&page=2&p=37144359#post37144359 This worked for me :smile:
Reply 3996
guys mark my word(s) :tongue:
visual cortex thingy will NOT come !
All the stuff on action potentials is just SO long!
Reply 3998
Can somebody help me with GM? I seriously hate this topic! :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3999
is it just me or jan 2012 was really difficult !!! i mean i couldnt do the question on genetic disorderd and frelative one !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending