The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
im at a payphone !!.............
*feeling random after all studying*
Reply 4181
Original post by nadzzdan
My bet on the topics covered are HEART, ACTION POTENTIALS and SYNAPSES, GMO's and SPIROMETER

tell me 5 advantages and disadvantages of using GMO's ? (10 marks lol)
Original post by BastardOranges
But CAT scans are able to produce 3-D images, they just take lots of 2-D 'slices', which can are used to produce the 3-D image.

It'd be better to compare them on the basis that CAT scans are able to investigate structure, whereas PET investigates function (using a radioactive tracer).

Ah, okay, thanks :h:
Original post by iesians
find a perosn to do experiment on ! lol
put mouthpeice in his mouth and advise him to breathe calmly for a secong just throguh the mouthpirce to acclimatise him to breathing in this situation
-apply a noseclip on him
-fill up the chamber with oxygen
-start the rotating drum on which spirometer trace will be amde.
-calibrate the spirometer trace to read off volume values correctly.
-attach the mouthpeice hose to the chamber and advise the volunteer to breathe in and out calmly for about a minute.
-then advise him to exhale as deeply as possible followed by max inhalation.
-all of this breathing activitiy will be recorded on the trace.
once done, detach the mouthpiese and read off tidal volume and vital capacity form the spirometer trace.

OH YEAH ! also use a soda lime box to remove CO2 from exhaled air. if you do this youll see a gradula decline in the trace!! gradient of this decline will give you the rate of oxygen uptake !

Thank you! :h:

Original post by iesians
im at a payphone !!.............
*feeling random after all studying*

...trying to call home, all of my change I spent on you :rolleyes:

[LIST]
Hi guys,

I really need help regarding my grades.
For both courseworks I got A's.
Unit 1: mid C
Unit 2: high C
Unit 4: C
Unit 5:?

What do you reckon I'd need in tomorrows exam to get a D or a C overal. This is a very tricky exam and I really don't have high hopes for it. Please help!
Reply 4185
I reckon, Muscle contraction & Respiration, Heart Exercise & Homoeostasis, with Drugs & Action potentials.
you should only need a D or an E to get a C or a D because of the C's and A's in coursework and exams :smile:
Reply 4187
Original post by iesians
tell me 5 advantages and disadvantages of using GMO's ? (10 marks lol)

Advantages
-Enables humans to minimise time for crops produced. GMPs which usually grow in a year grow within a couple of months.
-Crops have a higher yield and have more nutrients.
-it can be a cheaper way of pharming (drug production) by insertion of desired genes into plasmids of bacteria.
-allows scientists too experiment with genetic engineering and production of artificial human parts. Like the picture of a mouse and a human ear (look that up).
-medicine can be given in the form of a paste than tablets by grinding the plant with the drug gene and using it as medicine.

Disadvantages
-Some say its like playing God.
-Unethical to use animals for our benefit because it causes pain and distress.
-genetically modified crop may seem a good idea now but there might be hidden consequences.
-plants and fruits that are resisitant to some types of antibiotics, when eaten, may pass this gene on to bacteria in the body creating 'superbugs'.
-plants that may accidently cross breed with other plants may mean that we have drugs in the plants which we may not know of so they may lead to some harmful side effects.
-Genetically modified animals are only 1% successful so a lot embryos are destroyed and this may be seen as murder. :biggrin:

Oooops i gave you 6 never mind... lol (i am biased though)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EmmaSaysRarr
you should only need a D or an E to get a C or a D because of the C's and A's in coursework and exams :smile:

Ahh thats made me feel a whole lot better, thank you :smile:
Reply 4189
Elements of the spirometer and habituation came in june '11 paper...
I'd say MEDULLA functions, Keyhole surgery/Prostheses, Performance enhancing drugs, Action potential, Refractory period, Myelinated neurones, Brain scans, HGP .. just a guess lol lookin at past papers, someone mentioned earlier a link to olympics, it is likely and in some respects, a bit ridiculous if they dont..
Reply 4190
Original post by user3456
Elements of the spirometer and habituation came in june '11 paper...
I'd say MEDULLA functions, Keyhole surgery/Prostheses, Performance enhancing drugs, Action potential, Refractory period, Myelinated neurones, Brain scans, HGP .. just a guess lol lookin at past papers, someone mentioned earlier a link to olympics, it is likely and in some respects, a bit ridiculous if they dont..

Yeah performance enhancing drugs will be a good link to make with olympics
What are peoples views on the likelihood of phototropisms/phytochromes (crap) coming up???
Reply 4192
What are GMOs? :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Original post by 19941994
What are GMOs? :s

GMOs are genetically modified organisms. It's in section 5, page 94 if you're using the CGP book.
Original post by hannah_27
What are peoples views on the likelihood of phototropisms/phytochromes (crap) coming up???

Haha that 'crap' made me lol! phytochromes wont come up
Reply 4195
Original post by rudizzy123
Haha that 'crap' made me lol! phytochromes wont come up

Your certainty has made me so happy haha i hate phytochromes! Is it safe to leave it out of revision?

Reply 4196
Also guys no core prac came up in bio4, could this mean 2 in bio5? or none in bio5 too?
Reply 4197
Original post by BastardOranges
GMOs are genetically modified organisms. It's in section 5, page 94 if you're using the CGP book.

Ohh ok lol thought it was something else i hadnt done lol :O thanks

Reply 4198
Last exam, LEEEAVE IT YEAH

Gonna flop this for sure; thought I had it all under control but when I did the past papers i realized its a whole different story... oh well, here's to hoping my coursework will help me pull through for the overall grade
Original post by 19941994
Your certainty has made me so happy haha i hate phytochromes! Is it safe to leave it out of revision?

Don't take my word for it because you never know. If you haven't revised and have got limited time then i'd reccomend leaving it out.

I think I know everything in syllabus now excluding past units, what will trip me up in this exam as usual is how science works, ethics, maths questions, poor interpretation and running out of time (as usual) :frown:

On an additional note, dont people find it odd when people leave exams early?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending