The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone

I've only just started to apply for accomodation (I know its late and past the 31st may deadline :tongue:)

anyway in my application, I've got to the part where I choose my room preferences (part 13 of the application form), is something wrong because for ''location'', theres only ''UCL Student Houses'' in the drop-down menu. And also I'm given 5 preferences to fill in, but because I'm only given 4 possible choices, I can only fill in 4 of them.

also WTF with them asking for a photo? :lolwut:, I'm not even sure I'll meet my offer and go there and they're already asking for photos
(edited 11 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by internet tough guy
Hey everyone

I've only just started to apply for accomodation (I know its late and past the 31st may deadline :tongue:)

anyway in my application, I've got to the part where I choose my room preferences (part 13 of the application form), is something wrong because for ''location'', theres only ''UCL Student Houses'' in the drop-down menu. And also I'm given 5 preferences to fill in, but because I'm only given 4 possible choices, I can only fill in 4 of them.

also WTF with them asking for a photo? :lolwut:, I'm not even sure I'll meet my offer and go there and they're already asking for photos

Well perhaps because your application is so disastrously late, you're no longer elidgable to apply for Intercollegiate houses?

That also might affect the number of preferences you get to choose from.

With regards to the photo, it's so they can confirm your identity when you move in should you meet your offer, without faffing about with contacting every single student asking for a photo.
Original post by yakuzakitty
Well perhaps because your application is so disastrously late, you're no longer elidgable to apply for Intercollegiate houses?

That also might affect the number of preferences you get to choose from.

With regards to the photo, it's so they can confirm your identity when you move in should you meet your offer, without faffing about with contacting every single student asking for a photo.

Oh I see. So I'm just missing out on 'Intercollegiate houses' then, is that the only other choice apart fom 'UCL student houses' thats supposed to be on the drop-down menu?

btw, the UCL student houses are the 'main' accomodation, right? I've always thought the intercollegiate houses were on the fringe of things in terms of accomodation here, as they're owned by UoL rather than UCL, and they're shared with other london unis.
Original post by eduleal
Hi all,

I applied for accommodation before the deadline.

When should we expect hearing back with an offer?
I´m an overeseas postgraduate student, so I´m told it´s almost guaranteed for me...

Anyone heard back yet?

Thanks!

Im an Undergraduate overseas student and im there with you. I still have not heard anything from them yet even though i applied before the deadline. I assume we'll hear from them sometime soon :smile:
Oh I see. So I'm just missing out on 'Intercollegiate houses' then, is that the only other choice apart fom 'UCL student houses' thats supposed to be on the drop-down menu?

I don't remember the exact options, but it sounds to me that's what's happened here.

btw, the UCL student houses are the 'main' accomodation, right? I've always thought the intercollegiate houses were on the fringe of things in terms of accomodation here, as they're owned by UoL rather than UCL, and they're shared with other london unis.

Um I guess so. Some people may prefer the intercollegiate houses though :smile:
Reply 6845
Anyone else an international student with UCL as insurance wondering what the hell they're gonna do about accommodation if they miss their firm offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Any more postgrads hoping to find accommodation? I am going to be studying MSc Global Health and Development - anyone doing a similar course, would love to hear from you! :smile:
I've insured UCL (unconditional) and firmed Imperial (conditional - submit A-Level certificates). But thanks to Imperial's ridiculously high tuition fee, I think I will turn them down. But till now UCL haven't sent me any info about accomodation application. Does it mean that i'm not allowed to apply for accomodation by default? Is their any private halls near UCL that's reasonable (<180 /week for single room)
Reply 6848
Original post by Johnson Ruan
I've insured UCL (unconditional) and firmed Imperial (conditional - submit A-Level certificates). But thanks to Imperial's ridiculously high tuition fee, I think I will turn them down. But till now UCL haven't sent me any info about accomodation application. Does it mean that i'm not allowed to apply for accomodation by default? Is their any private halls near UCL that's reasonable (<180 /week for single room)

you do it yourself. they don't send you anything.

you've missed the deadline.

private halls, I don't know the prices. Check Unite, Opal, Nido etc. They all do private halls, some walking distance, some further.
Original post by PJ991
you do it yourself. they don't send you anything.

you've missed the deadline.

private halls, I don't know the prices. Check Unite, Opal, Nido etc. They all do private halls, some walking distance, some further.

Well I thought so at first but then the registration site asked for "UCL Student Number", which I do not know. I sent them an email but they didn't reply >_<.
Original post by yakuzakitty
I'm pretty sure that people who hold an unconditional offer hear before the A Level results come out. Has your offer become unconditional?

Yeah I have an unconditional offer, I hear back early August.
Original post by nathgooner
Yeah I have an unconditional offer, I hear back early August.

Same here, hope they will keep their promise.

PS: Anyone for Ramsay Hall as first choice? :smile:
Hey everyone :smile:

I've just got an offer for Canterbury Hall...
I've just browsed through a few pages of this spread (not all 347!) and from what I gather Canterbury is the antisocial hall. Is this true ?!!
I basically chose Canterbury because of internet (and catering), on all the other Hall's pages it was written "limited internet only for studying" - but if it's a hall that sucks I'm kinda disappointed :frown:
Plus, I need an ensuite (for medical reasons) and my offer is for 280 pounds a week, reading your guys posts, I get that this is super expensive (it did seem very steep but I didn't really know the real average price)

It says I can 'reject offer', if I do so, will I be sure to get another good offer ?! Or would this be foolish, should I just accept ?
My dad's being miser and won't cover what my student loan doesn't so I've got to find solutions on my own like a big girl :smile:
Original post by blacklemon
Hey everyone :smile:

I've just got an offer for Canterbury Hall...
I've just browsed through a few pages of this spread (not all 347!) and from what I gather Canterbury is the antisocial hall. Is this true ?!!
I basically chose Canterbury because of internet (and catering), on all the other Hall's pages it was written "limited internet only for studying" - but if it's a hall that sucks I'm kinda disappointed :frown:
Plus, I need an ensuite (for medical reasons) and my offer is for 280 pounds a week, reading your guys posts, I get that this is super expensive (it did seem very steep but I didn't really know the real average price)

It says I can 'reject offer', if I do so, will I be sure to get another good offer ?! Or would this be foolish, should I just accept ?
My dad's being miser and won't cover what my student loan doesn't so I've got to find solutions on my own like a big girl :smile:

There's not such thing as an "antisocial hall". It depends entirely upon the mix of people that are in there and what they like to do etc. It makes no sense to say that a building makes the group of people in there unsociable.

Internet is available in all halls, and there I doubt they actually censor or check what you go on - so long as you don't do something stupid like illegally downloading material or uploading copyrighted stuff for sharing etc. But even then, it would have to be a huge amount for them to flag you up as hogging the bandwith.

£280 is incredibly steep! What did you state was your maximum weekly budget for halls on the accommodation application form? If it is above that, ring up UCL residences and say that its way too high and you do desperately need an ensuite due to medical reasons (proof of which I assume they have on record) and ask them to reallocate you a more affordable hall with ensuite.

Most UCL halls are in the £100-150 price region, though Ramsay (catered) was £170/week this year and I think Ifor Evans was £150/week (the other catered one). Intercollegiate halls tend to be more expensive, but I think they provide more services.

You can't guarantee another offer from UCL if you reject it. And it depends on what you define 'good' to be for how you deem your subsequent offer. Definitely get in touch with UCL Residences on the phone and sort things out asap.
Original post by shake_it
Same here, hope they will keep their promise.

PS: Anyone for Ramsay Hall as first choice? :smile:

I'm going for Ian baker, which is in Ramsay :smile:
Original post by Johnson Ruan

I thought both Imperial and UCL charged £9k per year for tuition...?
Hi,

I'm an overseas student, and i received my offer for MSc from UCL in the 1st week of July. I guess i'm past the deadline to apply for accommodation.
Can anyone help me out with suggestions of which places are good to stay at (preferably in twin sharing) for international students and how to go about applying for accommodation now??

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by vanilla_sunrise
Any more postgrads hoping to find accommodation? I am going to be studying MSc Global Health and Development - anyone doing a similar course, would love to hear from you! :smile:

Hi,

I'm an international student, going for my MSc in Genetics of human diseases...I'm searching for accommodation too. :smile:
What are the options that you are looking for??
Reply 6858
Hi, I'm Alex. I'm about to start an undergraduate degree in Archaeology and Anthropology at UCL in September. I'm very excited about it, but I did come up with a slight issue in that I did not realize that I had to apply for Halls by the 31st May. I know, ****ing idiot. I set this up so that maybe I could get some help in finding a place to live for the next year while I am studying, or maybe find some other people who want to set up a flatsharing scheme within good reach of the bloomsbury area.
Cheers
Original post by phoenix08
Hi,

I'm an overseas student, and i received my offer for MSc from UCL in the 1st week of July. I guess i'm past the deadline to apply for accommodation.
Can anyone help me out with suggestions of which places are good to stay at (preferably in twin sharing) for international students and how to go about applying for accommodation now??

Thanks! :smile:

As you're an international student, I'd still apply for accommodation with UCL as there's a decent chance you'll get an offer. Particularly as you want to share a room (generally people don't really like the idea of sharing with a stranger for a year!)

If, however, you don't receive an offer, you can always stay in private halls like Unite, iQ, etc. They won't be shared, and they're perhaps more expensive and not necessarily as nearby (though some are), but really getting a place to live is the most important thing at this point.

Hope that's helped!

Latest

Trending

Trending