The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find the 3 day rule nothing short of ANNOYING

Semi rant. But I was talking to this guy the other day and he ended up saying that he really liked me (I like him a fair amount). Sadly at that moment in time, I had to be somewhere and so had to leave.

I left him with my number and, gosh, it's just so irritating that he didn't just call that evening.

So yeah... does anyone else find the 3 day rule annoying? How closely do you follow it?

I used to use it a lot, but now that someone has used it on me... gawd. It's so silly...

Anon because I don't want people/him knowing what I think about this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think all those dating "rules" are really silly. It's like you have to pretend to not care at all, and play some stupid game instead.

If communication is key in a relationship, why do we have to dance around liking someone or not liking someone and what's wrong with actually wanting to see someone again to see if we're compatible! Okay, you have people who immediately start texting twenty times a day which is too full on, but there's nothing wrong with a text or call to see if the other person wants to meet up.

Thank goodness I have a boyfriend, because I'd be really lost if it was back to dating for me.

That said, this guy you were talking with might not be using the three day rule - he might be busy with stuff or not sure how to approach you. Guys do get insecure, too. How long have you known him for? Was this the first time you met him? He might just not want to come across as creepy or something.
Reply 2
Original post by Kittiara
I think all those dating "rules" are really silly. It's like you have to pretend to not care at all, and play some stupid game instead.

If communication is key in a relationship, why do we have to dance around liking someone or not liking someone and what's wrong with actually wanting to see someone again to see if we're compatible! Okay, you have people who immediately start texting twenty times a day which is too full on, but there's nothing wrong with a text or call to see if the other person wants to meet up.

Thank goodness I have a boyfriend, because I'd be really lost if it was back to dating for me.

That said, this guy you were talking with might not be using the three day rule - he might be busy with stuff or not sure how to approach you. Guys do get insecure, too. How long have you known him for? Was this the first time you met him? He might just not want to come across as creepy or something.

This is OP here :smile:

I've known of him for about a year, but only got to know him well recently. But I dunno... I told him that I liked him too? (and don't have his number - otherwise I would call him).

Ehh... again, it's just so frustrating to know that we both like each other and both know that we like each other - yet he decides to follow a silly dating rule. Though, you're right. He might actually have something to do. :smile:
Protip: We can see you're the OP.
Reply 4
Yeah, I text straight away. I used to 3 day it, but a girl forgot who I was lol. Awkward.
Never heard of that rule.. sounds silly to me
Na. If a guy messaged me straight away it'd annoy me more than the 3 day thing.
On Monday my friend got me talking to this guy in Tesco's, I gave him my number and I still don't have a text. I could actually have one, but my phone has been off for a day now and so I wouldn't even know.

I don't expect them to text me straight away.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Semi rant. But I was talking to this guy the other day and he ended up saying that he really liked me (I like him a fair amount). Sadly at that moment in time, I had to be somewhere and so had to leave.

I left him with my number and, gosh, it's just so irritating that he didn't just call that evening.

So yeah... does anyone else find the 3 day rule annoying? How closely do you follow it?

I used to use it a lot, but now that someone has used it on me... gawd. It's so silly...

So call him? Use some inititative?
Reply 8
I think it's bull**** all this stuff about playing "the game"/"games" while dating is quite unproductive in my eyes.

As Kittiara said communication is the key to relationships - delaying it for 3 days certainly doesn't help.
I hate it when you meet someone new. You like them and they like you but instead of saying that it takes a week to have a conversation...

"I'll reply at 3.15 but it'll text it now and save it in my draft"

I'm guilty for that!
Reply 10
Gah. Thank goodness it's not just me!

I never realized just how irritating it was... I'm never doing it again. And also guilty of 'well I'll write it now, but send it later so as not to seem like a stalker'...

I would call him, but I was genuinely in a hurry last time I saw him and didn't have time to take his number :s
Reply 11
Original post by jcsarchitect
I hate it when you meet someone new. You like them and they like you but instead of saying that it takes a week to have a conversation...

"I'll reply at 3.15 but it'll text it now and save it in my draft"

I'm guilty for that!

Hahaha. "She didn't reply for 10 minutes this time, so I'll leave it 15 minutes to reply to this."
I hate rules like this - if you want to talk to someone then talk to them, it's alright to let them know you like them.
Reply 13
It works, though... on me anyway. I feel like when there are no games, it's boring.

Maybe he's busy, maybe he doesn't want things to move too fast, maybe he's not a massive fan of calling/texting, maybe he feels he likes you more, maybe he prefers the ball being in his court, who knows!
Reply 14
This is OP here :smile:

I've known of him for about a year, but only got to know him well recently. But I dunno... I told him that I liked him too? (and don't have his number - otherwise I would call him).

Ehh... again, it's just so frustrating to know that we both like each other and both know that we like each other - yet he decides to follow a silly dating rule. Though, you're right. He might actually have something to do. :smile:

While you also decide to follow your own silly dating rule of not getting his number as well so you can call HIM
I think it's borne from insecurity. Not wanting to seem clingy or whatever. Don't really follow it. Nor do I do the whole "where'd you want to go for our date?" "oh I dunno, whatever you want to do!" ****. Gets too tiring, too subversive for my liking.

I'm fairly straight to the point :h:
Reply 16
Yes it's dumb. There's nothing wrong with being straightforward about the fact you like someone. It's not a crime. If someone told me I was being clingy for calling them not long after a date, I'd tell them to get their head sorted.

He could just not be into you? :P Not wanting to sound harsh but if a guy really liked you that much, he wouldn't be arsed about these stupid games and just give you a text or call either on the same day or the day after.
Reply 18
Original post by AndrewWong92
He could just not be into you? :P Not wanting to sound harsh but if a guy really liked you that much, he wouldn't be arsed about these stupid games and just give you a text or call either on the same day or the day after.

Yeah... I was trying to avoid thinking about that possibility :frown:

He called though. So it's all ok.
Original post by AndrewWong92

This very much sums up my stance in dating. Taking all day to reply texts or any kind of "game" playing just turns me off quicker than anything else. I just assume he's not that interested and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending