The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Sato
Hey, are you using the core2000 deck? If so, is there many kanji in the sentences which you haven't seen yet? I think you're a little ahead of me in terms of progress so far, i'm around frame 500 on RTK atm, hopefully want to get it out of the way by the end of August though.

Core2k? Aw hell naw..

Seriously, make the deck yourself from stuff YOU learn, stuff YOU read. It will be more personal and follow along your path of learning instead of someone else's. Good beginner sentences can be found in the Genki books.

I've timed it to be done with RtK by the 8th or 9th of September if all goes according to plan. What I do is dividing the lessons into "sessions" of 10-15 (up to 19 in rare cases), and I would prough through two such sessions a day. This means I will be introduced to 20-35 kanji a day, thus I wouldn't be overwhelmed by a high number of reviews and relearning if I go throgh a particularly difficult set of kanji. I also do the reviews in the morning before adding new kanji. There are usually 80-100 kanji reviews a day. I often fail relatively young cards though, but if they make it through the second review, there's a 80-90% chance they'll make it through the next few reviews too.

Sorry if my English is a bit off here and there... it's not my first language, and the time's 2 o'clock and I should've been in bed by now. :colondollar:
Original post by stifa
I never do those. I just study the written material thoroughly and focus on the grammar, then I add sentences with new stuff into the Anki SRS software to make it stick. (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.)

So far, it's been working wonders...

Konnichia Stifa-san, Genki? Kyou no tenki wa ii ne :biggrin:
Yeah I use to have Anki but I hate the flash card method, its boring and I'd only use it to learn hirgana and katakana, not any words or anything.

I like having physical books because they're legal (:colone:) plus I can write in pencil in them to help me read some parts and they are structured and build upon what you know.The sad side about this is that I'm now very shy at speaking to people but I hope when I go to University I'll join a language class because learning with others rocks.

On another note, watching Japanese programs that teach you English is good and I really recommend this show to anyone Beginner or Intermediate:
Let's Learn Japanese Basic:

Its from the 80s and really cheesy at times, but its been so helpful to me as visualizations and demonstrations really help as the people speak at a normal rate and sometimes slowly so you can understand!

Original post by stifa

Seriously, make the deck yourself from stuff YOU learn, stuff YOU read. It will be more personal and follow along your path of learning instead of someone else's.

I agree. Don't overload yourself with pointless things and concentrate on your foundations and then when you feel confident build up. This is probably why I didn't learn insults in Japanese...:biggrin:

Original post by stifa

I'm playing a few n64 games in Japanese, but it is hard to find any with furigana; both n64 zeldas are completely devoid of furigana, and they've got some difficult kanji in there, like 樹...

Ooh Interesting method, have you played Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)? I have Rizumu Tengoku (Rhythm Heaven/Paradise) GBA which I could use to improve my reading but since Rhythm has no language I don't bother

Carry on with your learning and don't give up!
Ganbette ne!:gthumb:
Reply 1982
Original post by Scootaloo
Konnichia Stifa-san, Genki? Kyou no tenki wa ii ne :biggrin:
Yeah I use to have Anki but I hate the flash card method, its boring and I'd only use it to learn hirgana and katakana, not any words or anything.

I like having physical books because they're legal (:colone:) plus I can write in pencil in them to help me read some parts and they are structured and build upon what you know.The sad side about this is that I'm now very shy at speaking to people but I hope when I go to University I'll join a language class because learning with others rocks.

On another note, watching Japanese programs that teach you English is good and I really recommend this show to anyone Beginner or Intermediate:
Let's Learn Japanese Basic:

Its from the 80s and really cheesy at times, but its been so helpful to me as visualizations and demonstrations really help as the people speak at a normal rate and sometimes slowly so you can understand!

I agree. Don't overload yourself with pointless things and concentrate on your foundations and then when you feel confident build up. This is probably why I didn't learn insults in Japanese...:biggrin:

Ooh Interesting method, have you played Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)? I have Rizumu Tengoku (Rhythm Heaven/Paradise) GBA which I could use to improve my reading but since Rhythm has no language I don't bother

Carry on with your learning and don't give up!
Ganbette ne!:gthumb:

ありがとう!
元気です。Scootalooさんは?

I do definietly not have a 馬鹿野郎-card... oh no, not at all... :colondollar:

If you're looking for a less cheesy thingy like that, Japan Foundations newer series, Erin's challenge (https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/) might be less painful to watch. And Animal Crossing is not my kind of game, really.

I notice that you're writing in ローマ字. Do you have trouble using the IME to input ひらがな?
Got Japanese on rosetta stone :biggrin:
Original post by stifa
ありがとう!
元気です。Scootalooさんは?

I do definietly not have a 馬鹿野郎-card... oh no, not at all... :colondollar:

If you're looking for a less cheesy thingy like that, Japan Foundations newer series, Erin's challenge (https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/) might be less painful to watch. And Animal Crossing is not my kind of game, really.

I notice that you're writing in ローマ字. Do you have trouble using the IME to input ひらがな?

Mo genki, arigatou. :biggrin: Also 馬鹿野郎 translates to Idiot on Google Translate hahaha, did you mean business card or something else? :biggrin:

I've seen Erin's challenge and I don't like it because Erin and her weird floaty friends speak (fast) and they don't provide any translation as to what they're saying. I can only vaguely understand their genki kawaii genki babble because I've been learning for several years.

Yeah I'm writing in Romanji because, one I understand not everyone finds it easy to read what I'm saying Kana (plus since you're a beginner I assume that it would be difficult for you to understand me...) and two its a really bad habit of mine as I'm only comfortable with romanji now.But I do have Japanese IME installed on my own laptop:

この文はにほんごです. えいご じゃない。

Plus you can write:
はじめまして
without being censored for writing what TSR thinks is the English verison of くそ (kuso...poo...sh--) :ahee:

Original post by blueray
Got Japanese on rosetta stone :biggrin:

Konnichiwa BlueRay-San, Genki?

Is Rosetta Stone really worth all that money? I'm a bit wary of purchasing it many because of the price and my beliefs that I can learn better cheaper ways...
Mo genki, arigatou. :biggrin: Also 馬鹿野郎 translates to Idiot on Google Translate hahaha, did you mean business card or something else? :biggrin:

I've seen Erin's challenge and I don't like it because Erin and her weird floaty friends speak (fast) and they don't provide any translation as to what they're saying. I can only vaguely understand their genki kawaii genki babble because I've been learning for several years.

Yeah I'm writing in Romanji because, one I understand not everyone finds it easy to read what I'm saying Kana (plus since you're a beginner I assume that it would be difficult for you to understand me...) and two its a really bad habit of mine as I'm only comfortable with romanji now.But I do have Japanese IME installed on my own laptop:

この文はにほんごです. えいご じゃない。

Plus you can write:
はじめまして
without being censored for writing what TSR thinks is the English verison of くそ (kuso...poo...sh--) :ahee:

Konnichiwa BlueRay-San, Genki?

Is Rosetta Stone really worth all that money? I'm a bit wary of purchasing it many because of the price and my beliefs that I can learn better cheaper ways...

Haha :biggrin: Just torrent it then. Learning a language shouldn't be restricted only for the affluent.
Reply 1986

この文はにほんごです. えいご じゃない。

Plus you can write:
はじめまして
because of the price and my beliefs that I can learn better cheaper ways...

As in card, I meant Anki flashcard. Also, I always type out the anki sentences in native script; if there are kanji for the word, the word will be written in kanji. Some people seems to defend ローマ字 too much. I suggested that the Japanese course at my previous school (at which I didn't really learn anything but お元気ですか。and 私は買い物が好きです。) should use hiragana more, but a classmate got all defensive and asked how it would be if we didn't learn the numeral system. There is nothing to learn about ローマ字 anyway; it's 23 or so roman characters that most of us know well to begin with...

To be honest, learning the word with the kanji is easier, because then I will immediately associate the block of squiggles with the words instead of "atsui" which could be 厚い、暑い or 熱い.... Also, the kana+kanji combination looks so cool :ahee:

Yeah, and 馬鹿野郎 is ばかやろう.

Edit: and they do provide translation of their speaking. Just check the "English" checkbox beneath the video. I didn't really like it either, but it seemed less cheesy than the stuff you posted. I usually listen to FM Tachikawa, though I don't really understand squat of what they're saying, but it helps me find out when to not voice vowels and so on. I like the longer texts in the Genki books though, because they tend to use the vocab learned during the grammar part of the chapter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by blueray
Haha :biggrin: Just torrent it then. Learning a language shouldn't be restricted only for the affluent.

Agreed but profit begs to differ. Also my days of sailing the high seas of the internet are over plus I don't know how to torrent properly and currently have no time to learn.

Have you learnt Japanese quickly like it promises?

Original post by stifa
As in card, I meant Anki flashcard. Also, I always type out the anki sentences in native script; if there are kanji for the word, the word will be written in kanji. Some people seems to defend ローマ字 too much. I suggested that the Japanese course at my previous school (at which I didn't really learn anything but お元気ですか。and 私は買い物が好きです。) should use hiragana more, but a classmate got all defensive and asked how it would be if we didn't learn the numeral system. There is nothing to learn about ローマ字 anyway; it's 23 or so roman characters that most of us know well to begin with...

To be honest, learning the word with the kanji is easier, because then I will immediately associate the block of squiggles with the words instead of "atsui" which could be 厚い、暑い or 熱い.... Also, the kana+kanji combination looks so cool :ahee:

Yeah, and 馬鹿野郎 is ばかやろう.

Edit: and they do provide translation of their speaking. Just check the "English" checkbox beneath the video. I didn't really like it either, but it seemed less cheesy than the stuff you posted. I usually listen to FM Tachikawa, though I don't really understand squat of what they're saying, but it helps me find out when to not voice vowels and so on. I like the longer texts in the Genki books though, because they tend to use the vocab learned during the grammar part of the chapter.

Depending on romanji is a bad habit because majority of the Japanese I come across is in kana and kanji, only romanji I see is when I learn. Since you're a beginner I really recommend you have your crutch on Kana and not Romanji, it would be so helpful cause whenever you read something you don't have to transcribe it by writing romanji above it like I do. Hahaha Defensive...

Kanji I've always found a stuggle and if their is no furigana, I'm a fish on land. I've got several Kanji Books and know some basics like Woman, Man, the numbers, child, etc... Thats really great you learn Kanji and hirigana with ease.

OH, SO THEY DO HAVE ENGLISH!! This was because I was watching the videos on youtube and not the site itself. Plus I like 80s cheese, the people on it are funny and it's taught me:
池のまえねこがいます!!(point out where things are)
辞書をみてもいいですか (ask if its okay to do something)
まいあさ彼がコーヒーを のみます、でもなにもを食べません。(describing people's day to day doings)
湯便局はどこですか(asking where something is)
and so on.

I have tried emerging myself in the language by watching NHK (when we had it) and listening to Japanese songs(Kumi Koda好きなかしゅよ!), but when the hell am I going to need:
あたしFISH BOWLのなか!自分にNo Controool!:elefant: 
わからない、でも日本語のうたが面白いですよ。Better than English ones.

Ignore the diamonds, they haven't missed out much
Reply 1988
The way I learn kanji reading is basically learning the kanji itself through the RtK method, and I learn the reading as a go along basically. For instance 人:

= HITO ひと
七人 = nanaNIN ニン
一人 = hitoRI
日本人 = nihonJIN ジン
and so on. I know there is another one for 人, but I haven't encountered it yet.
I have been through 906 kanji in RtK, but I don't know the reading on too many of them.

Kanji learning is by no means easy, but I feel that this is the easiest, and most fun, way of learning to read kanji.

でも、 漢字 難しい です・・・・・・
(I put spaces between the words to avoid the diamonds.)

When you know the kanji for woman, you can just guess what this adjective means: 姦しい :tongue: (it means "noisy")

Also, do you have Furigana Injector installed on your browser? It add pretty accurate furigana to the websites your browsing if there are kanji in them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1989
I suggest Firefox users have a look at the Rikaichan add-on. It adds a popup with the definition/translation of the word (single kanji or compound and hiragana/katakana) you hover your mouse on.

Also, romaji is, as far as I know, never used in Japanese, but only to transcribe Japanese to people who can't read hiragana and katakana.
If you're learning the syllabaries, stay far, far away from romaji. Use hiragana and katakana as soon as possible.
Reply 1990
Original post by Xurvi
I suggest Firefox users have a look at the Rikaichan add-on. It adds a popup with the definition/translation of the word (single kanji or compound and hiragana/katakana) you hover your mouse on.

This. Rikaichan has helped me immensely with reading Japanese online - it gives you the hiragana reading for Kanji, and is pretty good at some slang/casual forms; it knew what ワロタ was, which I had only seen on 2Chan and SNS. Impressed me. :cool:
Original post by stifa
The way I learn kanji reading is basically learning the kanji itself through the RtK method, and I learn the reading as a go along basically. For instance 人:

= HITO ひと
七人 = nanaNIN ニン
一人 = hitoRI
日本人 = nihonJIN ジン
and so on. I know there is another one for 人, but I haven't encountered it yet.
I have been through 906 kanji in RtK, but I don't know the reading on too many of them.

Kanji learning is by no means easy, but I feel that this is the easiest, and most fun, way of learning to read kanji.

でも、 漢字 は むずかし です
(I put spaces between the words to avoid the diamonds.)

When you know the kanji for woman, you can just guess what this adjective means: 姦しい :tongue: (it means "noisy")

Also, do you have Furigana Injector installed on your browser? It add pretty accurate furigana to the websites your browsing if there are kanji in them.

The sounds pretty smart that I've deciuded to download and try Anki again (I'm installing it onto my android so I can learn on the go!:biggrin:) with somebody's RTK of common everyday Kanji. I hope this goes well and even if it doesn't ありがとう!

Hahah I love that kanji (noisy is a punch of 3 women!!!) and kanji like that! Abstract compound kanji are the best like my favourite is

(mai, means every) which is the kanji + because "Every person has a mother"

I did have a furigana add-on but don't use it because I'm now on Chrome and don't really read Japanese things on the internet as much these days but some books I've bought have furigana which is always handy.

Oh I nearly forgot. If you want to improve your reading its been recommended that you read Japanese Children's books えほん (ehon, picture books) and you can find them online on a website called Ehon Navi that you need to sign up to (free) and it lets you read simple childrens book (no kanji) but only once and the site is completely Japanese.

I've read some of them, I like the book いろいろばあ (Various Colours) but this book called うんこ(Poo) was some weird weird story about this poo (that could talk) a puppy(わんこ) did in the street and anything that smelt it ran away, so it got upset that nobody liked it but in the end it got used to grow something, gosh that book was weird but I learnt the onomatopoeia for sniff sniff
くんくん

For more infomation read: http://japanese.about.com/b/2012/06/22/free-access-to-japanese-children-books-at-ehon-navi-site.htm and the website itself:http://www.ehonnavi.net/

I think this Society needs to make a list of Japanese Resources, cause Sharing is Caring (unless its Communism, its MANDATORY hahahahaha)
(edited 11 years ago)
Are here Japanese members too? Japanese members who speak English well?
Reply 1993
Original post by Kallisto
Hello Japanese learners and people!

I still need a person who is able to translate a Japanese text into English. Is there anyone who speak Japanese fluently?

Do you still need this doing? What kinda text is it? I'll translate it for you if it's not too long.
Agreed but profit begs to differ. Also my days of sailing the high seas of the internet are over plus I don't know how to torrent properly and currently have no time to learn.

Have you learnt Japanese quickly like it promises?

Depending on romanji is a bad habit because majority of the Japanese I come across is in kana and kanji, only romanji I see is when I learn. Since you're a beginner I really recommend you have your crutch on Kana and not Romanji, it would be so helpful cause whenever you read something you don't have to transcribe it by writing romanji above it like I do. Hahaha Defensive...

Kanji I've always found a stuggle and if their is no furigana, I'm a fish on land. I've got several Kanji Books and know some basics like Woman, Man, the numbers, child, etc... Thats really great you learn Kanji and hirigana with ease.

OH, SO THEY DO HAVE ENGLISH!! This was because I was watching the videos on youtube and not the site itself. Plus I like 80s cheese, the people on it are funny and it's taught me:
池のまえねこがいます!!(point out where things are)
辞書をみてもいいですか (ask if its okay to do something)
まいあさ彼がコーヒーを のみます、でもなにもを食べません。(describing people's day to day doings)
湯便局はどこですか(asking where something is)
and so on.

I have tried emerging myself in the language by watching NHK (when we had it) and listening to Japanese songs(Kumi Koda好きなかしゅよ!), but when the hell am I going to need:
あたしFISH BOWLのなか!自分にNo Controool!:elefant: 
わからない、でも日本語のうたが面白いですよ。Better than English ones.

Ignore the diamonds, they haven't missed out much

Lol I haven't even started :biggrin: Will start soon and tell you :smile:
It's easy pm me :tongue:
Original post by blueray
Lol I haven't even started :biggrin: Will start soon and tell you :smile:
It's easy pm me :tongue:

Well Good Luck and Ganbatte! (Try your best!):biggrin:

I'll keep that in mind if I can't find it rar or zip, which I doubt because Rossetta would be massive but Argiatou Gozaimasu Blueray-san, anata wa tottemo yasashii (Thanks Blueray, you're really kind)

HOOT 2000th POST! (I know this isn't 4chan but I couldn't resist):bl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1996
I want a Japanese Wife.
Reply 1997
Please don't ask what mnemonic I used to remember 毎. Hint: it involves a certain "theory" Freud came up with.

And I like reading with kanji. Reading a cluster of hiragana is painful. Kanji w/ furigana is the best way of reading at my beginner stage.

And remember, putting する after makes it into a bad word. :tongue:

Do you know if there are some graded readers for learners (who are not children) available online? Because of my poor vision, I prefer to read stuff on the computer where I can zoom and stuff.
Original post by stifa
Please don't ask what mnemonic I used to remember 毎. Hint: it involves a certain "theory" Freud came up with.

And I like reading with kanji. Reading a cluster of hiragana is painful. Kanji w/ furigana is the best way of reading at my beginner stage.

And remember, putting する after makes it into a bad word. :tongue:

Do you know if there are some graded readers for learners (who are not children) available online? Because of my poor vision, I prefer to read stuff on the computer where I can zoom and stuff.

I know of a few (was into Psychology a lot once...) but I have no idea what would have to so with it, tempted to ask but...no. The mnemoic I remember the most is because in the anime Chobits, the character Chi had a head device that looked like that.

LMFAO 姦する 姦する, Oh thats what it is in Japanese and I'm not being censored on TSR. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get into a fight wahahaha.

No sorry I don't know of any but search "Japanese Comphresion" and you'll get a bunch that could be to your use.
Original post by Ash S
Do you still need this doing? What kinda text is it? I'll translate it for you if it's not too long.

As far as I can see the text contains about 120 words. Perhaps its a little less. If you accept this number of words, I will send the one as a private message.

Quick Reply

Latest