The Student Room Group

best STUDENT bank account!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The co-op is the best offering a guarenteed £2,000 0% overdraft, Santander do a £1,500 overdraft but you get £50, these accounts offer much better deals than any others tbh
Original post by >Untitled<
Our whole family has always been with HSBC :yep:

I've been with Nationwide beforehand, so I'm hoping the HSBC are better (they can't be any worse, so I'm not worried about that! :tongue:).
Original post by Astronomical
I've been with Nationwide beforehand, so I'm hoping the HSBC are better (they can't be any worse, so I'm not worried about that! :tongue:).

They are really good :yep:

They have really nice staff too, something thats hard to find nowadays :K:
Original post by >Untitled<
They are really good :yep:

They have really nice staff too, something thats hard to find nowadays :K:

Yes, I noticed the friendly staff when I went in there to set my "early bird" account up! :biggrin: I should really go round and confirm my place at university, come to think of it... :tongue:
Reply 24
I've gone with the Co-op for my student account. Great choice with the only downside being there aren't as many bank branches for the Co-op as there is say with HSBC, Natwest or Barclays. The one thing I'm absolutely chuffed with is the fact the call centres for the Co-op are in England as I'm pretty fed up with having to sort out problems with someone in India.
Natwest, on sign up you get to negotiate overdraft, also get a 33% discount rail card. Always updating with other freebie, www.natwest.co.uk/student
Link is something similar to that if that is not entirely correct.
Also, the co-op is an 'ethical bank'.

I was shallow and went with natwest for the railcard! Haha, also the overdraft is smaller so I will feel more hesitant to go into it unless absolutely necessary, and I've banked with them for 4 years with no issue. I'm planning to open a co-op current account on the side so that whatever I earn from working is separate to my loan.

(:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 27
Just a heads up for anyone going with Santander. I have had a few problems with them (As most people do with any bank)! However whenever I have a problem I email the CEO. I say what I am upset with and they fix it within a day and then puts £50 in my account. I have done this twice now and it is quite useful :biggrin:
Reply 28
Guys don't forget that Lloyds TSB have just been forced to sell a load of their branches and they chose to sell them to the co-op along with the name TSB so next year when it goes through, the co-op will be a major high street bank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18898125

:wink:

This was posted from my iPhone.
Reply 29
Lloyds TSB give you a free NUS card I believe, Barclays give you an interest free overdraft of up to £2,000, Natwest give you a free railcard...
Lots of choices, just open bank account everywhere. Barclays told me it doesn't matter if I have a student account elsewhere.
Original post by Stoof
Any high street bank will give you either a Visa or Mastercard debit card, which can be used just about everywhere in the UK and in many other parts of the world. I'm going with Natwest, as Ram92 said you won't find yourself at any major disadvantage going with this bank or the next one, it's just preference. A free rail card appeals to me as it saves ~£100 leaving my pocket in the first semester and I've never had an issue with them :smile:

A railcard does, but it's not unique to Natwest. A 3 year railcard is only worth £65.00 at current prices (or around £25.20 a year), so it's not THAT much better than Santanders £50 offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
No, it's just the price of the railcard you're saving - not a penny more. If Natwest didn't give you one then you could just buy one.

Though I take your point, if you are on a 4 year course and would use a railcard for 4 years it is better value.
I'm starting university in September and I still have no idea where to open my account :biggrin:

Co-op sounds pretty good so I thought I'd go with them and when I went on their website to apply it said 'to be eligible for a student account you must be a UK citizen...' but I'm from Germany -.-

Does that mean I can't open an account at all?
Reply 33
I'm going with natwest. I already have an account with them and when i upgrade to a student account I get my free railcard! :smile:
Original post by destinyandchicken
I'm starting university in September and I still have no idea where to open my account :biggrin:

Co-op sounds pretty good so I thought I'd go with them and when I went on their website to apply it said 'to be eligible for a student account you must be a UK citizen...' but I'm from Germany -.-

Does that mean I can't open an account at all?

Please, I need your help, guys xD
Someone please help me, im confused about this, what are these student accounts about? Im going to start A2 in a month, but can do with some extra money, i seen a deal with co-op something about £1400 interest free over drraft? I havent got a clue about bank accounts, is this a credit card or something? Like i can take out 1400, and pay it back whenever but not pay any interest on top? Please help me thanksss!
Reply 36

I would contact them.

However would HSBC not be a better option for a international student considering they are a world bank?

But yeh contact them.

Natwest have a good international student account
Reply 38
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Someone please help me, im confused about this, what are these student accounts about? Im going to start A2 in a month, but can do with some extra money, i seen a deal with co-op something about £1400 interest free over drraft? I havent got a clue about bank accounts, is this a credit card or something? Like i can take out 1400, and pay it back whenever but not pay any interest on top? Please help me thanksss!

You can only get a student account as a student in higher education. Whe you get you letter from Ucas confirming your course you take it in to the bank and they will allow you to open a student account.
You can get a current account when you are over 18 though and various other when you are 16.
Reply 39
Original post by JessChappers01
Hey everyone,
Im going to University in September and am starting to look at student bank accounts and which one would be best for me..
on a website it says the CO OP is the best however i was then thinking but surely the co op has a lack of cash points
im already with santander but currently have no overdraft or anything so perhaps that would be best for me because surely i could just switch my account?
What bank is everyone else with and what does everyone reccommend?
thankyou :biggrin:

Interest free overdraft is the overriding factor, look at that first and then the 'rewards' the various banks are offering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending