The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by Dann
こんばんは!

I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit. I'm just beginning to learn the language, and so following some advice I saw on here, I've been learning ひらがな and been doing ok with it. I guess next up I'll try to get to grips with かたかな (to put it in perspective just writing these words out is taking me an awful long time!). What I wanted to know was, when should I start trying to actually learn some vocab / grammar? Should I try and get the syllabaries down perfectly and then go, or should I be jumping in now?

I have access to げんきbut it's sort of hard to know how to proceed. As another small question, in my book, こんばんは (as I wrote at the beginning) is transcribed as 'konbanwa'. Why is it not 'konbanha', or alternatively, こんばんわ?

ありがとお ございます!

The reason it isn't 'konbanha' in your book is the choice of the author. は, when used as a particle, can be transliterated as 'wa' or 'ha'. 'wa' is probably less confusing for a learner's textbook.
Reply 2081
Original post by xe_nia
オッ~ス! ハハ, 僕の日本語はめっちゃ 悪いだ! ロシア人だから, ロシアの学校でロシア 語と英語とドイツ語を 学んだ. 僕は日本と日本の ミュジックを大好きな ので, この外国語 を自分自身で 学んだ.
とにかく, それらのすべては やっぱりまずい. ハァァァ.
A2lv.を終えた後, ドイツ語と日本語を勉 強したい!

ok, that was hard. if anyone pointed out any mistakes I made here, it would be great :smile:

There should be a before the 大好き instead of を. Remember 好き is not a verb like its English counterpart.

Also, lang-8 is a website where you can post stuff and Japanese natives will correct. it. Seriously, even my first -- and only -- post got corrected within a few hours.
Reply 2082
Original post by stifa
There should be a before the 大好き instead of を. Remember 好き is not a verb like its English counterpart.

Also, lang-8 is a website where you can post stuff and Japanese natives will correct. it. Seriously, even my first -- and only -- post got corrected within a few hours.

ah, riight.
ok, will try it out, thank you :smile:
Hi guys!!

First post for me in this thread, but certainly not my first post in the forum! :smile: I graduated this summer, and am very strongly considering making an application for the JET program for the 2013-14 cycle (as an ALT). Essentially my linguistic interest has always been towards European languages, but I've been wanting to travel to Asia a lot recently, and Japan has always been one of the places I most wanted to visit. It's completely out of my comfort zone and would be a very challenging experience, but that's what really appeals to me! My biggest fear is that I can't yet demonstrate a concrete interest in Japan. I mean, of course I'm in interested to Japan - but I guess it's an interest in the unknown that fuels it.

I read the past couple of pages in the thread and saw some mention of it - so to anyone who has done this, would you recommend I go for it? Does anyone else have any thoughts/advice? :smile:
Reply 2084
Original post by jonnythemoose
Hi guys!!

First post for me in this thread, but certainly not my first post in the forum! :smile: I graduated this summer, and am very strongly considering making an application for the JET program for the 2013-14 cycle (as an ALT). Essentially my linguistic interest has always been towards European languages, but I've been wanting to travel to Asia a lot recently, and Japan has always been one of the places I most wanted to visit. It's completely out of my comfort zone and would be a very challenging experience, but that's what really appeals to me! My biggest fear is that I can't yet demonstrate a concrete interest in Japan. I mean, of course I'm in interested to Japan - but I guess it's an interest in the unknown that fuels it.

I read the past couple of pages in the thread and saw some mention of it - so to anyone who has done this, would you recommend I go for it? Does anyone else have any thoughts/advice? :smile:

I was accepted onto the JET programme (but turned it down to do something more fun), so I know about the application process.

Just remember that you're competing against a whole bunch of people who love Japan and whose dream it is to live there. Your "statement of purpose" has to impress Japanese embassy staff more than theirs. Think of an angle and work with it. I'd say that you're going to have to come up with a specific and good reason for wanting to go to Japan - otherwise, why not just go to Korea or something?
I've been in Tokyo for 11 months. It's my last 48 hours before I return to the UK. Need to make it memorable. Too much pressureeee
Reply 2086
This may sound a bit n00bish compared to the level most people are at on here...

... But I'm so glad I got my A* in GCSE Japanese and now I can finally do the A-level! Attempt it anyway. :redface:
Reply 2087
Original post by screenager2004
I've been in Tokyo for 11 months. It's my last 48 hours before I return to the UK. Need to make it memorable. Too much pressureeee

How was it?
Original post by jonnythemoose
Hi guys!!

Well, I'm currently here in Japan as a JET. In my opinion, it's definitely the best way to come over and see Japan, but no means the only option. I've chosen my words carefully there because while it is an amazing way to live in Japan and generally have a great time -- the job and living situation can be hit and miss.

You have very little choice over where you are placed so you may be placed way out in the middle of nowhere and you may not actually do that much in the way of teaching.

However, the benefits of the JET program are far superior to coming to Japan via a private company. (support, insurance, set-up, flights, size of pay check)

The application process is a long and arduous one as you can imagine for such an opportunity - but I wouldn't let your worries about showing (or rather not showing) a deep involvement in Japanese things put you off applying. I know so many people who didn't really have anything to do with Japan before coming here but saw the JET program as an amazing opportunity, challenge, and adventure. You should also bear in mind that one of the aims of the JET Program is 'soft diplomacy'. Sending people home from their tenure over here who have a new-found appreciation and love of Japan with the hope being that will translate in time to greater goodwill towards Japan. If you already love Japan then that goal is somewhat redundant.

You will probably read many conflicting things about the application process, and it's pretty shrouded in mystery but at its core it's the same as any other job in the world. They are still looking for all those HR buzzwords (communication skills etc.etc.). One thing that effects the JET Program application/interview process more than others is perhaps the fear of people freaking out when departure time draws near or shortly after arrival in Japan. They want to see you demonstrate confidence and independence ideally.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I've been here a year so I have a good understand of the Program.
Original post by Azimuth
How was it?

Incredible. The best 11 months of my life.
Genuinely concerned about my mental health when I go back to the UK. Don't know how I will be able to make the transition. I've spent the last year roaming the restaurants and bars of Tokyo every night with a generous scholarship. Now I am going back to live in a tiny student house in Coventry with no money and all my friends have graduated without me. It's going to be tough.
Reply 2090
Original post by screenager2004
Incredible. The best 11 months of my life.
Genuinely concerned about my mental health when I go back to the UK. Don't know how I will be able to make the transition. I've spent the last year roaming the restaurants and bars of Tokyo every night with a generous scholarship. Now I am going back to live in a tiny student house in Coventry with no money and all my friends have graduated without me. It's going to be tough.

Yeah. That's my answer to everyone who asks how my year in Japan was - "best year of my life".

Just have to do a couple of years here in London and then I can transfer to Tokyo. :biggrin:
Reply 2091
Original post by Paramore<3
This may sound a bit n00bish compared to the level most people are at on here...

... But I'm so glad I got my A* in GCSE Japanese and now I can finally do the A-level! Attempt it anyway. :redface:

I'm in my A2 year of Japanese, hello fellow a level-er!
Reply 2092
Original post by Folks
I'm in my A2 year of Japanese, hello fellow a level-er!

Aah! A rare breed (!?) :smile: How did you find AS?
Reply 2093
Aah! A rare breed (!?) :smile: How did you find AS?

So true, it's near impossible to find anyone who's taken Japanese... and lets not even mention trying to find revision resources...
Truthfully I'd only taken AS Japanese to fill the 4th option block, it was a nice reliable subject and I'd planned to drop it after AS, but I've had a change of heart since then because the AS was so good! Aiming for an A* this year! Fingers crossed. The hardest part of AS Jap is keeping up with the kanji, honestly make sure you learn ~15 a week or you'll soon find yourself swamped. Do you use kanji gold/language perfect/kantango?
Reply 2094
Original post by Folks
So true, it's near impossible to find anyone who's taken Japanese... and lets not even mention trying to find revision resources...
Truthfully I'd only taken AS Japanese to fill the 4th option block, it was a nice reliable subject and I'd planned to drop it after AS, but I've had a change of heart since then because the AS was so good! Aiming for an A* this year! Fingers crossed. The hardest part of AS Jap is keeping up with the kanji, honestly make sure you learn ~15 a week or you'll soon find yourself swamped. Do you use kanji gold/language perfect/kantango?

I know, it's so difficult sans textbooks. :confused:

Oh really? What did you get at AS? Wow, surprising to hear such a positive review. :colondollar:
Yeah, I've heard the kanji is the sucker. No idea how much I know after GCSE, probably nowhere near the amount you learn just at AS.
Oh my god, okay, I will bear that in mind!
Um... no... :colone: What are these mystery things... our school makes good resources for us, but if you recommend those I will check them out!
Reply 2095
I know, it's so difficult sans textbooks. :confused:

Oh really? What did you get at AS? Wow, surprising to hear such a positive review. :colondollar:
Yeah, I've heard the kanji is the sucker. No idea how much I know after GCSE, probably nowhere near the amount you learn just at AS.
Oh my god, okay, I will bear that in mind!
Um... no... :colone: What are these mystery things... our school makes good resources for us, but if you recommend those I will check them out!

I got a B, two damn UMS from the A! :grr: but it's normal practice here for people to retake in year 13, so the average result is C/D going up to A/B. Probably just due to accumulating language better over two years?
I think after GCSE you should know ~200, and for AS+A2 you learn another 400! Ah they are amazing, especially language perfect, you should get your school to investigate it! Invaluable for languages imo :smile:
Reply 2096
Original post by Folks
I got a B, two damn UMS from the A! :grr: but it's normal practice here for people to retake in year 13, so the average result is C/D going up to A/B. Probably just due to accumulating language better over two years?
I think after GCSE you should know ~200, and for AS+A2 you learn another 400! Ah they are amazing, especially language perfect, you should get your school to investigate it! Invaluable for languages imo :smile:

Aah, so close! That's still amazing though. :cool: Well done!

Ok, yeah, that sounds reasonable. I got Kanji Gold and Kantango, they seem cool. I had Anki but never quite got to grips with it, so maybe I should try that again too. Language Perfect looks like you need your school to muck about with it, so I'll mention it when we start. :smile:

Thank you for those~ I'm really excited to start. :biggrin:
Reply 2097
What is the average cost for evening classes to learn Japanese in central London?
Reply 2098
Does loving anime count :colondollar:

Though I do love the culture. I'm also trying to learn the language :biggrin:
Original post by LucyA
??????

Everybody loves Japanese :biggrin:

Please post if you:
-Speak Japanese
-Are Japanese
-Live in Japan
-Love Japan
-Love the culture of Japan
etc. etc!

Resources
The Japanese page - I found this very good for learning kana, it also has some grammar
Kanji dictionary - excellent
Japanese dictionary
LRNJ - small program/game for learning kana
The Kanji Site - a very good site for learning, well, kanji :smile:

To join, please check out this page

?????

Well, hello.
- I have sat a JLPT, results soon.
- Not Japanese, British :biggrin:
- Stayed in Japan twice.
- Love Japanese history, particularly the Gempei war and Meiji period.

Quick Reply

Latest