The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8680
I need advice. I left for university on Thursday, and my boyfriend is a bit of a mess. Well, I say a bit. He hasn't been to college yet, he isn't sleeping properly, or eating. I mean, I miss him, but not this much, this quickly. I think it's just a bit of a shock to him that I'm so far away. He won't even skype with me cause he's scared he'll get too upset. He worded it as "there's too many emotions," i just have no idea what to do :frown: i can't let him get on with life cause he always says that he feels as if i'm slipping away, but then, everytime I speak to him, I just feel so guilty for leaving him. I need him to be more positive, but he's just gone into instantaneous depression... Any advice?
Original post by katehlouise
I wish I had some work to start on. I have way too much time to think about things.

that is exactly how i feel :frown: he's at uni and i'm ona lonely gap year :'(
Original post by Magikus
I need advice. I left for university on Thursday, and my boyfriend is a bit of a mess. Well, I say a bit. He hasn't been to college yet, he isn't sleeping properly, or eating. I mean, I miss him, but not this much, this quickly. I think it's just a bit of a shock to him that I'm so far away. He won't even skype with me cause he's scared he'll get too upset. He worded it as "there's too many emotions," i just have no idea what to do :frown: i can't let him get on with life cause he always says that he feels as if i'm slipping away, but then, everytime I speak to him, I just feel so guilty for leaving him. I need him to be more positive, but he's just gone into instantaneous depression... Any advice?

reassuring him is probably the best thing to do.
The first few times are tough, but you adjust, settle into a pattern and it gets a lot easier!
I've known my girlfriend for 8 months and have been with her for 3. She started off as a friend and we became best friends. We're now together and I truly love her. Our relationship is going really well despite ups and downs. We talk everyday on Skype and are in the same year. In September we will both be going to University. I will either be going Brunel or UCL and she will be going UCL or Coventry (Four hour drive). I'm worried for the typical reasons (Dullness in relationship, falling for another person etc). I know we do love each other and I know I do because she was the complete opposite from my "type" to begin with, despite many others finding her attractive. It was her personality.

Do I have much to worry about if we're both in London? Can you give the best advice for someone like me please?

Thanks
I've known my girlfriend for 8 months and have been with her for 3. She started off as a friend and we became best friends. We're now together and I truly love her. Our relationship is going really well despite ups and downs. We talk everyday on Skype and are in the same year. In September we will both be going to University. I will either be going Brunel or UCL and she will be going UCL or Coventry (Four hour drive). I'm worried for the typical reasons (Dullness in relationship, falling for another person etc). I know we do love each other and I know I do because she was the complete opposite from my "type" to begin with, despite many others finding her attractive. It was her personality.

Do I have much to worry about if we're both in London? Can you give the best advice for someone like me please?

Thanks
Sorry it posted twice. My internet went a bit funny.
Reply 8687
Original post by supershinigami

Thanks

My first advice is to not worry about it yet... you have another year or so to go before that's even something that's going to happen so enjoy the relationship for what it is. I'm not going to deny that going to uni means big changes and these can obviously affect relationships because they can't adapt with this change but you'll never know if you don't try. As for distance if it is London to Coventry, get a railcard, book in advance and you'll cut the costs down massively. If i book in advance i can get my train down to 15 pound from Lancaster to Southampton with a railcard. Also coaches may be cheaper so I'm sure you'll find a way to make it round the distance. As for know, make the most of the relationship, don't sway each other into picking unis closer as you'll only end up resenting each other for it. Hope that helps, I know it may sound harsh.

Original post by Magikus

Have you planned when you're going to see him next? May be worth doing so he has a date to look forward to, also my advice to him is to try to keep busy as sitting dwelling on it is doing neither of you any good. As for advice for you; set times to talk so he knows he will hear from you, reassure him that you still love him, that you're still there for him even if its not physically atm. Its hard when you're the one leaving as well since you end up feeling guilty for upsetting the other one. :hugs:

Original post by emahwoowoo
Just saw my boyfriend off on a train back to his uni. Before he left we both cried about being apart again :frown: to all you guys starting LDRs, we've been in one for a year and yep, it's really hard at times, but remember it's tough on both of you. I always forget my guy misses me just as much as I miss him and hates being apart just as much as I do. Everyone saying it gets easier are right, it does, but don't think you won't have your moments!

Much love x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Couldn't agree more with this! Been long distance for 4 years now (together 5.5) and although we have now settled into our routines of how to adapt to it and commuincation and visits which does make it easier. It doesn't stop there being the odd tear shed at the station or in our rooms before we have to say goodbye. Often us girls think that just because our bfs don't say it they don't miss us but quite often they are trying to be strong for our benefit as they don't want us to feel worse. So keep that in mind when you're missing OHs that they are probably missing you just as much!

Original post by ninegrandstudent
Thanks for the replies - now I know the girls/guys on the other thread are older that makes sense, I just felt a bit like a silly schoolgirl whining and although they didn't make me feel like that, I did feel I was having to justify myself a bit more.

I'm at Kent university, and he's somewhere in the midlands (not too keen on posting exactly where) but google says its 200 miles between us :P I know that mobiles and all that are on our side, we've had two phone calls in the last week (we're not really a phone-y couple, never have been) and I've never used Skype but I'll think we'll give that a go when he's settled in a uni.

I'm feeling a lot more positive today, yesterday was my really bad day. Still hurts when I see couples walking about (was in Tescos earlier and reallyyyy missed him, we'd done weekly shops together for our families over the last few weeks and I suddenly missed that) but I've made it through the first week.

My 'worry' is that he is quite a huggy person, he was with me before we got together, and with a few other of our friends. So I'm worried that (1) girls will read into this the wrong way and (2) me or family will come across pictures of him and someone else hugging on facebook. He has said he'll try not to be so huggy til I'm settled, and I know realisically they don't mean anything, but it still hurts sometimes.

I still get the odd twinge of jealousy when i see couples holding hands, especially if its been a few weeks since I last saw my OH. Glad you've been feeling more positive, hope you manage to keep busy until Oct :smile: Skype is awesome, one its free and two you get to 'see' your Oh which can definitely make the difference although obviously will never compare to actually getting to see them!

As for the last paragraph, my main advice is to ignore your family especially if they have a tendency to make unhelpful comments, least the boy is making a conscious effort to be more thoughtful in his actions and thats definitely something he should be commended on as he is trying to make it easier for you at least. If you ever need to talk feel free to chat her, pm me or the chat thread (believe me no one would look at you as a whiny child, we've all got different distances but in the end its all relative to what you're used to.. in my mind a relationship is LDR when there is any distance between you that prevents you being able to see your OH as much as you're used to or in fact would like, for some it's international for others its a few hours on the train but doesn't stop either of them being difficult).
Progress! I just had my first phonecall with my boyfriend where I wasn't crying! xD
hey guys.. me and my boyfriend have been together for about 8 months.. he's been to uni for just over a week and I was just getting used to the distance and today I got a message saying its over :frown: I never really understood the reason but it involved him missing me too much and feeling low and wanting to see me most weekends when we can't.. it's so strange because before he went I was the one with doubts and now he's gone and done this just one week into uni?! I'm so confused and upset :frown: this happened to anyone else?

I am absolutely terrified of my boyfriend leaving for uni next weekend. I'm going up with him and his parents to settle him in and am dreading saying goodbye.
I know we'll be fine and that he loves me, but I can't shake this fear that he'll find someone much more suited to him than me. It doesn't help that he always has loads of girls interested in him because he's such a lovely, funny guy, but sometimes I think that comes off as a bit flirty and I'm worried someone might take that as an invitation? I know he's 100% faithful to me, and I know he will be, but I can't shake these feelings of paranoia.
Having no idea of when I'll see him again isn't helping either, but it's so difficult to get him to plan anything (he's a useless planner), and I don't want to pressure him or interrupt his uni life etc. I want him to have the best uni experience possible and I'm also worried that being in a relationship will stop him being able to do that...he's said that our relationship comes first but I want him to be out having fun, not putting things on hold for me. Yet I'm contradicting myself by saying that I'm scared of him going out and meeting other girls and something happening.
My head is all over the place, and I'm being so needy and I hate it! I'm so proud of my boyfriend for what he's achieved and for getting into his dream uni, and I want to make sure that he knows this and isn't getting frustrated at my constant worries. :frown:

I'm terrified: my LDR is over tomorrow and I've forgotten how to have a normal relationship. A whole new minefield awaits us.

Original post by such_a_lady
I'm terrified: my LDR is over tomorrow and I've forgotten how to have a normal relationship. A whole new minefield awaits us.

*sneaks in* :ninja:

Good luck! :h:
Original post by punctuation
*sneaks in* :ninja:

Good luck! :h:

Thank you!!!

Original post by HopelessWonder
I am absolutely terrified of my boyfriend leaving for uni next weekend. I'm going up with him and his parents to settle him in and am dreading saying goodbye.
I know we'll be fine and that he loves me, but I can't shake this fear that he'll find someone much more suited to him than me. It doesn't help that he always has loads of girls interested in him because he's such a lovely, funny guy, but sometimes I think that comes off as a bit flirty and I'm worried someone might take that as an invitation? I know he's 100% faithful to me, and I know he will be, but I can't shake these feelings of paranoia.
Having no idea of when I'll see him again isn't helping either, but it's so difficult to get him to plan anything (he's a useless planner), and I don't want to pressure him or interrupt his uni life etc. I want him to have the best uni experience possible and I'm also worried that being in a relationship will stop him being able to do that...he's said that our relationship comes first but I want him to be out having fun, not putting things on hold for me. Yet I'm contradicting myself by saying that I'm scared of him going out and meeting other girls and something happening.
My head is all over the place, and I'm being so needy and I hate it! I'm so proud of my boyfriend for what he's achieved and for getting into his dream uni, and I want to make sure that he knows this and isn't getting frustrated at my constant worries. :frown:

If he loves you there won't be a problem, communication is a key as long as you don't suffocate him
Reply 8695
Original post by Monster Mnch
Girlfriend is going University on the weekend - whilst I have another year of college left. We're going to carry on going out - she's not going too far from me anyway, but has anyone ever felt a little uncomfortable about what could happen? We've been going out for nearly 9 months now, I do still feel a little uneasy about her leaving. She is very committed to me and she's re-iterated that to me, but there have been guys before who've taken their interest a little too far before so I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever felt the same? I guess it's down to me over-analysing a lot.

It's normal to feel uneasy. All you have to do is trust that she loves you and is committed to the relationship. Just because guys are looking at her, doesn't mean she's looking at them. I'm in a similar situation, but I'm going off to university while my boyfriend is back in London for another year- it will be hard but I believe we can work past the distance and maybe get stronger. Distance does make the heart grow fonder :smile:
Hey, I was just wondering, how do you guys cope with jealousy in your LDRs? I've recently moved away to a different country - eight months apart, though I'm seeing him every six-seven weeks, and even though it hasn't even been a week yet I'm already feeling painfully jealous because of social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook. Every time I go on there my boyfriend is posting something funny or flirty to one of his female friends, and because I'm yet to make friends here it just makes me feel miserable and insecure. I know that he means nothing by it, but how do people cope with it? I'm sure I'm not alone in looking through pictures of my other half with members of the opposite sex and feeling jealous, and it's so much harder to know what's going on when there's so many miles between you.

Thanks for any help/advice :smile:
Reply 8697
Hi there,

Currently my boyfriend of 1 yr is in uni, unfortunately i didnt get into uni, and am now on a gap year. I'm retaking a few modules, working and learning to drive. Ive really kept myself busy because I was so upset i didnt get in.

Recently he got left to go uni, about 2 and a half hours away and i feel so lonely and down. Literally all my friends have left for uni to and its only me. I feel so lonely and a failure. He sends me messages all the time, tells me how his day is going, but because its all new to him too, our convos are always cut short, or replies are always a little late. help!

Any advice on how to get over it?
Reply 8698
excuse the poor spelling! :smile:
Original post by Sweet_Heart
Hey, I was just wondering, how do you guys cope with jealousy in your LDRs? I've recently moved away to a different country - eight months apart, though I'm seeing him every six-seven weeks, and even though it hasn't even been a week yet I'm already feeling painfully jealous because of social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook. Every time I go on there my boyfriend is posting something funny or flirty to one of his female friends, and because I'm yet to make friends here it just makes me feel miserable and insecure. I know that he means nothing by it, but how do people cope with it? I'm sure I'm not alone in looking through pictures of my other half with members of the opposite sex and feeling jealous, and it's so much harder to know what's going on when there's so many miles between you.

Thanks for any help/advice :smile:

I know people always say this, but you just have to trust him. I had the same thing - I moved to America for a year, and only had the chance to come home once. It was tough seeing my bf with all these new friends and having an amazing time and joking around without me, and talking about other girls who were his friends. But at the end of the day, I knew that it was me he was with, and even though it was uncomfortable, I had to grin and bear it. The only other thing you can do is talk to him about it if it goes to far. But you're with him for a reason, and you should trust him until given a real reason to do otherwise :smile:

So I haven't posted in here for a while so I don't know if anyone remembers me haha. But I was insanely scared about moving 5000 miles away for a year... but I just wanted to post and say to everyone out there going through similar things, it is definitely possible! I flew home after 4 months as I had family stuff going on and missed him too much (24 hours travelling and much hecticness and debt... but so worth it!). But we made it and are stronger and happier than ever ... so don't give up! :biggrin: (cheesey enough for you? :wink: )

Latest

Trending

Trending