The Student Room Group

Insulting religion...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Historicity
If I'm in a debate with somebody who doesn't want to criticise what we are talking about it is not a debate, it is them supporting the cause.

One can debate without criticizing the other's point of view. Am I criticizing your view or are we "discussing" your view?

Especially on both sides. And so what, he mocked it, why do no cancer patients kick off over family guy jokes or Americans kick off over 9/11 comedy jokes? We can actually see them affecting people too. The video didn't even directly hurt somebody (unless somebody was killed in the making.).

That's due to the mentality of the people who are being offended.

For example, would you be offended if someone started bad mouthing your Mum out there on the street and made unjustified criticism of her?

I can't comment because I've only seen the first ten seconds of the video and realised it was absolute drivel not worth my time. The video is wrong but it does not justify the reaction.

Carrying on from the above example, how would you react if someone insulted your Mum in public?
Original post by squishy123
One can debate without criticizing the other's point of view. Am I criticizing your view or are we "discussing" your view?

That's due to the mentality of the people who are being offended.

For example, would you be offended if someone started bad mouthing your Mum out there on the street and made unjustified criticism of her?

Carrying on from the above example, how would you react if someone insulted your Mum in public?

Look you're trying to over word things to simply come across as being correct. It's not working and it's getting boring.

And I wouldn't care. I'd be weary of that person but I wouldn't care. People have, people have insulted me. It happens, so what? What is causing damage and harming people (especially not directly related to the insult) going to achieve other than making it more likely than not to make them insults true?
Hillary was only being pragmatic, I'm sure deep down she and other liberals don't actually give a **** about offending faiths, religion and what not. But she knows she has to act sincere otherwise there would be more lives loss as a result of the disproportionate reaction by protesting muslims.
As someone said before all the Mormons I have ever met have been extremely nice, slightly naive people who just happen to believe load of rubbish.

Can't say the same of muslims I have met.
Original post by Scumbaggio
As someone said before all the Mormons I have ever met have been extremely nice, slightly naive people who just happen to believe load of rubbish.

Can't say the same of muslims I have met.

can't say the same about muslims have you actually met any?
or are just saying that based on the bull that you've been fed by people.
Original post by kingsarecool
can't say the same about muslims have you actually met any?
or are just saying that based on the bull that you've been fed by people.

You'd prefer it if I had never met a muslim I'm sure.

I've quite obviously met more muslims than I have Mormons.

One of my best friends is a muslim guy I lived with for two years.
Reply 26
Original post by squishy123

What you want us to say is that we'd behave in a such an childish manner and beat the crap out of them, right?

So, you believe the attacks are justified and are trying to make the link that Muslims feel the same way about someone gratuitously insulting Islam as we would feel about someone gratuitously insulting our mum in public, and because in that event, clearly we must want to physically hurt that person, Muslims are justified in their reactions?

If they are <insert race here>, does it justify attacking and killing all the <insert race here> wherever they can be found? How about burning down their embassies?

Seriously, you're likening this to a 'Your mum' insult?

What an odd (not too mention immature) mentality...
Reply 27
Original post by marcusfox

What an odd (not too mention immature) mentality...

It's basically "I'm not prepared to accept any responsibility for my actions."
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Joeman560
Islam is evil. Better say it while I still can.

Hows it evil? Do you know anything about it? have you tried to find out what Islam is? Judging from what you said i think not, you just believe what other people say and believe the corrupt media. Cant wait to see your reply
Reply 29
Original post by Darkbling
Hows it evil? Do you know anything about it? have you tried to find out what Islam is? Judging from what you said i think not, you just believe what other people say and believe the corrupt media. Cant wait to see your reply

My irony meter is off the scale...
Reply 30
My irony meter is off the scale...

And why is that?
And why is that?

Because, Sherlock, religion and especially Islam is about being told what is right and wrong by others and blindly believing it.
Reply 32
Original post by Joeman560
Because, Sherlock, religion and especially Islam is about being told what is right and wrong by others and blindly believing it.

I dont believe anything that is not backed up by evidence. It also kinda common sense if i have been told something and you choose if its right or wrong. But someone like you wouldn't understand because your lost, one day you will know.:smile:
It really does amaze me.

What do these people hope to achieve? Oh no people are starting to ridicule religion and not put it on a pedestal. Everybody is starting to see how ridiculous it is so if we lock up those who don't agree with it then people won't criticise it and suddenly religion which is dying off will slow it's decline.

Pathetic. If somebody insults your god you don't go killing people and causing havoc, you take firm relief in the fact that nothing can disturb your faith and that they will suffer the consequences in the after life.

Maybe they're all really that insecure?

I don't understand why you got negged for that, you're spot on. Maybe it's because you showed a bit of frustrated sarcasm?
Reply 34
I dont believe anything that is not backed up by evidence. It also kinda common sense if i have been told something and you choose if its right or wrong. But someone like you wouldn't understand because your lost, one day you will know.:smile:

But there is no evidence for or against one god above any other, indeed there is none whatsoever for religion, there is only hearsay and blind faith. All evidence so far would seem to indicate the absence of invisible beings of any description, whether benevolent or vengeful.

Yes, we will know one day. One day science will be able to explain everything that was previously attributed to the acts of gods, just because it is currently inexplicable by our current level of knowledge, it does not mean a god did it.

How very convenient for a religion that its god only reveals himself to the believer when the believer is dead, and if they believe, inexplicable pleasures and an eternity in heaven will result. It would be terribly cynical of us to question the reasons why we must wait until we are dead...

Seriously though, I'm not here to debate the existence of religion with you. You and I are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you tell me why you do not believe in any of the other supposed gods, you will understand why I do not believe in yours.
Reply 35

Reply 36
But there is no evidence for or against one god above any other, indeed there is none whatsoever for religion, there is only hearsay and blind faith. All evidence so far would seem to indicate the absence of invisible beings of any description, whether benevolent or vengeful.

Yes, we will know one day. One day science will be able to explain everything that was previously attributed to the acts of gods, just because it is currently inexplicable by our current level of knowledge, it does not mean a god did it.

How very convenient for a religion that its god only reveals himself to the believer when the believer is dead, and if they believe, inexplicable pleasures and an eternity in heaven will result. It would be terribly cynical of us to question the reasons why we must wait until we are dead...

Seriously though, I'm not here to debate the existence of religion with you. You and I are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you tell me why you do not believe in any of the other supposed gods, you will understand why I do not believe in yours.

I believe in 1 god, im not an atheist and im not stupid.
Reply 37
I believe in 1 god, im not an atheist and im not stupid.

You also missed that I never called you stupid. Your comment was rather amusing though, because religion is exactly that - just believing what other people say - faith in other words. Your society has brought you up to believe that that is the truth, if you had been born into any other society, you would have a different religion, or even none.

I was indoctrinated into Catholicism at a young age at school, but as I grew up, I soon realised there were many inconsistencies in the observed world and the religious messages that people were preaching and trying and failing to relate them to modern society, it soon became clear that they were fairy stories written by people who lived long ago, trying to understand their world with little to no knowledge of science, with rules appropriate to life then, but with little relevance or application to life today.

There is equally as much evidence for the god of your choice as there is for Zeus, Thor, Vishnu, or any of the gods described or conceptualised by people alive today or long since dead.

When you tell me why (not simply that) you do not believe in any or all of these, you will understand the point I am trying to make.

It's very telling that you don't have any answer other than angry neg rep.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
So what if I insult religion? It's just a man made ideology/belief system. As far as I'm concerned all people who follow a particular religion are morons and should get their head examined.

The sooner we get rid of religion, the better our world will be.
Look you're trying to over word things to simply come across as being correct. It's not working and it's getting boring.

That's right. Skirt around the issue without engaging in it fully.

And I wouldn't care. I'd be weary of that person but I wouldn't care. People have, people have insulted me. It happens, so what? What is causing damage and harming people (especially not directly related to the insult) going to achieve other than making it more likely than not to make them insults true?

I didn't ask how would you respond if someone insulted you, I asked how you would respond if someone had insulted the memory of your Mum without any kind of justification...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending