The Student Room Group

16+ Oyster card expired completely but...

My Oyster card expired today BUT I still have £30 on it
How do I transfer this to my new card (which hasnt arrived yet) ?

Do I have to pay full fare till I get my new card?

:eek3:

Scroll to see replies

mine's not arrived yet either even tho i sent it off in time... same with my bf... his was working today still tho :s-smilie:
did you do the form where you didn't change your photo or did you get a completely new card? cos they might've just transferred it if the former is true.
i thought the balance transfers auto-magically, and i think bus drivers have been told to accept the expired oyster cards, due to the postal charges, but scanning will cost you.
Reply 3
takethyfacehence
mine's not arrived yet either even tho i sent it off in time... same with my bf... his was working today still tho :s-smilie:
did you do the form where you didn't change your photo or did you get a completely new card? cos they might've just transferred it if the former is true.

I had to get a new card because its 18+ now (im a uni student)
but im really concerned that my 20 quid might be lost
Reply 4
apparently we can still apply for the 16+ oyster card? cos were 18 or something? i dont know.. but this girl told me how she was still using the 16+ oyster at 18... and had to change when she was 19... is this true?
Reply 5
pillow
apparently we can still apply for the 16+ oyster card? cos were 18 or something? i dont know.. but this girl told me how she was still using the 16+ oyster at 18... and had to change when she was 19... is this true?

I tried using the card today but the reader on the bus said that it was invalid-
but my money is still on there!:mad:
Reply 6
Dunno if you can transfer it but I still used mine today cause my new ones not come =( and it only took 10p on the bus =S
Reply 7
juju123

knob head why dont you use up the 30pounds with your old oyster card and when the credit finishes use the new one,u cant transfer credit mayne.
stallion007
knob head why dont you use up the 30pounds with your old oyster card and when the credit finishes use the new one,u cant transfer credit mayne.

Some peoples cards expire fully, others just the free travel expires.

Did anybody say FAIL? :h:

And even if I'm wrong, you're the one that overreacted on a WEB forum.
Reply 9
juju123
I had to get a new card because its 18+ now (im a uni student)
but im really concerned that my 20 quid might be lost

Thought it was £30? :holmes:
Reply 10
Go to a station ticket office and they will refund the money. All they do is look at the picture and give the money back, then you can put it on your new card. I need to take the money off my old one too.
My free travel ran out on the 30th of september and i had to apply for a new oyster to continue getting free travel. This 16+ oyster card is still valid until next year and i put 20 pounds on it so i could get the bus. I now i have my new oyster card so i can get the bus for free but there is still money which i need for the tube etc on the other still valid oyster. How do i transfer the money?
Thanks
Reply 12
You can transfer it, just make sure you still hold onto your old card. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by juju123

I thought you could still use the card if you had money on it? It's just the free travel that expires, but you can use it as a valid oyster card still.

If not you should take it to a tube station nearby and ask one of the ticket officers to help. Ringing TFL to transfer is also an idea, but might take longer.
Reply 14
Call the Oyster helpline. Your credit balance will not transfer otherwise.

Original post by EskimoJo
Thought it was £30? :holmes:

As did I Jo. :holmes:
Just to clarify, can we still use our 16+ Oyster cards for the bus if our new one is yet to arrive?
Hang on hang on hang on

OP is 2 years older... why are we giving advice
Reply 17
You could go to the nearest underground station with your expired Oyster card and with your new 16+ Oyster card the ticket inspector at the ticket counter would help you to transfer the remaining balance to your 16+ Oyster card
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Just to clarify, can we still use our 16+ Oyster cards for the bus if our new one is yet to arrive?

Apparently so,

on the official TFL Oyster twitter account they stated that if your 16+ has expired you can still use it for free busses until the 8th, the card won't register but apparently all the bus drivers know about it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by pillow

I got to do this, but it was a 16-19 yr old card because at 18 i was doing a foundation course which is college therefore i was eligible for the 16+ card. If youre 18 in higher education youve got to have the + 18+ student card.

Also i think you can twmake your oyster card tobthe assistance and get a refund for your unused credit because mine didnt automatically transfer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending