The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Rock Fan
I don't know, i've read rumours that it's only Ireland that are having the changes not England, I hope this turns out not to be true.

Original post by ifstatement
Minister is probably going to announce something since he is visiting the UK for a reason so who knows really... lol

Good idea for it to be changed to two years though since I know people have had trouble applying for a 2nd year visa during their first year. Less stress I guess.

Well, here's hoping.....it would seem a bit odd to me if there are no changes to the British program since the minister is visiting Britain as well as Ireland. It makes sense that they're thinking about changes now since BUNAC is being gradually phased out of the program.

2 year visas would make such a difference, during the application process and when you're actually there. It would also 'free up' the visa allocation a bit more, in that there wouldn't be the large number of people re-applying every year. I heard so many awful stories due to the long delays in this year's application cycle; people having to quit their jobs or head back to Britain because their first visa ran out in March/April time but didn't receive the second until May/June or later, despite applying as soon as the program opened.

I'd still prefer to have a system more similar to what the Australians have (unlimited two year visas) but I think this would be a step forward.

Thinking about visas, mine runs out a month today.....which means I have to leave the country in order to activate my new one on return. Originally I was thinking of going back to Britain for a visit but now I'm thinking for the same amount of money I could go to Mexico or Cuba or maybe Hawaii.....would be a lot warmer :wink:
Original post by shoegirl
You don't need to sign up to BUNAC. I found my job online as did a lot of people I've met. There's kijiji.ca and craigslist.ca plus employment agencies that you can sign up to. As for accommodation, I would wait till you get there. Then you can see which areas you like and which area you get a job in. You will met lots of people in hostels or again find roommates online. It's can feel scary arriving without a job and long term accommodation but it is very freeing. You have the freedom to look around at different places and even leave the city if you want to try elsewhere.

Good Luck!

Hope everyone is enjoying their adventures.
I am still trying to figure out exactly what I am doing. Weather is still in the 20's, 26 today :smile:. Have being enjoying still hiking and bike riding in shorts :smile:.

IMG_2937.jpg

Thanks for the advice shoegirl! I have read in a few different places now that BUNAC are not worth going with so I'm just going out on my own. Is there a good social hostel anyone can recommend to stay my first week? Moving next Thursday, can't wait!
Reply 522
Original post by lukewigham
Thanks for the advice shoegirl! I have read in a few different places now that BUNAC are not worth going with so I'm just going out on my own. Is there a good social hostel anyone can recommend to stay my first week? Moving next Thursday, can't wait!

If you're going to Vancouver then I believe the SameSun or HI Central are the most popular hostels (they're opposite each other) - similarly priced though the SameSun does have a bar.

Good luck! Shame the weather has just changed (I believe it's meant to rain for the next week) but don't let it put you off, it will stop eventually!
Original post by gemini89
If you're going to Vancouver then I believe the SameSun or HI Central are the most popular hostels (they're opposite each other) - similarly priced though the SameSun does have a bar.

Good luck! Shame the weather has just changed (I believe it's meant to rain for the next week) but don't let it put you off, it will stop eventually!

Thanks, I've read good things about SameSun before so I reckon I'll book with them. Haha, I was expecting rain! I've lived in Manchester for 4 years so I'm used to it!
it will stop eventually!

Oh ho ho, don't count on it. It's downhill in weather from here on until April now. Good in a way I guess, this way earlier ski season.
Reply 525
Oh ho ho, don't count on it. It's downhill in weather from here on until April now. Good in a way I guess, this way earlier ski season.

I don't know, we had a crazy 12 hours of non stop rain the other day/night but by the following afternoon it was sunny and 18 degrees....and I went canoeing :wink: Another funny thing, lately the weather has always been better up the mountain where I work - really cloudly and foggy in town but beautiful and warm half a mile up....but we're forecasted snow tomorrow!
yep boooo the rainy season has started oh well least we had a good summer
Anyone heard Vancouver is supposed to get a massive earthquake in the future?
Anyone heard Vancouver is supposed to get a massive earthquake in the future?

Lol earthquakes never happen in Van. They said there was supposed to be one causing a massive tsunami towards Van end of October, never happened.
Lol earthquakes never happen in Van. They said there was supposed to be one causing a massive tsunami towards Van end of October, never happened.

Yeah I read that as well and it never happened, the worst of the earthquakes happen out on Vancouver Island, Richmond may be vulnerable to a tsuami but I believe the media were just scaremongering anyway.
Reply 530

Yeah I read that as well and it never happened, the worst of the earthquakes happen out on Vancouver Island, Richmond may be vulnerable to a tsuami but I believe the media were just scaremongering anyway.

Yep, I've heard about a big earthquake due to hit the BC coast, if it was a big as some people predict then it would affect Vancouver.....this article for example (yes I know it's Global News...but hey)

The quake invariably prompted speculation about the "big one" the type of earthquake that is believed to strike off the West Coast every 500 years or so and would create a massive tsunami and cause significant damage in British Columbia and the northwestern United States. The last one was in 1700.

Brent Ward, an earth scientist at Simon Fraser University, said the big one would happen along a different fault than the one involved in Saturday's quake, on the edge of the Juan de Fuca Plate west of Vancouver Island.

That plate is moving underneath the North American Plate, said Ward, in a process known as subduction. When it finally gives way, the results would be catastrophic.

"We would get the entire West Coast of Vancouver Island being affected by a large tsunami, similar in size to the one that hit Japan," he said.

"We would get intense ground shaking throughout southwestern B.C. down into Washington and possibly into Oregon, so we would see a very huge area affected by damaged buildings, damaged roads and bridges. There would be fatalities."

Anyway, you get the idea. The same guy goes on to talk about the 7.3 quake that happened in Courtenay, Vancouver Island, in 1946, and how there's usually a similar one every 50 or so years. I live in Courtenay, oops.
Yep, I've heard about a big earthquake due to hit the BC coast, if it was a big as some people predict then it would affect Vancouver.....this article for example (yes I know it's Global News...but hey)

Anyway, you get the idea. The same guy goes on to talk about the 7.3 quake that happened in Courtenay, Vancouver Island, in 1946, and how there's usually a similar one every 50 or so years. I live in Courtenay, oops.

Whilist it is always good to be prepared, again think the media are sensationalising it all, then again this sort of thing is what sells newspapers.
Who is enjoying the snow here in Vancouver :biggrin:
Reply 533
Who is enjoying the snow here in Vancouver :biggrin:

On the Island we've had snow for just over a week now.....looking like my first ever white Christmas! Saying that though, I much prefer the snow just staying on the mountain I work at (4 metre snow base right now), rather than being in town/at my house too!
Reply 534
Hi All,

New on here

Some very helpful information on this thread. Waiting to apply for a VISA.

Bit nervy potentially giving up a relatively decent job (given how fortunate I am to have a job in current economic climate) to go away for a year to potentially come home after a year and struggle to get work of any kind but still have bills to pay.

Am I crazy to give a job up (if I get a VISA) to go on this programme?

I have travelled a bit before, worked in New Jersey for a year before my final year at Uni.

Thanks,

ps. hope all that are on the WHV are having a cracker time!
Reply 535
Hey GeoffKerr,

I'm in a similar position to yourself although the money is pretty poor compared to what other companies would pay so I guess I can justify giving it up that bit easier.

I'd say life is more about a career and taking the easy option. If anything you'd be crazy not to do it while you still can!

Did you manage to get an account with IEC last week? I completely missed it and hoping to get one with the next batch on Monday.
Reply 536
Original post by a__p
Hey GeoffKerr,

I'm in a similar position to yourself although the money is pretty poor compared to what other companies would pay so I guess I can justify giving it up that bit easier.

I'd say life is more about a career and taking the easy option. If anything you'd be crazy not to do it while you still can!

Did you manage to get an account with IEC last week? I completely missed it and hoping to get one with the next batch on Monday.

Hi a_p

Thanks for reply. Yea that's the way I am looking at it.

If anything over the past two weeks I have thought about it every day and feel it's something I want to do.

By the time I got home from work the first batch had already gone. I have booked Monday off, taking no chances.

Where in Canada you thinking of going/when?

Thanks,
Reply 537
Yeah that's good idea, I've booked Monday off too. I'm hoping to go to Banff, how about you? I'm going with gap360 so will need an online interview before I know when I start work over there.
Reply 538
To be honest I haven't really decided yet, but most likely Vancouver.
Good luck tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Reply 539
Hey I'm looking to go to Canada on the IEC scheme after I graduate from uni next summer- I was hoping could someone tell me how recent the medical and ACPO have to be before I apply? And if I apply to go in August, do I get to stay for a whole year or only until the end of 2014 and then have to re-apply for 2015 from within Canada if I want to stay longer?

Quick Reply

Latest