The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxmijxx
ahhh still not got our teacher numbers got an assignment in for after half term though! teaching starts this week so hopefully it wont all fall apart now!!!

There have been problems activating the teacher numbers. Because it used to be administrated by the GTC which doesn't exist anymore, the Teaching Agency had messed something up this time and the Pearson Vue system for booking the tests didn't recognise the numbers.

On Friday they said they'd just uploaded 9,000 TRNs and that they should all be ready by today, so check with your university. I'd been given mine, but until yesterday morning it didn't work when I tried to register.
I'd rather never know them haha! I'd forgotten about all that. Think I may try just after xmas. My provider said they'd give extra support only if you fail it the first time. I fear it'll be me!!
After yesterday's maths practice I'm fairly certain that I will fail it first time... It's the very simple maths that I havnt used for 8 years that is tripping me up, the stats part I'm fine with! I've got two assignments due in this week, don't even know where to start with one of them!

I'm not teaching my first lesson for a few weeks yet due to timetable restrictions at my school. Only in one day a week, this week in enrichment activities all day and the week after half term students are doing assessments all week so will be the week after. Week 8 and I still can't picture myself at the front of a class! Done a starter that was sprung on me and it was terrible :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hope its going well for everyone still !
@masamune1989 - how do you book the skills test? we havent been told - they seem to want us to figure it all out ourseves!

Ive taught my first 4 lessons now and its going wel so its a good feeling at the moment!! Still stressed since theres just SOOO much work to do!....
Original post by masamune1989
After yesterday's maths practice I'm fairly certain that I will fail it first time... It's the very simple maths that I havnt used for 8 years that is tripping me up, the stats part I'm fine with! I've got two assignments due in this week, don't even know where to start with one of them!

I'm not teaching my first lesson for a few weeks yet due to timetable restrictions at my school. Only in one day a week, this week in enrichment activities all day and the week after half term students are doing assessments all week so will be the week after. Week 8 and I still can't picture myself at the front of a class! Done a starter that was sprung on me and it was terrible :s

You'll find your feet, promise. I taught some absolute shockers whilst training, but I'm still here!

Original post by ponpon14
Hope its going well for everyone still !
@masamune1989 - how do you book the skills test? we havent been told - they seem to want us to figure it all out ourseves!

Ive taught my first 4 lessons now and its going wel so its a good feeling at the moment!! Still stressed since theres just SOOO much work to do!....

You have to go to https://www6.pearsonvue.com/testtaker/signin/SignInPage/TDA and click the link on the right ("Create a web account") where you register by putting in your TRN and your name. :smile:

I'm not teaching 'til the week beginning 12th November, which is nice in some ways because I've got a lot of time to prepare. But I'm also getting a bit impatient and trying to plan lessons when I haven't even met my pupils yet! (I'll have been in school observing for a week by the time I start teaching though.)
I just searched on google for booking the skills tests and the Pearsonvue website came up. You need to register and put in your TRN number and it registers you!

On a plus note, I managed to get in the 70% region today on my skills test practice and 94% for the English one so hopefully all will be ok.

Thanks for the confidence re finding my feet, hopefully all will go well. I'm teaching a lesson on using evidence and the Irish potato famine :s never done it before so will be a learning curve. Luckily the group I am teaching it to are a really nice year 7 group so hopefully they will play nice and all will go swimmingly.

Is there anywhere in NI you can do the tests?
Reply 1628
ah well will keep me eyes out, thought i was teaching yesterday as I had the wrong week down but looks like its today luckily it meant my mentor could look over my lesson plan and point out that I had missed out my presentation in my planning, not feeling entirely confident however gotto start somewhere right! gnna ask about the teaching number on Friday :/ after al the graduate tests ive done im hoping ill be ok!
Reply 1629
Try doing Teach First :tongue: that's a real bugger!!
My first post on here, hope everyone is still enjoying the course! I am in my 4th week of school placement, and had a really rubbish day today. I am completely exhausted all the time, and i am yet to start planning yet..starting to panic about how i will cope! Does anyone else feel like this? Came home today and had a good cry, i just keep thinking it will all be worth it in the end. Roll on tomorrow, its a new day!
Reply 1631
I had a bit of a break down yesterday my lesson well but all my usual nervous ticks (as a performer id already dealt with ALL of the things she mentioned before, and I'm knackered all the time again and know I have plenty more to do! ....However just got to hold your head up shake the day off and start again! We all knew how stressful it'd be and it'll be well worth it in the end (been promised it will by some recent NQT's :P
Original post by MissLadyBird
My first post on here, hope everyone is still enjoying the course! I am in my 4th week of school placement, and had a really rubbish day today. I am completely exhausted all the time, and i am yet to start planning yet..starting to panic about how i will cope! Does anyone else feel like this? Came home today and had a good cry, i just keep thinking it will all be worth it in the end. Roll on tomorrow, its a new day!

I'm not doing PGCE but I'm in first year teaching English abroad. I felt like a good cry today too :hugs:
How are people stressed already when they're not even teaching, let alone full timetable! I'm still waiting for the stress to hit me, first 2 lessons I'm teaching after half term. I have an essay due in 2 weeks, already half way and I want to get it out of the way before half term.

I guess I'm lucky as I'm at a great school with a supportive mentor. If that's not your experience I can understand the upset.
How are people stressed already when they're not even teaching, let alone full timetable! I'm still waiting for the stress to hit me, first 2 lessons I'm teaching are after half term. I have an essay due in 2 weeks, already half way and I want to get it out of the way before half term.

I guess I'm lucky as I'm at a great school with a supportive mentor. If that's not your experience I can understand the upset.
Original post by StarBabyCat
How are people stressed already when they're not even teaching, let alone full timetable! I'm still waiting for the stress to hit me, first 2 lessons I'm teaching are after half term. I have an essay due in 2 weeks, already half way and I want to get it out of the way before half term.

I guess different people have different stress levels. I'm feeling it quite a bit because I was ill for a few days of my orientation weeks so I feel quite behind. I fainted in the middle of harvest festival so I'm worried that I've made a bad first impression on the parents. My mentor is lovely but very laid back and last minute. When we go back after half term I'm teaching 30% timetable however I can't do any planning yet as don't have the medium term planning. The majority of my friends already have theirs and have a good idea what they're doing, so again I feel at a bit of a disadvantage.
We have a Science academic poster due in next week and I've never really done one before, I'm not really sure what I'm doing, it's the first time it's been done so I'm not sure the university know either.

I'm sure after the posters in, I've had a few days at home with my family who I haven't seen in ages and I've got the medium term planning so I can get to grips with what I have to teach I'll feel much better, but at the moment I feel a bit down!
I had my first teaching week this week: 2 days worth of lessons to plan and then teach. I felt very stressed last Thursday and then my car broke on Friday *rolls eyes*, but this week has been good :smile: I had a 'good' with 'excellent' for my profesionlism, values and relationship with pupils on my first official observation and my mentor has said I am off to a really strong start, which is a relief to hear! I think the planning is the most stressful part!!! They take me agessss, although I think I have gotten a bit quicker.Hopefully I'll speed up in time (hopefully soner rather than later!).

I LOVE my class <3 and my mentor and TA are incredibly supportive (the whole school is just super lovely) and it just makes it so much easier when it is an environment like this!
Original post by Sarang_assa
I guess different people have different stress levels. I'm feeling it quite a bit because I was ill for a few days of my orientation weeks so I feel quite behind. I fainted in the middle of harvest festival so I'm worried that I've made a bad first impression on the parents. My mentor is lovely but very laid back and last minute. When we go back after half term I'm teaching 30% timetable however I can't do any planning yet as don't have the medium term planning. The majority of my friends already have theirs and have a good idea what they're doing, so again I feel at a bit of a disadvantage.
We have a Science academic poster due in next week and I've never really done one before, I'm not really sure what I'm doing, it's the first time it's been done so I'm not sure the university know either.

I'm sure after the posters in, I've had a few days at home with my family who I haven't seen in ages and I've got the medium term planning so I can get to grips with what I have to teach I'll feel much better, but at the moment I feel a bit down!

I am in the same position. I start teaching 30% week after next, and i am yet to receive medium term planning. Everybody else on my course seem to have planned and be all organised, so i feel a little bit in limbo. Hopefully we will both get them soon, and be well on the way with the planning!!
Half term :smile:

Reply 1639
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I too am feeling very stressed and unprepared I have just finished my first week at school. Although overall it went quite well I just feel quite overwhelmed by it all. I keep thinking about all the things we have to get done as well as teaching. I also start my first real teaching after half term I have to plan the weeks maths eeek.

The thing i'm struggling most about is the weekly reflection evaluation does anyone have any tips??? Also my class teacher is my mentor so a little worried about what I say.

Hope everyone is getting on well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending