The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello people :smile:

Offer for physical NatSci at Queens' here - A*AA :smile: and also got a nice little offer from Nottingham to ice the rather splendid cake that today has been - 5/5 for me :biggrin:

Well done to all offer holders - can see some familiar faces still standing which pleases me.

My thoughts go out to those who can no longer be with us, and those currently in the pool swimming for their lives...
Original post by bananarama2
You must be really good, I'm guessing Grade 8 Distinction? (I failed my grade 8 ruling out orchestra possibilities). I have no idea how to play that :lol: I have a feeling this is going to be a whole new experience.

Nearly all the orchestras besides CUMS are non-auditioning. :tongue: Grade 8, but not distinction.
Original post by ukdragon37
Nearly all the orchestras besides CUMS are non-auditioning. :tongue: Grade 8, but not distinction.

I couldn't handle the shame of not being able to count the rests though :biggrin:

Edit: I love the acronym CUMS...
Hello. What extra curricular things does everyone want to get up to in Cambridge? [assuming you make your offer]

Joining the orchestras and stuff (it's supposed to be amazing at Clare!). There'll probably be really cool societies with intellectual conversations and stuff. I really want to join a Literature or creative writing society.
Have you got any ideas? :smile:
Reply 124
:yep: Fourth year.

Used to in college orchestra, but recently I stopped because of work. Looking to start again but in a uni orchestra like the Philharmonic though. Also I play Bridge sometimes too.

Have met anyone (yourself?) on an instrumental award? Just wondering on the chances :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Original post by PapercutMagnet
That is so strange. :s-smilie: Do you know which college that's for?

Emmanuel I think? This would be really awks if you were him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythianLegume
Good to see another Clareite (is that the correct word?) on here, haven't seen as many as is justified by how subscribed they are. If we meet our offers, you'll know me because I'll be the only one doing Education with Physical Sciences :tongue:

I'm a 'Clare-ite'! We might actually be in the same lectures because I'm doing Bio/phys NatSci hopefully. :smile:
Original post by Oboe1994
Emmanuel I think? This would be really awks if you were him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not me :L I'm a girl and I've been asked for an A in English for NatSci. Oh and I'm for Clare.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Selym95
Out of interest, why did you take a gap-year? and what subjects did you get them in? I'm considering a gap-year quite seriously

Personal ill health (I self taught myself my A2s) and the fact that a gap year would a. give me the chance to apply to Cambridge after messing up UCAS last year and b. I had loads of opportunities to prepare for the degree like doing a GCSE in Latin and volunteer work. The offer I held was ABB for a university that I didn't want an a course I didn't want to do - it was a no brainer for me.

I got A*s in Classical Civilisation, Politics and an A in History. The A is expected to rise to an A* when I resit coursework next month as I was really ill when it was being produced last year.

Gap years are difficult and sometimes you feel really lonely but its all worth it when you get into the university you wanted to - let me tell you! x
Have met anyone (yourself?) on an instrumental award? Just wondering on the chances :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, but I've met plenty who applied. They seem to be really picky and even reject some who have DipABRSM.

I couldn't handle the shame of not being able to count the rests though :biggrin:

Edit: I love the acronym CUMS...

It wasn't deliberate or anything :rolleyes:
Original post by Ollie 94
Yes I am! Unconditional for MML (German and Italian) at Selwyn! Still can't quite believe it :smile: What did you apply for? Which college?

Well done! Classics, Jesus - happy days! See you in October! Though I might try and get down earlier if I can extend my tenancy thing haha x
Reply 131
It's not me :L I'm a girl and I've been asked for an A in English for NatSci.

Pahah ok, is English by any chance your 4th a-level? Cos of so I've seen quite a few 4 grade offers about so it's nothing to worry about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThePastyManCan
I doubt they'll care very much, if the college is nice they'll let you count the grade you get in Maths in your offer - if their policy is to not include A-Levels already completed then you'd probably get the A*AA normal one. You can usually only get unconditional if you've already got the grades i.e. you've done a gap year etc.

Hmm the problem isn't the type of offer, but the likeliness of getting one aha!
Reply 133
Nope, but I've met plenty who applied. They seem to be really picky and even reject some who have DipABRSM.

Sounds like a ball... Ah well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
The closest thing to Physics is Physical Natural Sciences or Maths With Physics, so my answer is going to assume an application to one of those.

The thing which Cambridge dislike about doing Maths early is that your skills go rusty if you don't use them, which is the reason gap years tend to be discouraged for the subject. As such, if you do all of your Maths by the end of year 12, they're not going to like it. However, I don't believe it would count against you if you were doing Further Maths in the A2 year, as your Maths skills stay sufficiently fresh and Further Maths is mandatory for Maths/Physics and either mandatory or highly desirable for PhysNatSci anyway. As such, my advice would be to do Further Maths in Year 13 (If you're not already) to keep yourself sharp. There's also the possibility that they ask you to take STEP if they're not sufficiently satisfied in their assessment of your mathematical ability.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Cambridge Admissions Tutor, and my suggestions are not necessarily representative of what actually happens, so take them with a pinch of salt. :tongue: )

Im doing FM already, so that's a relief, okay better get back to work exams start in 5 days :redface: Thank you!
Original post by Ollie 94
Thanks, you too! I don't know if I'll be able to resist visiting Cambridge before October.. :rolleyes: although it might spoil the excitement of freshers week!

Haha, I think I'm going down on Monday just to bask in it... so bad. I'm giving myself till the end of today (six minutes!) to be 'AAAH CAMBRIDGE' and then I'll be modest. I just want to sing it from the treetops haha x
Pahah ok, is English by any chance your 4th a-level? Cos of so I've seen quite a few 4 grade offers about so it's nothing to worry about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is but the A was risky prediction (it's a long long story...) so they definitely want me to work for it! I think it's actually turned out better because now I can put A*AA for my insurance even if I don't get that A.
Reply 137
It is but the A was risky prediction (it's a long long story...) so they definitely want me to work for it! I think it's actually turned out better because now I can put A*AA for my insurance even if I don't get that A.

Blagh A*AA for insurance(!)... What has the world come to D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys I received an unconditional offer for medicine after a phone interview a few weeks ago. Was wondering if anyone else has heard?
Ps, I did 8 Highers last year and A* them all which is why I got the unconditional I assume, just for any skeptics.
Reply 139
Original post by jonnymcauley
Hey guys I received an unconditional offer for medicine after a phone interview a few weeks ago. Was wondering if anyone else has heard?
Ps, I did 8 Highers last year and A* them all which is why I got the unconditional I assume, just for any skeptics.

How come you did a phone interview from Scotland? But congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending