The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by theminimg
Newnham swaps? What are these things??
I've been in single sex education since I was four, most of us are pretty normal tbh.

On the subject of us being normal, I've been in single sex ed since I was 11 (my school now is technically mixed but there's no guys in my year haha) I'm sure it doesn't turn them all into raging sluts but it's not the other extreme either. My sister's friend was at an all girls one (st john's?) and at a fire alarm there were at least 20 guys coming out the halls too... They didn't seem to care haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 481
Original post by Oromis263
I'm not saying you're not normal :lol: But, there will be a lot of people from non-single sex education being put into a single-sex living place (education is mixed, bar supervisions). It's just a joke that is thrown around Cambridge, similar to "I'd rather be at Oxford than St John's".

I think I haven't quite got all of this stuff yet.. why is St. John's supposedly worse than Oxford?
Reply 482
Original post by Bulbasaur
Well thats exactly it, especially with what you said about luck. Hell, if i managed to get into Cambridge then they're obviously not all going to be robe-wearing bookworms. Although, the whole robe thing sounds exciting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I quite like the idea of robes. I'm not quite sure if my college does the whole robe thing though ho hum. When do you wear robes?
Reply 483
Original post by Oboe1994
On the subject of us being normal, I've been in single sex ed since I was 11 (my school now is technically mixed but there's no guys in my year haha) I'm sure it doesn't turn them all into raging sluts but it's not the other extreme either. My sister's friend was at an all girls one (st john's?) and at a fire alarm there were at least 20 guys coming out the halls too... They didn't seem to care haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well seeing as a lot of people get pooled to newnham, and lots of people apply there directly because it's rather pretty and looks friendly I'm not worried at all about either extremes - the stereotypes about all girls' schools are more than a little silly! Where do you have an offer from?
Reply 484
Well seeing as a lot of people get pooled to newnham, and lots of people apply there directly because it's rather pretty and looks friendly I'm not worried at all about either extremes - the stereotypes about all girls' schools are more than a little silly! Where do you have an offer from?

King's music, of 18 applicants there were 2 girls (all guys choir.) I hope the other chick got in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I haven't quite got all of this stuff yet.. why is St. John's supposedly worse than Oxford?

Because it's John's
Reply 486
Original post by Ascent
Computer Science for me too (but at Churchill)! What was your offer? Mine was pretty specific with A* in Further Maths, A* in Physics and and A in Maths. Glad to see that offers like this are pretty common though. Also so glad that Chemistry wasn't included!

I'm not sure yet, they said they'd update UCAS with the offer in time - I got fished y'see :biggrin:

What option will you be doing it with - natural sciences I guess? I'll be doing psychology, bit of an interesting mix haha

Original post by Llewellyn
Because it's John's

Llewellyn explains it most simply, and yet most powerfully.

It's all just friendly inter-college 'banter...' like the stereotype that everyone at Girton's been pooled; St. Johns have a reputation for being very rich and somewhat egotistical. Obviously, like any stereotype, it won't be true...there are egotistical people (rich and non-rich) everywhere, and I've never heard of anybody who doesn't think their college is the best...
Reply 489
Did anyone else here completely change their course direction just before the deadline?? i completely rewrote my PS in one night...
Reply 490
I'm so pleased to be an offer holder! And shocked as had such horrendous interviews. However, some of you know that my dad is seriously ill right now and horrifying unlikely to be around more than a year. Can't even go there to think about ths tbh :eek::s-smilie:

but, I'm now thinking if contacting my offer college to ask if in circumstances ( which they know about from my school references) can I defer place. Til afterwards ie 2014.

Any ideas or anecdotes of people deferring who hadn't asked originally?
Reply 491
Anyone for MML at Girton? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
Reply 493
Original post by johnttam
Did anyone else here completely change their course direction just before the deadline?? i completely rewrote my PS in one night...

My friend switched from something politics based to music a week before the deadline... Got an offer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 494

Just like how king's is full of gay political activists? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 495
Whats the hype about Kings ? Does it say which college you graduated from in your degree cert ?
Reply 496
Original post by cawcarrot
Whats the hype about Kings ? Does it say which college you graduated from in your degree cert ?

Nah just joking, my point was exactly that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 497
Thanks! I know my next question is a bit of a silly one because it all depends on what you make of the college etc, but how much of an all-girls-school atmosphere is there? I've been in single sex education all my life and wonder if it would bare any resemblance to where I am now! I'd always imagined that university might have been where I lived in a less female-orientated kind of place, and even though I'm not worried about it - I'm not silly enough to think that an single sex college means a single sex life, how much does it matter? The prospectus seems to suggest that people at Newnham are v enthusiastic participating in university societies etc, but is there a lot that goes on with college life as well?

Another small point - music! I'm not quite sure if they have a choir - do they? I don't think they have an orchestra, and while I'm good enough to be in a school orchestra, grade 8 alone on a v popular instrument doesn't give me much chance in a university orchestra with people studying music!

The gardens and the buildings are beautiful! What is the accommodation like inside?

Although Newnham gets a lot of direct applicants, many people (like me!) get fished, does this matter in the end that a lot of the people there might not have chosen it originally?

Sorry... That was another rather long message!

Don't worry about asking lots of question! I was just the same.

Firstly, I applied directly to Newnham although was quite worried about it being girls only, as I've always been in mixed education. However, I'm now quite glad as (in my opinion) the only real difference it seems to make is that people are more relaxed about walking round college in their pyjamas, which makes college seem more homely, and the kitchens are cleaner (presumably... although maybe not judging from the state of mine!). I don't think it makes much difference whether you've come from a mixed or girls only school as you get use to wherever you are so quickly and you can spend as much, or as little time in college as you like.

Many people are part of uni societies, which is good for meeting people outside your college and course, although all colleges have their own sports societies. Newnham also has a music society which included a small selective choir, an anyone who wants to turn up choir and some sort of small chamber orchestra. There is also an orchestra which rehearses the week before the Christmas concert in order to perform then. I'm part of the normal choir, which is really good and very low commitment, and played in the orchestra for Christmas - if you're grade 8 then you'll definitely be fine to play in it (I'm not and struggled slightly, although it was still good fun!). There are many, many uni music societies and groups though, so I'm sure you'll be able to find a more relaxed one.

A lot of people at Newnham are pooled, although everyone I've asked has said they're glad to have been pooled as they much prefer it to their original college! This, combined with being all girls, I think sometimes make people more keen to prove that Newnham is just as good as any other college (if not better!) although our college bar really isn't the hub of college life as it is elsewhere.

Finally, college accommodation is generally very good but does vary a lot. It's all shared bathrooms, so many people have sinks in their rooms, and most rooms are a decent size with a view of the garden if your lucky! I've done particularly well as I've got a massive room with a view of the garden (and whatever others may try to tell you, living in Peile is not like being in exile!!) College is essentially one long corridor, as it's many building linked together, so you can go anywhere without having to put shoes on!

I hope this has answered all your question - let me know if not! I'm sorry it's so long!!
Reply 498
Is anyone else still stuggling to believe that they have an offer? I am still in a state of shock and haven't stopped smiling! :biggrin:
Reply 499
Original post by Noonoo
I'm so pleased to be an offer holder! And shocked as had such horrendous interviews. However, some of you know that my dad is seriously ill right now and horrifying unlikely to be around more than a year. Can't even go there to think about ths tbh :eek::s-smilie:

but, I'm now thinking if contacting my offer college to ask if in circumstances ( which they know about from my school references) can I defer place. Til afterwards ie 2014.

Any ideas or anecdotes of people deferring who hadn't asked originally?

this shouldnt be a problem so long as you explain ASAP. they always like to know in advance and will probably ask you why you didnt specifically request deferred entry originally. But they would have to be very callous not to accept your circumstances

Latest

Trending

Trending