The Student Room Group

As Biology Unit1 9th Jan 2013

has anyone any predictions on what essay will come up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a feeling semi conservative replication will come up and protein structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
can i talk about the exam now? let me know if u cant. how did u find it?..le horrible?
Reply 3
Original post by Huntx
can i talk about the exam now? let me know if u cant. how did u find it?..le horrible?

Because it was a morning exam, we can't talk about it untill midnight. But I'm DYING to hear peoples views!
Original post by razia
Because it was a morning exam, we can't talk about it untill midnight. But I'm DYING to hear peoples views!

According to the rules "Exams from the examination boards AQA, OCR, CCEA, WJEC and CIE (other than orals and practicals) are fine to talk about straight after the exams because these boards are UK based only." it's safe to talk about it now! Only edexcel morning exams can't be talked about prior to midnight.

So, what's everyone's thoughts?!
Reply 5
Hasn't enough time passed?
Reply 6
Guys what did you think of the biology exam?
We need an unoffical mark scheme.
Reply 7
Original post by Ayesh123
Guys what did you think of the biology exam?
We need an unoffical mark scheme.

definitely need an unofficial mark scheme asap :u:
Reply 8
second last question on cell surface membrane.. something similar has came up previous on june 2010 paper the mark scheme was as follows:

1 (Simple / facilitated) diffusion from high to low
concentration / down concentration gradient;
2 Small / non-polar / lipid-soluble molecules pass via
phospholipids / bilayer;
OR
Large / polar / water-soluble molecules go through
proteins;
3 Water moves by osmosis / from high water potential
to low water potential / from less to more negative
water potential;
4 Active transport is movement from low to high
concentration / against concentration gradient;
5 Active transport / facilitated diffusion involves proteins
/ carriers;
6 Active transport requires energy / ATP;
7 glucose co-transport;

and also for the atheroma question similar question came up on jan 2010 and the mark scheme was as follows:

1. Cholesterol / plaque / lipoprotein / LDL / fatty
material / cells;
2. In artery wall / under lining / endothelium of artery /
blood vessel;
3. Atheroma linked to blood clot / thrombosis;
4. (Blocks) coronary artery / artery supplying heart
muscle / tissue / cells;
5. Reduces oxygen / glucose supply (to heart muscle /
tissues / cells);
6. (Heart muscle / tissue / cells) unable to respire /
dies;
Reply 9
guys atleast rate this exam before your comments..(EASY, TOUGH, AVERAGE, HARDER/EASIER then AVERAGE)..and if u did the june 12 howd u compare it with this one? Personally i found it harder then average.
Reply 10
I found this exam quite hard to be far:/ I just hope that the grade boundaries are low:/ anyone else got two exams tmrw?
Reply 11
Okay I liked it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
when I first looked at the questions I had a mini panic attack kept skipping questions, but went okay I think. Biology is one of them subjects that you don't know what you get marks for have to wait and see guys!
the 2nd question about the tRNA was horrible btw
The question about the people's heart rates in the doctors offices and the HIV vaccines really threw me, anybody any ideas about answers?
Reply 15
Original post by Huntx
guys atleast rate this exam before your comments..(EASY, TOUGH, AVERAGE, HARDER/EASIER then AVERAGE)..and if u did the june 12 howd u compare it with this one? Personally i found it harder then average.

HARD!! :frown:
it was all application and barely and solid knowledge...
at least the grade boundaries will be lower :smile:
Reply 16
also the question relating inhibitors and cancer was hard to answer, i wasnt sure what they wanted!!
this looked like a edexcel thread what the hell happened lol
Reply 18
I started writing of with really neat handwriting, but bad idea cause I ran out of time and had to rush the last question and Daphnia one! Oh and what was the high risk cholesterol question asking?
Did anyone of you mention how to perform gene therapy for the last one, or was it just describing the investigation?
Isn't this a CCEA thread? I'm getting worried because I don't remember any of the questions you guys are talking about. Plus most of the stuff that's being mentioned here isn't on the CCEA AS syllabus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending