The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I keep experiencing a slight discomfort when people say "have a great year at Cambridge". Any mathmos feeling the same?...
Reply 1001
Original post by wibletg
I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!

Cheers for that my freind " GEORDIES!!!!!!":smile:
Original post by TheHaylio
Track just updated :biggrin:

Newnham- Land Ec

St John's - Land Ec :biggrin:
Original post by wibletg
I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!

I've found that people like my accent more in England than they do at home....even if I am frequently asked to impersonate Mrs Doyle/Father Jack from Father Ted...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Anyone at Emmanuel? And any phys natscis? :smile:
Reply 1005
Original post by Lord of the Flies
I keep experiencing a slight discomfort when people say "have a great year at Cambridge". Any mathmos feeling the same?...

Not an mathmo, but NatSci so pretty close.

Depends on what you mean. I wouldn't say it's discomfort, more like a sudden realisation that I'm actually going to study there and it's kind of mixture of excitement and insecureness. Something like: yeah, this is awesome, but haven't I perhaps put to much weight on my shoulders? After all, it's quite a big deal, isn't it.

Original post by Artemis 97
Anyone at Emmanuel? And any phys natscis?

Not Emma, but Phys Nat-Sci. What subjects do you intend to choose?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Artemis 97
Anyone at Emmanuel? And any phys natscis? :smile:

Christ, we have Emma PhysNatScis coming out of the walls!

banarama2
X

LAstudent
X

Meg94
X

There is also a facebook group for NatSci offer holders if you wish to PM me about joining it. :smile: Well done on your offer!
Reply 1007
Original post by Nyolg

Depends on what you mean. I wouldn't say it's discomfort, more like a sudden realisation that I'm actually going to study there and it's kind of mixture of excitement and insecureness. Something like: yeah, this is awesome, but haven't I perhaps put to much weight on my shoulders? After all, it's quite a big deal, isn't it.

I have a feeling he's talking about the fact that 40-50% of maths offer holders miss their offer.
Reply 1008
Original post by und
I have a feeling he's talking about the fact that 40-50% of maths offer holders miss their offer.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/subjects.html#maths

I thought you might be exagerating, but you aren't are you? Gulp.

Presumably the entry requirements for Maths are quite a lot more than the standard A*AA?
Reply 1009
Original post by bb193

Presumably the entry requirements for Maths are quite a lot more than the standard A*AA?

One of the requirements is to get grade 1 in STEP papers II and III, which is indeed much more difficult than A*AA.
Original post by gabriejike
St John's - Land Ec :biggrin:

yayyy!
What is your offer? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bb193

He's not exaggerating at all. It's probably easiest to get an offer for maths - but the standard requirement exceeds all other subjects in difficulty.

Original post by Nyolg

The reason I mentioned mathmos is because half of us will end up losing our places.

Original post by und

Indeed.
Track finally updated. :biggrin:
Firmed Cambridge on UCAS :biggrin:
Reply 1014
Pembroke maths here :smile:
Original post by Powerfrau
We were! No, I didn't meet many either- several MMLers, the only other linguist and yes, what seemed to be loads of architects! So, is your offer reasonable? :tongue:

It's reasonable - A*AAA (since I'm doing 4 subjects), but it's not like I can slack off in any of my subjects either :biggrin:

How about yours?
Original post by Thing8
Pembroke maths here :smile:

Another!

Lord of the Flies
X

DJMayes
X
Original post by Lord of the Flies

The reason I mentioned mathmos is because half of us will end up losing our places.

Come on guys let's keep it light!
Original post by TheHaylio
yayyy!
What is your offer? :smile:

A*AA, A* in Economics
How about you?
Reply 1019
Track has updated. IT IS REAL.

Latest

Trending

Trending