The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bexxxx
Congratulations to all PGCE-ers for getting to Xmas. If you have survived this long, the rest should be plain(er) sailing. :smile:

That's genuinely great to hear, thanks so much :smile:
Thank you! Only 3 more weeks on placement 1 then I'm halfway through. I love my school but I'm keen to move on now. Excited and looking forward to a change of place/faces!
Reply 1782
Surviving your first placement is a great achievement - and when you start your second one you will feel a lot more at ease, the hardest part is over!!
Reply 1783
Original post by Bexxxx
Congratulations to all PGCE-ers for getting to Xmas. If you have survived this long, the rest should be plain(er) sailing. :smile:

I damn hope so! Ive never wanted to give up on anything so much before!
Original post by Lexi99
I damn hope so! Ive never wanted to give up on anything so much before!

Everyone feels like that at some point! Keep going, you only have 6 months left!
So glad I didn't give up! I nearly quit about 4 times.
I *really* don't want to go back to School!

I've spent all morning re-reading my lesson observations and my end of placement report so that I can write a reflective piece, and it just seems as if I made no progress at all over the 2 months I was in school, at least that is what the written feedback reads like.

makes me wonder if placement 2 is just going to be more of the same, me trying, and the department not acknowledging that I'm not sitting on my laurels, I have tried different strategies.

Certainly don't want to go back to Uni, overly large percentage of aren't I wonderful, gloaters in my group.
Hi,

On a lighter note than usual, I finish my first placement next Friday and am struggling to think of a gift for my co-tutor.

She's been really helpful and efficient, and friendly in a professional sort of way, but keeps her personal life very separate so I don't really know what she likes. I've asked other colleagues and they say she doesn't drink wine, and isn't big on chocolate, etc.

Any ideas?
Original post by myrtille
Hi,

On a lighter note than usual, I finish my first placement next Friday and am struggling to think of a gift for my co-tutor.

She's been really helpful and efficient, and friendly in a professional sort of way, but keeps her personal life very separate so I don't really know what she likes. I've asked other colleagues and they say she doesn't drink wine, and isn't big on chocolate, etc.

Any ideas?

When I left my first placement last year, I went mad on Yankee Candles. Made up a gift box for my mentor, got a medium YC for my HoD and got YC reed diffusers for two other teachers I worked closely with.

I don't think there are many females who wouldn't like a yankee candle, and you could chose the colour/scent based on what you do know about her.
Reply 1789
Hi,

Any ideas?

Cant really go wrong on a big bunch of flowers!
Hi,

Any ideas?

Erm... How about a nice plant she could keep in school (if health and safety permits!!)?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app
I found this week challenging.

I'm back with my year 6 class from last term, but it had been 6 weeks since I taught them. In that time they have had the Christmas holidays and in school had pretty much only been doign Christmas rehersal with a couple of lesons thrown in. My class teacher was ill the first half of the week, so I took the class on my own with some half my own planning and half his. They have been SO fussy and silly. On Tuesday, before we did anything, I gave them a proper dressing down and they were much better. My teacher was back in on Wednesday, and in the morning they were okay, but fussier. In afternoon, I had them ,last session, after they had an hour of playing hockey games against one another, so they were pretty pent up. My lesson was observed the last session and I'd planned for a very interactive, group session. It was a RE lesson, and they were working in groups to make presentations about the laws against Jews in Nazi Germany and were then goign to prsent to the class. That part was okay, but my starter went terribly! I was playing Just a Mintue with them and told them before we started that they weren't to shout out anything to one another, tell people what to say or generally make a fuss and act silly. I had to stop and tell them SO many times and oher times resorted to standing still, gloering at them and just waiting. It was painful. Most, to their credit, were fien after the first two warnings, but repeat offenders just kept on doing it. I dished out minutes to them. I felt terrible after it and felt like crying :frown: I haven't had observation sheet back yet, butit definitely isn't as good as my previous lessons I don't think. My teacher could tell I was upset about it and told me that he's impressed how much my confidence has grown with behaviour management and that for him, the last 2 weeks were painful for him with teaching as they were so fussy and silly and not behaving as he asked. He said that y6 get worse as the year ges on, rather than better and because of their lead roles in the Christmas play and having 2 weeks of Christmas, they have come back feeling rather high an mighty! He said thatif you look at the quality of learning, they had learnt loads. So hopefully it's okay, but such a rubbish day...

Yesterday was much better though and in themorning before I started teaching, I bumped into a parent, who said that her son talks loads about me at home and that he normally hates writing, but I have been making it really fun and interesting for them and he's really enjoying it. Felt so good to be told that and I really needed it!
Original post by angel_night
I found this week challenging.

I'm back with my year 6 class from last term, but it had been 6 weeks since I taught them. In that time they have had the Christmas holidays and in school had pretty much only been doign Christmas rehersal with a couple of lesons thrown in. My class teacher was ill the first half of the week, so I took the class on my own with some half my own planning and half his. They have been SO fussy and silly. On Tuesday, before we did anything, I gave them a proper dressing down and they were much better. My teacher was back in on Wednesday, and in the morning they were okay, but fussier. In afternoon, I had them ,last session, after they had an hour of playing hockey games against one another, so they were pretty pent up. My lesson was observed the last session and I'd planned for a very interactive, group session. It was a RE lesson, and they were working in groups to make presentations about the laws against Jews in Nazi Germany and were then goign to prsent to the class. That part was okay, but my starter went terribly! I was playing Just a Mintue with them and told them before we started that they weren't to shout out anything to one another, tell people what to say or generally make a fuss and act silly. I had to stop and tell them SO many times and oher times resorted to standing still, gloering at them and just waiting. It was painful. Most, to their credit, were fien after the first two warnings, but repeat offenders just kept on doing it. I dished out minutes to them. I felt terrible after it and felt like crying :frown: I haven't had observation sheet back yet, butit definitely isn't as good as my previous lessons I don't think. My teacher could tell I was upset about it and told me that he's impressed how much my confidence has grown with behaviour management and that for him, the last 2 weeks were painful for him with teaching as they were so fussy and silly and not behaving as he asked. He said that y6 get worse as the year ges on, rather than better and because of their lead roles in the Christmas play and having 2 weeks of Christmas, they have come back feeling rather high an mighty! He said thatif you look at the quality of learning, they had learnt loads. So hopefully it's okay, but such a rubbish day...

Yesterday was much better though and in themorning before I started teaching, I bumped into a parent, who said that her son talks loads about me at home and that he normally hates writing, but I have been making it really fun and interesting for them and he's really enjoying it. Felt so good to be told that and I really needed it!

It sounds like you're being EXTREMELY harsh on yourself here. Every teacher has lessons like that, no matter how long you've been teaching. As you said despite their silliness they still learned loads. You are working with people, not machines and if the class is having a silly period then you just have to get through it. I would say I have at least 3 of those types of lessons a week (I work with younger kids, but still!) because of what they have had in the previous lesson, or something that happened at break etc etc.

Take the positives, like what that parent said to you and move on! Seriously the lesson you had now sounds like one of my better lessons in my ITT year. :smile:
Reply 1793
Just got me QTS tests done! One less thing to worry about, although I'd say practise helps a lot the tests are way easier than the practise ones for anyone else who may be stressing, I know I did!
Original post by Becca
It sounds like you're being EXTREMELY harsh on yourself here. Every teacher has lessons like that, no matter how long you've been teaching. As you said despite their silliness they still learned loads. You are working with people, not machines and if the class is having a silly period then you just have to get through it. I would say I have at least 3 of those types of lessons a week (I work with younger kids, but still!) because of what they have had in the previous lesson, or something that happened at break etc etc.

Take the positives, like what that parent said to you and move on! Seriously the lesson you had now sounds like one of my better lessons in my ITT year. :smile:

Thanks Becca, I do feel a lot better now. I have some personal problems at the moment, and I think I just needed one more thing to just tip me over the edge a bit!

I have some really fun things planned for the class this week which I am looking forward to, so hopefully things we will have a good week!
Placement A done! :biggrin:

(and with an early finish due to snow)
Placement A done! :biggrin:

(and with an early finish due to snow)

I have 1 week left but I don't want to leave!! :frown: Happy that I'm at halfway point though...
Can a school take you on for placement if they are about to be OFSTED-ed? The school I am about to go to is due a level 5 inspection sometime between now and July, and by the sounds of things, its a make or break one, because the last 2 smaller inspections were not very good.
Reply 1798
Original post by smartarse1983
Can a school take you on for placement if they are about to be OFSTED-ed? The school I am about to go to is due a level 5 inspection sometime between now and July, and by the sounds of things, its a make or break one, because the last 2 smaller inspections were not very good.

You can go to the school that is due to be OFSTED-ed and many of my friends have, in fact if you get observed teaching it can help your chances of getting a job (according to my lecturers). I am suprised your uni is sending you to a school thats almost in special measures or is though. Perhaps speak to your tutor and express your concerns.
Original post by smartarse1983

Yes they can if they have proven somehow that they can support you (I was at a placement in a school with similar circumstances and it was actually a great school). However, when Ofsted were in we were told not to teach and the normal teacher took the lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending