The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IanLim93
Hmm Rooney has jst return from an injury, that my concern. Wouldn't surprise me to see me a three man midfield with Valencia and Young on the wings.

I think that we definitely need players like Rooney/Cleverley in midfield to track back and provide some pressure on Tottenham quick and creative players, such as Lennon/Bale who are in good form. I think that Valencia will start but his form hasnt been great amd Nani provides a greater attacking threat atm while Valencia will help out more defensively. I feel Tottenham will play a 4-5-1 , with a team such as
Lloris
BAE Vertoghen Dawson Walker
Bale Parker Dembele Dempsey Lennon
Defoe
(edited 11 years ago)
Hmm Rooney has jst return from an injury, that my concern. Wouldn't surprise me to see me a three man midfield with Valencia and Young on the wings.

Not sure if we should start with scholes, especially with his lack of mobility.

And his tackling is atrocious:tongue: His passing is superb though, cleverley would be good as well.
Reply 702
Cleverley and Carrick is developing into a very competent partnership, no need to break it up. I'd be worried that Carrick/Scholes wouldn't be able to deal with the physicality of their side, particularly Dembele, and Cleverley's work rate makes us look a lot more secure defensively.

Original post by samiz20891
I think that we definitely need players like Rooney/Cleverley in midfield to track back and provide some pressure on Tottenham quick and creative players, such as Lennon/Bale who are in good form. I think that Valencia will start but his form hasnt been great amd Nani provides a greater attacking threat atm while Valencia will help out more defensively. I feel Tottenham will play a 4-5-1 , with a team such as
Lloris
Defoe

It'll be that (switched over) but more of a 4-4-1-1, Dempsey will play closer to Defoe than to the midfield. Not sure about the personnel in their defence either, dunno if BAE is match fit yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Paul Pogba scoring an absolute screamer for Juve, he kinda reminds me of Balotelli with the hair and the build, he might be there key CDM for years to come :frown:
Match thread's up, discuss there :h:
Reply 705
Original post by rockrunride
Match thread's up, discuss there :h:

Here, to clarify. :h:
Original post by samiz20891
Lloris
Defoe

I do agree we probably need Rooney's work rate in the team, but i'm not sure his match fitness will be up to pace. If anderson wasn't injured for awhile, i would have put him in the game. The big plus for us is that Sandro isn't playing, Parker has only really just started playing games.

Original post by cheetahs56
And his tackling is atrocious:tongue: His passing is superb though, cleverley would be good as well.

Hmm i wouldn't mind seeing a Cleverley, Carrick and Rooney/Anderson midfield.
I do agree we probably need Rooney's work rate in the team, but i'm not sure his match fitness will be up to pace. If anderson wasn't injured for awhile, i would have put him in the game. The big plus for us is that Sandro isn't playing, Parker has only really just started playing games.

Hmm i wouldn't mind seeing a Cleverley, Carrick and Rooney/Anderson midfield.

IMO think we need Valencia in there, purely to support Rafael with GB.
oops...

[video="youtube;g8rf1wPq6R4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8rf1wPq6R4[/video]
Reply 709
Yet another example of the incredible bias the refs show us. Oh wait.
Meh..probably a fair result in the end.
Can't complain- fair result and we've done that so many times we're bound to get it sometimes. Need to move on.
Man Utd only mustered 4 attempts in 90 minutes, on the other hand spurs had 15 so very fair result.
Surprised to the extent man utd sat back and defended, maybe fatigue or weather.
Rooney should have had a penalty but all in all fair result.
Spurs deserved a point from that but gutted to concede so late on, especially after that Rooney penalty wasn't given (has to be contender for refereeing cock up of the season that, clear as they come)
Reply 714
I'd like to say it was a wise move playing more defensively against a very strong Tottenham, but I don't really think it was. We didn't really have any meaningful possession and, after the goal, Spurs looked like scoring the whole time. We were literally just waiting for it to come. It nearly paid off though, and you could even argue that a draw was much more than we deserved so it did in fact work. But that was only the case because we chose to invite the pressure. Maybe should've had a penalty from the foul on Rooney, but I'd have taken a draw before the game and did expect we'd only come away with a point at best. To gain it in that manner isn't nice though.
Reply 715
Decent point I think. These are our games leading up to the City head-to-head:

Southampton (H)
Fulham (A)
Everton (H)
QPR (A)
Norwich (H)
West Ham (A)
Reading (H)
Sunderland (A)

Looks quite good I think. Obviously Everton will be tricky, but the rest of them look very winnable.
Reply 716
Can't wait til Nani is fit enough that we play and bring him o instead of Valencia.

Jones workrate was fantastic but the guy was a waste of space in every other department. Pass accuracy was dreadful for a holding mid and just wasted so many chances to break, or keep possession.

We shouldn't have kept 3 strikers on when they were playing down the wings so much, we should have had a 3rd sub too.
Original post by VQG
Decent point I think. These are our games leading up to the City head-to-head:

Southampton (H)
Fulham (A)
Everton (H)
QPR (A)
Norwich (H)
West Ham (A)
Reading (H)
Sunderland (A)

Looks quite good I think. Obviously Everton will be tricky, but the rest of them look very winnable.

City have
QPR (A)
Liverpool (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Aston Villa (A)
Wigan (H)
Everton (A)
Newcastle (H)

I'm confident we will increase the point gap between us before the derby.
Reply 718
Decent result that I would have taken before the game, still feel disappointed though. Jones was fantastic, along with Rafael he completely shut off Bale and for the vast majority of the game we looked fairly secure. Rio deserves a mention too, had a great game in spite of all the pre match doubters and his block on Defoe was great. I thought we were tactically spot on until Valencia came on for Cleverley, that seemed like a substitution looking to get the second goal, and tbh we looked completely solid before that so I don't think it was needed. Dempsey chance aside perhaps.

I thought if we kept the Cleverley-Carrick-Jones trio in midfield we'd have the 3 points right now, or even just keeping 3 midfielders on the pitch, because for all of their pressure I didn't really feel worried Spurs would get a goal. Obviously SAF felt differently and gambled that we'd get the next goal, we didn't, but I suppose in his defence if the ref made the right calls we're probably discussing a fairly comfortable win right now.
Reply 719
Don't think there was any problem with the general gameplan, it was similar to the last few seasons at WHL where we play on the counter and it was working for ~70 minutes. There were some good opportunities to break with Welbeck and Kagawa/Rooney, but once Valencia came on instead of being dangerous on the counter with quick accurate passes that Cleverley/Kagawa provided, we lost possession far too quickly with misplaced/slow passing from Valencia/Jones and invited more pressure as Spurs no longer were too worried about the counter.

Latest