The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really think if we bring Victor Wanyama, WE WILL have the perfect team for about 10 years or so. We will have the perfect central midfield more specifically. I mean you got 5 midfielders (not including Scholzy) that can dominate midfield for at least five years. E.g. You can have High pressure, Technical,Tick-taki football games by using Cleverley, Anderson/Kagawa, Carrick. But now we have another dimension to to the team, You can bring Victor Wanyama to play that deeper role and soak up pressure from opposite attacks and protecting back four,and also have Carrick along side him to initiate attacks (although Victor Wanyama can distrubute balls very well!). I mean we can adapt to any sort of situation that come against us and give attackers confidence to do their job and attack-it gives us stability, especially in europe.

What makes it even better and an extra incentive to bring him is that he 21 years old and is whole heartedly a MAN UTD fan, he genuinely is by saying it in all his interviews, some quotes:
#
SG: Growing up what was your favourite team?

VW: My favourite team has been Man United

SG: Who will win the African Nations Cup, the English Premiership and the Champions League?

VW: I think it’s hard to predict, but I will say African cup will be Zambia; the EPL Man United and Champions league will be Barça

SG: Besides Celtic what team do you follow week in and week out?

VW: Very easy, Man United

from.http://strictlygentlemen.com/interview/2013/1/23/celtics-victor-wanyama-discusses-fashion-gadgets-and-soccer

Find many more in youtube to.

What else do you want, I mean how many players before coming to Man utd were utd fans? Seriously? He will have that extra hunger by playing for his favourite team. Apart from making our midfield complete, he can score goals and has a massive presence in defending corners and in opposite box by scoring headers, he also has long powerful 30 yrd shots in him.

Saying we need a midfielder who needs to be able to pass the ball and the game has changed etc. Is absolutely talking bullcrap, there are so few midfielders that are good defensively and also play ticki taki football, there needs is a balance/comprimise between the two, why do you think Barcelona brought song, he had was perfect balance of the roles.?

That is all to say. Bring Him to Utd. Regarding other clubs being in for him, he will choose utd and I'd bet everything on that, but its just that utd need to make that approach and bid!!
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think we are that covered in midfield, so I wouldn't mind seeing it happen this window. The quoted fee is £10m which does seem a little low considering what £10m usually buys you these days.
£10m for him would be a bargain.

Be a good move for him as well considering the quality of Scottish football not being all that great.
Reply 783
So Guardian is reporting the deal will be done for Zaha by the weekend. Looks like it is definitely happening now then (never really sure with the amount of crap Daily mail etc spout and change)

£10m + £5m potentially based on apps + percentage of sell on fee + stays at Palace for the season

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/23/wilfried-zaha-manchester-united?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Reply 784
I've seen Wanyama play a few times and he looks class. Would be a very good signing imo.
Reply 785
Casillas ruled out of both United Real Madrid ties with a broken hand apparently
Sky Sports reporting that 'Zaha is set for medical within the next 48 hours'. Looks like he's actually coming to united then.
Reply 787
Original post by DH1'
Casillas ruled out of both United Real Madrid ties with a broken hand apparently

Never nice to see someone get an injury but it could be a fairly big loss for them if he misses them, even one of them.
Reply 788
£15 million for a player in the Championship? Makes me want to cry. Would be 7-9 million if he wasn't English.

It especially annoys me when Sneijder went for £8.4 million, we are OK wingers wise, we need a ****ing CM and a CB and we splash £15mil on a Championship winger :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 789
It's good that our players won't have to face one of the best goalkeepers in goal (although I'm not implying that it's a good thing that Casillas broke his hand, unlucky for him and I hope he gets better).

How's their reserve keeper? Average?
Reply 790
Original post by qasidb
How's their reserve keeper? Average?

Casillas had actually been dropped for most of January in favor of Adan. Although I think it was a bust up with Mourinho rather than him playing particularly bad.
I'm not to bothered about the whole Championship thing. He could have easily jumped ship to the PL quality wise. He's just as good as Ox at Arsenal and I doubt you could get him for £15m. You have to take a gamble sometime. I would think £15m is a pretty safe bet. 20 years old, he could be at the club for 10+ years.

I don't think he is being bought instead of a CM so wouldn't worry too much.

Reserve keeper at Madrid is pretty average, massive loss for Madrid mentally as much as quality wise. Next biggest voice in that dressing room is apparently Ramos, so hopefully he and Jose will be at each others necks in the coming weeks.
Reply 792
£15m (be closer to £13m realistically apparently) isn't too much. Walcott was younger, less experienced, and wasn't bought for much less altogether and was over 6 years ago. He is doing pretty well for himself (no matter how much hate he gets, he is worth what they have been paying for him over the years, perhaps not the new cotnract though). Same with Ox, similar price, less experienced, younger. Juries out just how good he can be, but its early times and it looks promising.

I love the look of Zaha by the ~ 1000 minutes i've seen of him. He is a mix of power and build (Valencia) and ball control and skills (Nani).

He is inconsistent, but so is every young talented player. When he is at his best he is top four premier quality, already, you can't say that much about many championship players. He will get plenty of minutes, the wing position is essentially the easiest one for a player such as him to get as much apps as possible as there is a lot of chopping and changing, subbing people off etc. SAF will do wonders with him.
Reply 794
Federico Macheda is set to join VfB Stuttgart on loan for the remainder of the season. http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/Jan/federico-macheda-set-to-join-stuttgart.aspx

Hope he get's on well for once. Feel sorry for the lad, hopefully there won't be any managerial changes. He's clearly got talent.
(edited 11 years ago)
I like the way Zaha has seemingly kept his mouth shut too, unlike Hazard for example. He's going to have to get used to the change, being the biggest fish to being just another player probably 4th choice.

SAF already lining up the next batch of talent with Kagawa, Powell, Zaha, Cleverly, Ando, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rafael, Chica, Welbeck, De Gea, all the right side of 25.

Hopefully Kiko makes a bit of an impact. He's still only 21, younger than Welbeck. Plenty of time if he can get a run of games.
I cannot envisage Kiko having a substantial future at Utd. He needs regular football to really kick on, and he's not going to get that with us.

Some papers have put 2 and 2 together, and said Nani is leaving due to the Zaha deal. Tbh, both him and Valencia are equally frustrating imo. Valencia has regressed badly, while Nani has been injured. I would like to keep Nani, though - he's a special player.
Thanks to the Great Dane for bringing clarity from a GK's view of De Gea's "error" on Sunday.

Yeah I'd agree with Kiko, time for him to move on for good.
I get the feeling Nani or Valencia will be going in the summer, especially with the possible arrival of Zaha. Nani seems the more likely one to go due to inconsistency and his ludicrous wages he seems to be demanding.

Agree with a definite need for a 'battling' central midfielder, something I think we have missed since Keane left in 2006.
Oh and anyone who is going the FA Cup game vs Fulham on Saturday, please take a look at this:

www.reclaimunited.co.uk

Latest