The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogwartian1993
Oh thank you! Going to have to bargain hunt; I guessing the £22 for a college scarf on the internet is a bit of a rip off?! If not, I'm going to be a very poor but very well college-clothed student.

:smile: It is a bit expensive, but I think worth it! You'll probably keep that scarf for ages, right?

Btw, I think the price difference between R&A and E&R in terms of scarves is about £5-8, but for gowns/hoodies/etc. it may be more...
Just a warning: scarves are itchy!
Tomorrow I have a Critical Thinking exam which I don't need to do but I am and I've found it really hard to revise for because of that :tongue: I'm also doing a history coursework resit because I was ill last year so I didn't get the A* I was predicted. Again, I organised this before I got my offer so I may as well finish it and try and get the A up. And then I'm doing GCSE Latin to prepare for my degree. I also do a little bit of volunteering as well. Motivation to do things I really don't need to do anymore is hard, apart from the Latin. I love the Latin :') Are you gap year as well? :smile:

you're doing a GCSE on your gap year? That's ****ing awesome, I might do that ****, take up a language or something - or just retake all my Standard Grades and get straight 1's, that might be a bit weird though...
I'm going to be yea, reapplying next year, I was so unprepared this year.
Where are you doing these subjects, at a college?
Not directed at me but I have a college hoody and a university polo already (they were gifts) but I want more merchandise. I'll be like a walking college advertisement come October...

haha i love 'stash' ill probably be the same :colondollar: the biggest 'disadvantage' about (hopefully) going to cambridge is that no one has a university hoodie as they are too touristy!

Thank god for colleges!
Reply 1564
Hello everyone ... I just signed up right now.
I have got an offer to do engineering degree at Christ's college.
A*AAA, IELTS 7.5 and grade II in STEP II.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by I am Ace
you're doing a GCSE on your gap year? That's ****ing awesome, I might do that ****, take up a language or something - or just retake all my Standard Grades and get straight 1's, that might be a bit weird though...
I'm going to be yea, reapplying next year, I was so unprepared this year.
Where are you doing these subjects, at a college?

Yeah, haha, its so much fun! And really useful for my degree!
Aaah, good luck! You'll be fine. Aaand, yes, my old sixth form, they're amazing! :biggrin:
Original post by Waves_1995
haha i love 'stash' ill probably be the same :colondollar: the biggest 'disadvantage' about (hopefully) going to cambridge is that no one has a university hoodie as they are too touristy!

Thank god for colleges!

Haha, there's not shame in it! I'm going to Cambridge this week and, after a few days debating, I've decided I'm going to get my college gown when I go down in case they increase in price nearer matriculation :tongue: I'm sure you'll get your grades, have faith! And I know, I was so excited to get a university hoody but they are just for tourists, I might get a Cambridge hoody for when I'm back home, but in Cam wear my college one. So many choices... cannot wait to go back this week and be touristy :biggrin:
Haha, there's not shame in it! I'm going to Cambridge this week and, after a few days debating, I've decided I'm going to get my college gown when I go down in case they increase in price nearer matriculation :tongue: I'm sure you'll get your grades, have faith! And I know, I was so excited to get a university hoody but they are just for tourists, I might get a Cambridge hoody for when I'm back home, but in Cam wear my college one. So many choices... cannot wait to go back this week and be touristy :biggrin:

lol good idea! all so exciting, love it!
Yay, gap year student, what did you do on your year out, miss Granger?

Gap year students' biggest pro: unconditional!!!!!!!
Reply 1569
Have any conditional offer holders replied to UCAS and firmed yet? It's scary and I'm worried I might press the wrong buttons...:giggle:
I found one on a college website - simply google the name of the college plus the word "merchandise" and something should pop up :wink:
Original post by Waves_1995
did you buy a college hoodie? what is it actually like - is it the one found on the ryder and amies website?

My gap year is very structured in a way but so unbelievably UNRELATED to what I am going to study. It's very hard not to go insane with excitement with all these people around me who don't have any sympathy for my crazy state because they don't even want to go to uni. I guess I will be insane by October...
I know! gap years are so hard. They're good because obviously we get to go to Cam but they're bad because I think I may be insane by Michaelmas.
Ohmygodyes
Original post by cawcarrot
gap year students' biggest pro: Unconditional!!!!!!!

It is a pretty good feeling :biggrin: but being on a gap year and waiting without anything massively important to do for a year has its moments. I've complained about being on a gap year but this gap years meant I've got into Cambridge so I tend not to moan as much anymore :wink:
It is a pretty good feeling :biggrin: but being on a gap year and waiting without anything massively important to do for a year has its moments. I've complained about being on a gap year but this gap years meant I've got into Cambridge so I tend not to moan as much anymore :wink:

And also one more thing - we took a big risk and got a big reward !!!! Taking a year out was a huge risk for me - it's still a 25% chance I would make it into Cambridge
Reply 1574
Original post by TLi1295
Have any conditional offer holders replied to UCAS and firmed yet? It's scary and I'm worried I might press the wrong buttons...:giggle:

My daughter has - and she asked me to sit beside her while she did it, to make sure (and spread the blame!). Firmed Catz (Nat Sci A*AA) and insured Lancaster (Nat Sci AAA). It is easy and no real chance of messing up - just do it!
Reply 1575
Original post by bb193
My daughter has - and she asked me to sit beside her while she did it, to make sure (and spread the blame!). Firmed Catz (Nat Sci A*AA) and insured Lancaster (Nat Sci AAA). It is easy and no real chance of messing up - just do it!

Ah haha ok I don't think I'll change my mind about my insurance so I think I'll reply then :biggrin:

And congrats to your daughter on her offers!
Reply 1576
tried to reject 2 of my offers and leave the other 3 for the time being but it wouldnt let me you have to do the lot or none .
Thought it might open places up to others
Reply 1577

Gap year students' ONLY pro :wink: My gap year is quickly turning out to be the most boring year of my life.
I'm so glad we're talking about gap years!
People should share their experience from finishing school/ college to the summer, coming up to interview etc. And what you plan to do coming up till the start of the Cambridge year
Reply 1579
I'm so glad we're talking about gap years!
People should share their experience from finishing school/ college to the summer, coming up to interview etc. And what you plan to do coming up till the start of the Cambridge year

It's funny, for some reason I thought Cambridge applicants/offer-holders would have an even higher direct:gap-year ratio than elsewhere.

By the ratio in this thread though, perhaps not!

With hindsight, I think I would have taken a gap Summer. But I stand by not wanting to take a whole year. Lol, by gap Summer I just mean go travelling between June exams and going up to Cambridge, or anywhere else, later in the year.

As it is I'm spending about a month away, but the excitement for that makes me wish I was going for longer :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending