The Student Room Group

No January exams from September... how to cope with 9 exams minimum in summer?

Just shock when i confirmed the news and started to panic.
I have no idea am i going to cope with the pressure, can someone please tell me how?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone will be feeling the pressure so consequently exam performance will decrease and therefore so will grade boundaries.

At least I'm hoping that will happen. That's the only thought bringing me comfort and preventing me from dropping out of education and selling Big Issue.
Last year my centre wouldn't allow me to sit any AS exams in January because apparently we weren't "mature enough" to deal with AS papers.

Anyhow, come may/june I had 8/9 exams (cant remember how many :P). The key is preperation, focus and time management. Don't leave revision late, revise accordingly to the methods which suit you and use your time effectively. Personally, I work best constantly completing questions and stuff. Just try not to panic when it comes to the exams! I did but i learnt how to relax in the exam hall and take my time - not rushing the exams and not making stupid mistakes! I know it is easy to stress out and panic because its a very stressful time! But try you best and revise nice and early and you'l smash your exams! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Sparkliest
Everyone will be feeling the pressure so consequently exam performance will decrease and therefore so will grade boundaries.

At least I'm hoping that will happen. That's the only thought bringing me comfort and preventing me from dropping out of education and selling Big Issue.

I thought they were trying to make the exams harder as well. Since that is that they are doing with the GCSEs.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by SheldonBlooper
Last year my centre wouldn't allow me to sit any AS exams in January because apparently we weren't "mature enough" to deal with AS papers.

Anyhow, come may/june I had 8/9 exams (cant remember how many :P). The key is preperation, focus and time management. Don't leave revision late, revise accordingly to the methods which suit you and use your time effectively. Personally, I work best constantly completing questions and stuff. Just try not to panic when it comes to the exams! I did but i learnt how to relax in the exam hall and take my time - not rushing the exams and not making stupid mistakes! I know it is easy to stress out and panic because its a very stressful time! But try you best and revise nice and early and you'l smash your exams! Good luck! :smile:

Thank you for the advice. Is there a method of how to relax in exams? How did you learn it?

Reply 5
Original post by SheldonBlooper

Key word is accordingly.

Good revision tip.
Reply 6
Original post by Bookler_Natsu
I have no idea am i going to cope with the pressure, can someone please tell me how?

REVISE FROM THE BEGINNING. Do not start serious revision late in the year. Be constantly prepared and then when you get to revision time, it will be actual revision and not re-learning everything.
Hey, don't worry.
Just create a revision timetable and study smart!
E.g past papers, mark schemes examiner reports. And of course genuine knowledge of the units. You'll do fine. Stay optimistic.
Reply 8
If you got 9 this year then next year shouldn't be terribly different, I'm gonna have 9 in summer this year 9 next year as well, since my jan modules didn't turn out good; dedicate a lot of time to your subjects, nail down exam technique... that's clearly where I went wrong with history, don't just read to memorise things, write them and try to remain hydrated and upbeat, if you start ****ting yourself you're going to fail. Other then that just try to strike a balance with the 9exams next year, remember their will not be the intrusion of jan modules, so we have more months to learn everything; and this could play into your hands well if you do maths or a similar subject.
Reply 9
My sixth form doesn't enter any year 12s in January exams anyway so this year I've got 10 exams in the summer so it will just the same as what I'm used to next year.

Reply 10
Thank you for the advice. Is there a method of how to relax in exams? How did you learn it?

One from my old martial arts instructor:
When you're feeling stressed or like you can't focus in an exam, stop writing, close your eyes, imagine that there is just blue light around you in every direction, and breathe. After thirty seconds or so you should have relaxed at least a little bit and have an easier time focusing on the rest of your exam. It's usually well worth giving up thirty seconds of writing time.
Original post by Robbie242
If you got 9 this year then next year shouldn't be terribly different, I'm gonna have 9 in summer this year 9 next year as well, since my jan modules didn't turn out good; dedicate a lot of time to your subjects, nail down exam technique... that's clearly where I went wrong with history, don't just read to memorise things, write them and try to remain hydrated and upbeat, if you start ****ting yourself you're going to fail. Other then that just try to strike a balance with the 9exams next year, remember their will not be the intrusion of jan modules, so we have more months to learn everything; and this could play into your hands well if you do maths or a similar subject.

The thing is i never had so many exams all at once before, GCSEs are exceptions as they're easy. I'm only just to small batches at once, too much pressure will lead me to failure. :frown:

Original post by fizzgig
One from my old martial arts instructor:
When you're feeling stressed or like you can't focus in an exam, stop writing, close your eyes, imagine that there is just blue light around you in every direction, and breathe. After thirty seconds or so you should have relaxed at least a little bit and have an easier time focusing on the rest of your exam. It's usually well worth giving up thirty seconds of writing time.

Thank you :smile: I'll try it when I'm revising then I'll give it a go in a exam

Original post by anonymouspie227
Hey, don't worry.
Just create a revision timetable and study smart!
E.g past papers, mark schemes examiner reports. And of course genuine knowledge of the units. You'll do fine. Stay optimistic.

Never created a revision timetable before. :frown: Doubt I'll stick to it even if I have done one.

Chill, cupcake :smile:
Focus on one thing at a time and you'll be surprised how well you can cope.
Providing you plan and don't leave revision too late (like I did for my AS last year - I had three exams on one day and was so stressed the night before I honestly felt like I could do nothing but go to bed. absolutely awful) you will be fine.

Avoid thinking about how much it is, and plan plan plan plan plan - but don't do what I sometimes do and spend so much time planning, there's none left for actually doing.
Think about it in small chunks: "I now need to revise the economic causes of Detente in the Cold War" not "I now need to revise all of history" and it will seem easier and less horrifying :smile:

Good luck with your exams - to be honest I'm pleased I get out just before they cut January exams - but everyone will be in exactly the same boat :smile:
Original post by AvadaKedavra
Chill, cupcake :smile:
Focus on one thing at a time and you'll be surprised how well you can cope.
Providing you plan and don't leave revision too late (like I did for my AS last year - I had three exams on one day and was so stressed the night before I honestly felt like I could do nothing but go to bed. absolutely awful) you will be fine.

Avoid thinking about how much it is, and plan plan plan plan plan - but don't do what I sometimes do and spend so much time planning, there's none left for actually doing.
Think about it in small chunks: "I now need to revise the economic causes of Detente in the Cold War" not "I now need to revise all of history" and it will seem easier and less horrifying :smile:

Good luck with your exams - to be honest I'm pleased I get out just before they cut January exams - but everyone will be in exactly the same boat :smile:

Three exams in one day?! Wow. And thank you :smile: though I'm not a "planning" person but I'll try, think I'll end up same as you, planning non stop but no actual studying :wink:

Just remember everyone will be in the same position, so the grade boundaries should change accordingly :smile: Don't stress yourself by revising non-stop, do short 1 hour sessions followed by regular breaks and rewards - you will be more motivated, and keep concentration levels for longer. Good luck!
Reply 17
I have 9 exams :frown:
I find it hard to balance revising for 5 different subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by madz2802
I have 9 exams :frown:
I find it hard to balance revising for 5 different subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I have 8 exams in May/June this year :frown::frown::frown:
I found it hard enough coping with my 3 exams in January hahah but luckily I came out with the results I was hoping for :eek::eek::eek:

Good luck in Summer!

Did your parents do A levels?

If so, ask them.

It is what they had to do when they were in VIth form.

However the answer might involve having to dress like this

Quick Reply

Latest